Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gallien-Krueger amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by crazyphil, Aug 21, 2002.

1. Yes yes I know this is a subjective question, but I'm wondering what the overall quality of these amps is. I currently have a 50 watt Yorkville combo amp and want to get a 4x10 cab and an amp shortly. Is GK a good choice?

2. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    Hmmmmm. . . Good question.

I'd have to say that GKs are a DAMN GOOD choice!!!

I have a GK 1001RB with GK 115RBH and 410RBH cabs. No complaints, other than the hiss. Trip W. at GK says that a quieter preamp is in the works.

Other than that, this system has a lot of punch.

Some poeple hate GK. Others may have horror stories about their quality and customer service.

When you get a flat tire, do you curse the tire that went flat, or do you extoll the virtues of the three which stayed inflated? It's human nature to always cry about that one rig that did you wrong that one time.

But still, plug and play all you can. Compare. Maybe you need Eden, SWR, Ampeg, Trace Elliot, or something else. Forget the specs, forget the rep. You've got to feel it to believe.

3. Thing is, I don't know any brands and I don't know what to look for.

4. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    The GK 1001 is a good sounding amp and a good price/performance ratio.If you decide for a GK head,it's the one to get IMHO.The GK 410rbh is a good cab,but a bit pricey.I've gigged with a 1001 and an Ampeg bse410hlf and had good results with a 5 string bass.The Ampeg can be had for around $550 US wheras the GK goes for $899,but in it's favor will allow bi amping with the 1001 head.

5. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    Trip from Gk here! Hello all. Thanks for the nice words about the gear. If you have any questions or quibbles about the gear let me know.:)

6. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I have a question for you Trip.Can the amplifier portion of a 1001 RB 2-10 Combo be taken out and rackmounted?

7. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    Yes it can. You will need to get a topcover and some ears for thing, but , it can and has been done.
    If you need to do this, I can help you track down the parts. Mail me privately at hew86@aol.com. We'll work out the details. Hope this helps.

8. Before I went with a rack system I'd used GK since the early 80's. I've owned a 200RB, 800RB and I still have a 400RB for a backup. I've found them to be pretty much bullet proof over the years. Personally, I think the 200RB was the sweetest sounding amp GK ever made, but they all have that signature GK sound and are terrific amps.

9. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    Thanks for the kind words! Means a bunch!

TRIP

10. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    One thing you can do is check out the reviews sections here on talkbass.com and the "user reviews" section on www.harmony-central.com

The problem with Harmony Central is that all amps are lumped together under the heading of "guitar amps". Many amp brands are specific to bass or guitar. At this moment, I can't think of any manufacturers which make both.
    As I look down the list of amp manufactureres there, I'll name off those I know make amps for bass.

Aguilar
    Alembic
    Ampeg
    Crate
    Eden
    Fender
    Gallien-Krueger
    Genz Benz
    Glockenklang
    Hartke
    Hughes & Kettner
    Mesa/Boogie
    Nemesis
    Sovtek
    Sunn
    SWR
    Trace Elliot

I'm sure I missed a few. Here are a few of the questions you'll want to ask yourself:

Do you want a combo or separate cabs and amps?
    Does size matter (Meaning, do you need it to fit in the front basket of your bicycle)?
    Will you need to be able to hear yourself when playing with a drummer?
    What kind of sound are you going after (This can be difficult to categorize)?

Your question about not knowing what to look for is not an easy one to answer. You must first know what you want in the first place. There are probably a few good posts talking about the technical aspects of bass amps. Also, if you can find Bass Player magazine in your area, every once in a while they talk about gear issues on a beginner level.

As far as terminology goes, store reps will tend to spout off a bunch of facts and figures about amps and leave you confused in the dust of their sales pitch if you don't know what it all means. Be persistant! Ask them to explain every detail for you. Ask lots of questions. Remember that you are the customer and they should be willing to help you.

Also, when you go out doing comparisons, bring your own instrument insteadofjust picking one out at the store. This will help you to understand the differences in the amps and not confuse with the instruments' sounds.

Hope this helps.

4stringNaeem likes this.
  11. I shoped around for 1 1/2 years to find the best amp FOR ME* and i got a 1001 and 410RBH it cost a lot 1600 from GC and thats cheep cos i know the manager, but if money is nothing yes go with a GK they sound great and made vary well

12. Is the new 2001RBP going to have a fully functional x-over for bi-amping built in? The GK website only mentions a "crossover switch" which doesn't tell me a whole lot. I am dying to get my hands on one of these things to try out. Any rumors about when they'll be on the market?

13. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    It will not be a traditional bi-amp thing. It will run in conjunction with the 2001 power amp with the woof/tweet thing or it will go full range into the power amp of your choice. To get traditional bi-amp you would have to use a regular external crossover. (Which actually would be better since pro-audio crossovers are usually way better than something stuck in a bass amp. Just like how a pro EQ is way better sounding than something put into a bass amp. Geddy Lee used Furman parametrics and API 500a mic-pres for years) However, I would like to do a preamp version of the 800rb which WOULD include a "trad" crossover.

14. stop_drop_pop33

stop_drop_pop33 Guest

Aug 15, 2002
    under your bed
    POWER and BIG AMPS are GK's strongpoint.

If you want a smaller combo, go with ashdown.

15. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    Trip from Gk here. Actually this evening I am going to hang out with friends and then play my bass a good bit. :D