Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gallien-Krueger Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by funkysurfer, Jun 22, 2001.

1. The other day I played a 400RB 210 combo amp and I really thought it sounded nice with my Stingray. However, I have a 8 ohm 410TX Peavey cab that handles 350 RMS and it is extremely underpowered by my Carvin PB300 head. So I am in the market for a powerful, clean amp with a killer tone shaping pre-amp. I was considering the 700RB head, or anything else that meets my criteria for my Peavey cab.

Whatever feedback anyone could give me will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Shawn

2. caveman

caveman

Nov 19, 2000
    hey funkysurfer

I have a 800Rb GK and LOVE it!
    Been using it about a year and no problems.
    Plenty of juice and a good variety nice clean of sound.
    I use the bi-amp through one cab which has an
    Eminence 8" and 15" wired separately.

3. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    funkysurfer what kinda stuff did you play on the gk combo? like did it sound good slapping?

ive been thinking about that combo or a gk head also. maybe the 700 or 800rb. or the the 400 or 700rb/210. but need to play through one of those some more before i decide.

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I just bought the 400RB 210 combo last night. In fact, just finished playing for about 2 hours on it. I played my G&L L-2500 for about an hour and switched to my Tobias Growler for a while. Both sounded really good. I play finger and slap and was very happy with the sound. Tight and punchy. Very GK. It seems pretty loud for only 150 watts. Especially when you point it back at your head. I A/Bed the amp with a Nemesis 210CP and prefered the GK hands down for what I do. I don't think you could go wrong with GK.

5. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    i have a 400rb head thru a SWR workingmans 1x15 cab, it sounds great. what was your preamp volume and master volume when you play chasarms? my pre is at 5 and my master at 4 this is for my band.

6. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    ya can't beat a GK 400rb for the $. i was thinking really hard about GK before i spent too much and got my SWR setup. oops.

8. WAKOJACO

WAKOJACO Guest

Jul 5, 2000
    Binghamton, NY
    GKs have a characteristic tone that some like and others can do without.

I don't totally understand why they are so biased towards bi-amping, with integrated amps of different wattage. Go figure.

9. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Funkysurfer

I have owned GK 400, 800, and I bought a 1001rb last year. I strongly recommend that you buy the 1001 for a few dollars more.

Rather than reposting my comments that I posted in a previous thread, I suggest you do a search for GK, or 1001, in this forum. There have been a number of previous posts that discussed this issue at length. It will be very informative, they get into detail on power and tone.

10. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I leave the preamp volume set at high noon. Straight up. I usually run the master at about 1 oclock. I am not looking for volume at all. I use the amp almost exclusively as a stage monitor. We use electronic drums so there is no need for a ton of volume.

Chas

11. FleaisGod

FleaisGod Guest

Jun 18, 2000
    Atlanta, GA
    heya,
    I have a GK 700RB with an SWR Goliath, and it rocks my world. You can definatley get a wide range of sounds from the 700RB.
    -Rob