1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gallien Krueger and Equipment Experts PLEASE HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wolffman, Oct 2, 2008.

1. wolffman

wolffman

Oct 2, 2008
    Philadelphia PA
    Beta Tester: Red Panda Labs
    Good Afternoon All,

I need some guidance, help, and insight regarding my gear.

A little background info- Ive been playing for about 9 years... I try to play as many styles of music as i can including rock, jam band, electronic, indie, experimental, punk, metal, jazz, and bluegrass. I am not currently in a band... but i am jamming with as many people as possible until i find something that clicks.

Other than if something sounds good- I am not the greatest when it comes to equipment knowledge.

I was a poor high school/college kid since i started playing... just graduated and started working... so i recently upgraded ALL of my equipment except for my 2 year old amplifier.

MY EQUIPMENT:

Amp: Gallien-Krueger 700 RB amp (480 watts)

Cab: Gallien-Krueger 115GLX-II 1x15 (300 power RMS watts)

Bass: Fender Jaguar Bass (active pickups)

Effects: Boss ME50B (multi effects pedal)

I was playing a few weeks back and put a synth effect on,which accidentally cranked my volume... when i turned it off my speaker was still distorted & fuzzy. Turned out I blew out the speaker... it was still under warranty so i was able to have the speaker replaced.

I just recently got it back after 7 weeks!

I do not want to have this happen again so i am contemplating adding another cab to my lineup... or trading in the 1 x 15 and buying a cab with a higher power rating so im not lugging around two 60+ pound cabs.

My budget is roughly $300. If i can get $150 or $200 back for my 1 X 15 ill have about $500 to spend. (i have a GC credit card and will probablly have to buy there for that reason)

What do you think?

Should i go with an additional cab? Or trade it in for a different cab?

I was thinking Either the

Gallien-Krueger Goldline 210GLX 2x10

or

Gallien-Krueger Goldline 410GLX 4x10 (is this over kill?)

PLEASE HELP!!!!

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Why not just tweak your patches on the ME50B? Make sure all sounds are at nominal volume. You could definitely benefit from another cab as you're not getting the full 480w from your amp. If you're young and strong, I'd suggest the 4x10 to add to the 1x15. GK 4x10's are 93lbs though!

3. hills1234

hills1234

May 6, 2007
    NZ
    The 700RBII is only producing 320W when you're running an 8 ohm cab like that Goldline - so it's surprising that you blew it. I'd suggest that now is a good time to upgrade your level of speaker cab to something that does more justice to the 700, which is a great amp. A good 4x10 is a great place to start. Look at the GK Neo or RBX series cabs if your budget can stretch - or look for used models. Alternatively I'm sure there's plenty of other models in your price range at GC ... Ashdown, SWR for example. Take your amp in and try a few till you find the tone you like. Good luck!

4. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    yeah adding a cab actually increases the output since it will run at a lower impedance. it's weird that you blew a speaker at all, but i had a similar thing happen to my one time...

yeah it would be worth setting all the patches to output at the same (roughly) volume.

square waves and power spikes = bad for speakers

5. rag

rag

Mar 24, 2003
    Robert A. Gallien, President Gallien-Krueger
    The Glodline 115 is a good cabinet but it is not intended to go with the very high current 700RB which is strictly a pro head. A better match available at GC would be the Neo115(400W), Neo410 (800W) or Neo212 (400W). All these cabinets accomodate the Horn Bi-Amp feature from the 700RB as well.

6. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    Apparently the square waves aren't as bad as everyone says.

Its debatable.

7. rag

rag

Mar 24, 2003
    Robert A. Gallien, President Gallien-Krueger
    Square waves are very dangerous, in that a square wave of a given peak to peak voltage has double the power of a sin wave of the same voltage. When you run your amp into heavy clipping the output is basically a square wave which doubles the RMS output of your amplifier. If you have an amplifier honestly rated at 300W RMS (which most amplifiers are not) then the max square wave output will be something like 500 to 600 Watts depending on how hard the supply is. This extra power can easily burn out your speakers.

8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    If you're going to play synth bass hard - you need a bunch more cabinet ... You also need to lear to pay attention to what is happening in your rig or you're going to get used to replaceing drivers. Synth's can be brutal on speakers even at low volumes ...

note: I've never messed with the ME-50 - I dumped the pedal synth approach long ago. If you really want synth - get a real synth and learn some keyboard - it's not hard - way easier than learning bass IMO - and the textures you can get out of low end synths go far beyond what you can get out of the best of the pedals... IMO, IME, YMMV and all that.