Gallien Krueger 700RbII vs Genz Benz GBE600 vs Hartke 5500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bigjoe, Feb 26, 2005.

1. bigjoe

Feb 26, 2005
    Being an Australian and hence having limited access to affordable heads (damn import prices), I've had to narrow it down to these three for my new rig. However, I have no idea which to choose. If it helps, the cabs will probably be inexpensive for now, perhaps Behringer or such. I play in a metal band that attemps to play classier music with clean/experimental/soft instrumental interludes as well as Meshuggah style heaviness. Also, I will be playing a Warwick Corvette through a Gt-6b. Any advice?
  2. buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    GBE 600 without a doubt!!
  3. pdxmar

Feb 13, 2005
    I say go for the GBE 600. I tried the amps your looking at side by side along with swr 550 and Mesa big block and the GBE600 blew them all away. Like men against boys.......
  4. i say the gallien-krueger, those things are very very VERY loud and only weigh 18 pounds.
  5. bigjoe

Feb 26, 2005
    Hmmm, my instinct for some reason tells me the Gallien Krueger though I really have nothing to back it up with. I understand that Hartke's are meant to be somewhat trashy but I've also heard differing opinions on this thread. While I plan to try them out, it may not be possible as I will have to order them in to buy them, and the next city may not have them either. Hmmmmm...
  6. The GBE 600 will absolutely own those other heads, and if you're running at 810 cabinet, you can be heard over just about any guitarist.
  7. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Genz. I used to use GK, but I ended up switching to Genz. Its some much more versatile than GK's head, and it can cut through just as much. Plus they're louder in my opinion. You get more bang for your buck.
  8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I own the Hartke 5500 but I got it at an insane price. If the GK or GB were at the same price range I would have bought one or the other. Having said that, my Hartke kicks ass for my needs. Plenty loud and barely breaks a sweat! I think the GK kicks ass in the loudness dept. though. Back in the mid 80's I had a choice between a Peavey TNT130 and a GK150 (I think)(that little square metal thingy w/15"). I couldn't believe how loud that little thing was but I chose the Peavey. I figured bigger was better back then.
  9. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Warwick and Genz were practically made to go together. Genz is the only amp that can make Warwicks sound so great. Try your corvette through one and you'll see what I mean.
  10. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    There is something not quite right here... :eyebrow: :confused: :ninja:
  11. R Briere

R Briere Bass-ically Yours

In THIS Corner and wearing the Genz Benz trunks is the reigning Champion in this contest. Of course, that just my opinion....but since there are so many others leaning that way as well, I feel pretty good about it. :)