Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gallien Krueger + Aguilar?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by philthygeezer, Aug 2, 2005.

1. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Seems like chocolate and peanut butter. Do they go well together?

2. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    *Tumbleweed blows by...*

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I used a GK1001RBII through an Aguilar 212 for about a year. I thought it was a good combination. The GK was a powerful, clean sounding amp, and the Aggie added a bit of booty.

4. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Can't imagine it wouldn't sound very good. The GK is tight and punchy, could be a good match. Everytime I power up my GK1001-II I smile a little and it never gets old.

5. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I used to run a 400RB-III into a GS410.

It was my primary setup for probably 6 to 8 months. I still kick myself for selling it. Plus, I'm ampless now (*sigh, shakes head).

Here's my take on GK and Aguilar used together:

It's phenominal. The 400RBIII and the 410 were very crisp and hi-fi sounding, but still gave you that signature growl when you wanted it. Plus the lows and highs are just outstanding. I'm not much of a mids guy for some reason. Another thing is, I NEVER had trouble keeping up with my band during practice or gigs. EVER. In fact, I had to turn down sometimes. Both of the guitarists used Marshall 1/2-stacks. I mean, if they REALLY cranked it I'd be in a spot... but when do they really use it much past 9 anyway?

The last thing that I have to say is that people other than myself, bandmates, or fellow musicians realized the quality of the sound. I constanly recieved comments on the sound of my amp. My brother, who brags about his ability to play the kazoo, said it was probably the best sounding bass amp he ever heard; and that he could always feel my playing in his chest through that amp.

So yeah. GK + Aguilar = No need for cowbell.

EDIT: I suck at reviewing gear. If you want something that makes sense: It was cool.

6. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Did you find that the GK made up for mids that the Aggie lacked?