Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gallien-Krueger Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metalsmack, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Hey, Im thinking about getting one of these amps but i don't know much about them can someone tell me the histroy and the good and bads of these amps, Im think about getting mabey the 700rb/112 Bi-amped combo. thanks,
    brandon

2. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    GKs are clean and transparent, but still pretty warm. They really accentuate attack a lot, too.

The 800RB is the mid-rangiest of the bunch, while all the others are more scooped sounding (when set flat).

3. Well i just got done looking at their web site and it looked great. But i want to make sure my money will not be wasted buying one of these amps.At the moment i have nothing but a 40-watt peavey combo and its just not going to cut it with what im going to do.

4. Bassdadto2

Bassdadto2

Dec 3, 2001
    California
    A couple of things you may want to know. First of all, Gallien- Krueger is a great amp, but they do have a rep for blowing easily. I think they are using a better power supply now, so this may no longer be an issue.

Secondly, the Biamp feature only works with GK speakers. I don't know if you plan to use this feature, but I think it is a good thing to know.

That 700rb is one of the best sounding combo's I have ever heard.

5. Well, whats the best 150-watt amp with a price of $450 or below. At first i want to get ampeg but thats to expensive for me. Kinda thought about SWR but not much. And then of course maybe just getting a better peavey amp. Whats would the best amp be? Im in a metal band now, but im going to try to get in the school jazz band too. So i'll need something for these two things.

6. i heard some of the peavey combos were pretty good actually, and you can get a good deal on em used

Back to GKs, i have a 700rb and i love it its a good investment IMO

7. I LOVE MY G-K!!!!!!!!!!!! It's really very versatile, in my experience. I have a wide variety of projects I'm working on. I can rock hardcore with Jake and Joe, do the smooth jazz trio and dub thing with Ben and John, then slap for my girlfriend. All in one day!!! (I've done it). Sure, G-K is a little scooped when set flat, but the EQ is versatile enough that you can get pretty much any sound you need, warm or cold, thick or thin, clear or muddy.

Go G-K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    The 700RB rocks!!! I'm don't have very much experience with their cabs and speakers, but it's good that you actually get to take advantage of the bi-amp feature. I'm stuck for now running in full range. Still sounds great, but it would be nice to have the option.

9. I just got one of the new "Backline" 250 amp heads, (scratch and dent at MF for $229) and I am VERY impressed for the money. I am sending it to a Hartke 410XL and it sounds far better than my dead peavey head ever did. Check out the backline stuff! At least the amps are solid.

10. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I have to add to this thread just to give the other side of the coin.

I HATE GK stuff. Every single GK setup I've played through sounded terrible to me, very stale, very dry, very 'blah'. SWR SM-900 or an Eden WT-800 would be a much better amp in my opinion... or an Ampeg Classic SVT if you want to lug all that weight around.

11. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    what about the 400RB210 combo, the 700RB's smaller bro? how does this fare for its price, and most importantly is it LOUD?! :D i'm in the market for this little beast, and just thought i'd add my question in this thread so as not to bother with a new one of similar content.
    merged threads perturb me almost as much as a talking cow.

12. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    For the money you are thinking of spending the GK 800RB is IMHO probably the best. And you can biamp the 800rb with speakers other than GKs. I've done it for over 15 years using a variety of cabs and my 17 year old 800rb has never blown. They will blow if you crank them past what they are supposed to do, but not if used responsibly. The GK works well for upright and electric and is pretty portable too.

13. jimmysquid

jimmysquid

Jul 5, 2000
    Hey guys,

Glad I found this post, I have a sick GK 800 RB.

Someone mentioned a power supply issue with GK and that's definitely what's going on with mine. I run my 800 RB though a Hartke 4X10 Transporter. I'll be playing with my band (4 piece, singer-acoustic gtr,gtr, and drums) and I'll have to crank up to 7 or 8 to get enough volume. Then 10 minutes later my volume jumps up really drastically. I'll turn down but then I'll lose power again and repeat the whole thing. What the hell?

I dont' have to send this back to GK, do I. Is it a part someone locally can replace?

14. Well my teacher thanks that i should get a 150 watt peavey tnt. it is huge, with one 15 in it. And it cost $550 bucks. So im thinking of them but i saw that GK and it looks like a good deal, but like said earlyer they should do good if not go past their limit. How loud can i get the 700rb amp? And the peavey, does that sound like a good deal, i think i will check out their website for more info...

15. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I don't know what your budget is, but if you are spending $550 for the Peavey and it is 150 watts. I would put the money into the Carvin 210 combo that has something like 600 watts bridged and I think it's only like $150 above what you're spending already. It's a tilt-back cabinet and Carvins are much cheaper because they sell direct. Just my opinion, but you'll have lots of clean power (which is the most important element in reproducing good clean bass) and for that extra money you're quadrupling the watts of the Peavey. If I were a young guy looking for bang for the buck value that's probably the way I would go. I would check out their website just to see. Good Luck.

16. Wow that sounds like a deal of a life time. Sounds alomost to good to be true. Im going to go a look at the website. But you just gave me the goods of that amp, now where is the bads? I mean that sounds great. Whats it got, a 15 in it,

17. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I looked at the website myself and the amp is $250 more than the Peavey. Sorry. But from what I understand it's a really good amp for the money. Carvin's brochure says $799, and the name is RC210 "Redeye Combo". It's got two tens and a horn and 600 watts when amp is fully bridged. I find 15 inch speakers too flabby and I've used tens in my amps for years because to me they give you more definition. If you want a combo with a 15 there's a ProBass 200 with a 15 and a tweeter but it only has 160 watts. It is a lot cheaper though.

18. I think GK is a much better sounding range than Peavey, go GK.
    To beermonkey; read the thread dude, the guy cant afford a WT800 or SM900!!!!!

19. Well i looked at the Carvin website a saw the PB200-15 its a 160 watt combo with a 15'' in it. And its under $450 bucks witha price of 399.99. But i need some info o these people. Are there amps good? Built to last? Just the goods and bads. But it looks a good buy to me.

20. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I recommended Carvin because I assume price is an issue. They are solid, dependable, workhorses that don't have the tone of an Eden, SWR, Eupohinic Audio, Walter Woods etc. You can't get top line equipment without spending big bucks, so there is a trade-off here.
    A lot depends on the type of music you play. If you play metal, 160 watts won't do it with a aggressive guitars and loud drums. The tone you're after is also important. I own a Carvin 100-10 which I've used for rehearsals and low volume gigs. It does a fine job. Does it sound as good as my Woods or Clarus amp. Of course not, but it does the job nicely for when I need it. You should make the decision according to what your needs are. That said Carvins are really well made amps that are a great value for the price you pay. If you are playing louder music I would go for more power.