Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gallien Krueger Amps and Eden Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KBase, Sep 19, 2005.

1. KBase

KBase

Jan 30, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    I sure this may have been covered before but for the sake of time I am going to go forth anyhow.

I am curious to how the combination of GK head would sound on top a Eden cabinet...?? ie: GK 400RB IV with Eden 2x10 XLT

Comments.... Concerns.....

2. I used that rig for years. Everybody liked it that I played with. The GK is fast, and the Eden is warm, so they end up working well together. It couldn't get REAL loud, I couldn't play with a metal band or anything. And it sucked off-axis. I had to stand right in front of it on stage. But at normal volumes, on a small stage, it was pretty good. Very reliable, cheap, and portable too. I played 5-string and that was no problem (except real loud). I played funk, jazz, rock, pop, blues, latin, reggae, country, electronica,... professionally with that setup. I know a couple other guys that have used it happily as well.

I've since upgraded. There's definitely better sounds out there for not too much more money. Well, that rig costs what, $750 used? My rig now (thunderfunk/Aguilar 212), you could get for like $1200 used. So it is 50% more, but that's still not much money in the grand scheme of things if you're serious.

3. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    I've used my 700RBII with my D210XLT (4 ohm) many times and together they rock! Plenty loud AND deep!

Heck, I usually have to dial OUT some bass! Don't know if you would get the same thing with the 400RBIV though.

:D

Joe.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I used that rig for a couple of year. Eden 210 and a 1001RB. Great stuff. I want to get another Eden 210, actually.

Now I use and ampeg 4x8 or a hartke 410

5. Im just curious, not trying to hijack the thread, but those of you who have used GK amps, do you think they sound a bit sterile? Not trying to get the train off the track.. Just curious..

FWIW, I've owned 2 GK 700RBs for about 7 years now so I'm not knocking on them.

6. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Nah.

You CAN dial them in to sound sterile but you can also dial them in to be warm. But to be honest I have yet to find a GK slap tone that knocks my socks off.

Nevertheless, GK rocks.

Joe.

7. Yeah, I kinda feel the same about the slap tone.. You really have to have a great preamp. I think the combination of my modulus and the GK produce a REALLY dry, non-dirty tone. Its really weird to say, but my GK makes my $130 Essex sound better than my Modulus.

8. KBase

KBase

Jan 30, 2002
    Chicago, IL

Thankx for your input I've been thinking about upgrading the 400 to the 700 or jus keep the 400 for smaller gigs and/or backup amp

9. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    No prob.

But also keep in mind that my 210 is a 4ohm cab so it gets full juice power from my GK 700RBII.

Plus you will need to consider the size of room you will be playing. For most gigs the D210XLT was enough but for bigger gigs it wasn't.

Makes an awesome stage monitor for when you go through the P.A. though.

Joe.

10. schmittuml

schmittuml Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    currently runnin a 1001RB-II inot an 8ohm XLT...... great setup, does a lot, but it does suck off-axis and I like to be right in front of it to feel and hear it, but who doesnt? I am upgrading considerably but it does pack a good one two punch......very good rock sound.

11. KBase

KBase

Jan 30, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    I play mostly contemporary gospel so i like to have that Miller funk but that Haslip smoothness to it. Finding the right combination has definetly taken some time and research.

12. HRC Matt

HRC Matt

Aug 31, 2004
    Columbus, Ga
    I am currently using a eden 210XLT w/ matching 115DX powering through a GK 700RBII. The tone cuts through with ease, but the power isn't what I am looking for personally. I owned some older mesa cabs that were 10x as loud but as for cut I was not satisfied. I am currently upgrading to an Ampeg Classic 810e or SWR Goliath. So if your in the Atlanta area and or considering to buy one used, these are about 7 months old.

13. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    I currently use a 700RB-II with an Eden 212XLT.
    The cab is 4 ohms and the sound is awesome!!!

I love this combination. The eden is clear and loud and the GK is very transparent.

danman