Gallien-Krueger 800RB questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tightbidness, Mar 29, 2004.

1. This weekend in my continuing search for a warm, relatively small, portable rig I visited Rock City Guitars in Somerville, Massachusetts. Justin had his portable rig in the store: a 1970s Alembic preamp through the power section of a GK 800RB and then into various cab combinations. I searched the archives and it seems a few people on TB do this as well. That makes a lot of sense, because if the pre goes down there's still a fully-functioning amp. So my latest notion is to get an Aguilar, Ampeg or some other preamp, an older 800RB and either a Bergantino or Aguilar 1x15 cabinet.

I'm curious if the 800RB can handle the a 5-string bass? Some of the newer GK heads have a 4/5 switch. Will this even matter when I use the 800RB as a power amp only? Also, is anyone using this amp with a 1x15 cabinet, specifically the Aggie or Berg?

BTW, Rock City is such a nice shop. They had vintage Ampegs, an Acoustic, a Sunn in stock, a Sadowsky Tokyo, two Atelier Z 5-strings, a row of cool Fenders. Justin hung out with my brother and me well after closing time, just shooting the breeze, talking about music and the bass.
  2. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I've been using a 5 string with my 800rb
    for years with no problems. As you may have
    seen in other threads, I use my Tyler 5 through
    either a Fodera or Sadowsky preamp, into the
    effects return of my GK. Works great! I also use
    my bass straight into the amp too. All depends on
    the sound i'm looking for, and the music.
  3. duke2004

duke2004 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    800 rb is one of the great amps,
    and they are cheap. though not
    as bulletproof as claimed.
    tons of headroom for 5 string
    i just use single 8ohm @200watts but
    it depends on sensitivity of your cab

yeah and rock city rocks
  4. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    I had a 800rb for about 4-5 years and only played 5 and 6 string through it. Never had a problem. The cab I used was a swr 610 and swr 8x8.
  5. Thanks for the responses. This seems like a good way to go. Used 800RBs are plentiful in the stores around here and on the Web.