1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gallien Krueger and Bergantino.... A match made in heaven

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Markr1st, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Markr1st

Markr1st

Oct 12, 2012
    So recently i had the opportunity to trade my Ampeg svt4-pro USA made for a GK1001rb (not the ii version but the 540 watt). I did this trad as i was on my way to a Mesa M9 Carbine head, and the guy offered me his GK plus some cash so i took the deal. Ive been floored by the GK! While it doesnt have the massive headroom my SVT4 had it makes up for in punch and quality. I ran the SVT4 bridged mono so i had a TON of power, but i often found myself thirting for more bite. I play in a hard rock cover band (think Tool, Deftones, to Journey and AC/DC), so presence and attack are important to me. I have used SVT3's for years until recently scoring a deal on the 4. Im glad this was a 1001rb vs the 800rb since i play 5 string and the voicing filters the 1001 and up have make a HUGE difference in the power distribution, and in turn the overall tone and performance of the amp.... Frankly i may never get to that M9!?
    I have played a TON of cab and cab combinations, but overll ive been happiest with the Bergantino ht322. It is a 112, 210, with a horn. 4ohm 800watt cab of creamy articulate delisciousness..... Ive been in love since our first date.
    Today im trading for the mark ii version of the GK (700 watt version).... Being as though im a 5string player im looking forward to the extra headroom..... Maybe the 2001rb next????

2. Welcome to G-K! Robert A Gallien knows how to design a bass amp :D

3. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    And I have the HT322; a cab that is loved or hated depending on your need for clean hifi tone. Never used it with a GK but can easily see how punch and clarity would be easily accomplished.

4. Markr1st

Markr1st

Oct 12, 2012
    Just added a Bergantino HT212 to my family.... Im floored at how these cabs sound. Now i need a bigger amp.. Im thinking of going pre/power with one of the new Crown XLS 1500's vs the CA9 due to size/weight... Any experience with these yet?

5. jimfist

jimfist "Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!"

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I used to use an XLS2500 in a biamped bass rig with a preamp in front. It's a great solution if weight is a big issue. The on board processing features are very cool, and the Drivecore series are a nice bang for the buck. BUT....I recently picked up a GK RB1001II and never looked back. It simple KILLS in a way that the Crown amp just does not. Only tradeoff is the added weight of the GK, but it isnt all that heavy IMO. If I were you I'd go for the RB2001II in a heartbeat if I needed more power. GK does make a great bass head.

6. Markr1st

Markr1st

Oct 12, 2012
    I currently have the 1001rbii (the 740 watt version). The blessing and curse is the string selector option on the GK designates enough power to the low end to carry the sound.... You get a nice punch in the chest out of it but what you GET in the chest at first lacks definition. The 2001rb may be a good choice, but i love the options a pre/post power amp introduces

7. orangejulius3

orangejulius3 Supporting Member

May 6, 2013
    La Habra CA
    I had the 1001rb II and love the tone. I swapped it for the 2001rb.
    I paired it with my Berg NV610. Love the tone!