Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gallien Krueger 800RB - Buzz Issues?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lokire, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Hello. I've had a Gallien Krueger 800RB (one of the older ones) for a while but up untill now I've always used the DI out on it. Then today, I got my Epifani NYC115 cab and plugged it into the GK head. Plugged into the cab there is a constant light buzzing that isn't affected by any volume or EQ changes. If I have the volume, and master outputs all the way down it's still there. I also notice that there is a simmilar buzz coming from the head itself, whenever it's turned on (cab or not).

Is this a normal thing or is it just the effects of an aging GK head? Anything I can do about it?

Thanks

...Epifani cab sounds awesome btw :D

2. Try using a grounding plug adapter even if you are plugged into a seemingly grounded outlet.

3. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Got a link to something like that? I had a weird buzz one night that never could be duplicated so having one of these in my bag might be cool to have.

4. does it buzz with the bass unplugged from the amp?

5. Yeah, it buzzes with no bass plugged in and with the volume and Masters all the way down. The head itself physically buzzes too, with no cab or anything plugged in :meh: It's one of the older 800RBs, from the 80s or something I think.

6. It took me a while to get back to this.
    I have no answer if your head buzzes by itself.
    I believe you should have your bass and cab plugged up when you power on your GK head for some non- damaging reason. You did it for troubleshooting.
    Have you taken your head in yet?
    I have a 89', I think, GK 800rb and it has had serious trouble only twice in 20 years. One time was from my "friend" using improperly for prolonged periods of time till a spark and flame shot out my input. It is now retired and I will never sell it.

In my earlier post I mentioned how I corrected a buzz coming from my cab. I was plugged into a three prong outlet in the wall of a newer construction building but was getting buzz. I grabbed a grounding adapter and plugged into it then the wall and eliminated the buzz.

7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Nonsense. For a solid state amp, there is no damage in turning on an amp without a speaker or instrument plugged into it.

VERY dangerous, it is that ground pin that protects you from electric shock. Especially if you plan on touching a microphone at the same time your hands are on your bass. NOT a good idea.

8. Hey, I recommend going to the GK website forum. I did see someone posting about buzzing on there.

Quote:
    "Nonsense. For a solid state amp, there is no damage in turning on an amp without a speaker or instrument plugged into it."

Thanks for the nonsense alert. Now, why?
    After my first repair of my old GK head that was among the written advice that came back with my amp, but the tech did not explain why. I know Eden's WT series are safe to have on unplugged, but not why.
    The answer may be obvious to some, but you don't just come in saying nonsense and not backing yourself up. I, for one, am honestly curious and always like learning about my bass gear.

Quote:
    "VERY dangerous, it is that ground pin that protects you from electric shock. Especially if you plan on touching a microphone at the same time your hands are on your bass. NOT a good idea."

You are 100% right and if you have played a myriad of places and venues then you know how often this is a problem. A high percentage of older homes and businesses, regardless of the outward appearance of their outlets, are this way. That is why I carry the adapters.....to ground myself ....removing the danger.......a GOOD idea.