Gallien-Krueger Backline 250/115BLX Half-Stack

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by faeasjepardo, Oct 21, 2005.

1. faeasjepardo

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi everyone, i am looking at the "Gallien-Krueger Backline 250/115BLX Half-Stack", i only have about $300 to spend, and its main purpose is rehersal and small gigs, i would like in future to add the 2-10s to it. I play a 2001 Warwick Streamer Standard which i love to bits.I had a Laney R1 but am having to sell it cos, i moved to the USA from the UK and i want a bit more power, and this rig seems to fit the bill.
    I mainly Play Chili Peppers, and i know Flea is a Gallien Krueger man. Thanks for the Help
  2. The Backline 250 will only drive a single 8 ohm cabinet. You will not be able to add a 210 later with that head. The backline 350 and the Backline 600 will drive two cabs, or another way to go is to get a Backline 210 and get a 115BLX cab later.
  3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Many reports on Harmony Central about the BL 250 going into protect mode. One report suggested adding a cooling fan. The BL 600 is not that much more expensive, and uses the "legendary" 400 RB power amp circuit.

Edit: Not to denigrate GK, as I am myself perfectly happy with my GK MB150E combo, but it just suggests that 125 W is not quite enough to meet the typical expectations for electric bass.
  4. faeasjepardo

Oct 18, 2005
    thanks guys for the advice, i really am only using it for rehersal and small gigs, but if its gonna overheat then i might just get a Combo GK? my rythm guitarist has just got a new Marshall JMC2000 50watt amp through 2-12 Genz Benz. what sort of power should i need for that, i really cannot spend more than $300? cheers.
  5. faeasjepardo

Oct 18, 2005
    i think im looking at the backline 112 now will i be able to add another cab to it?
  6. No, but the Backline 115 will take an external cab.
  7. faeasjepardo

Oct 18, 2005
    Thanks Dan , i have been looking at the Ashdown Electric Blue 180-combo, it seems to have what i want and i think i can push to 350bucks, plus 180watts and extension available is well good for the price, plus they are british which i like and i hear they used to part of Trace Elliot before Gibson bought them, i used to like some of the trace Combos so i think im gonna try one out, but i will still try the GK aswell.
  8. faeasjepardo

Oct 18, 2005
    :D Hey everyone just to let you know i bought a Fender Rumble 100 in the End. No where stock the ashdowns which was a shame, but i believe in 'try before you buy" when it comes to bass amps.
    I tried the GK backline 112, um i though personally it was crap, for what i wanted anyway, no volume or tone, i had a 65 watt Laney R1 back in the UK, it had more punch than the 112, and i think by looking at the 112 it was smaller than my Laney, but was Supposed to have 35watts more Power, very disappointing.
    I Tried the GK Backline 250 head with a 15' cab, again i was disappointed, no punch, not much tone.IMO
    Then the guy pointed me towards the Rumble 100, i hadnt considered Fender for a second, and wasnt expecting much to be honest, when i got it out the box and plugged it in,WOW! I thought it sounded pretty good for a $300 amp.
    I like the simple controls, im not one for messing with EQ and all that s**t, i also like the "Mid Scoop" which really sold it, cos i play alot of slap, it just sounded so good!
    i like the 15" speaker with the Horn, i know some people dont like horns , but i like it for slap, it reminded me of my Laney which was a 10" with a horn, but with the extra power lol.
    I managed to crank it up and it was great!
    Well done Fender!
    If you are on a budget of around $300 like i was, then i think i would say this is the best you can get, i was considering the SWR LA15 but half the reviews said it blew out in less than a month, so i thought sod that.
    Anyways my guitarist is coming over to jam tomorrow so i can really play the hell out of it! Edd
  9. you might want to consider learning to use the eq. they have it there for a reason you know. so the amp sounds the way you want it. Not like complete ****.
  10. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Wow , you play a lot of slap and you didn't like GK? did you try using the Contour knob?
  11. faeasjepardo

Oct 18, 2005
    i didnt say EQ was S**T, its just not for me, i play alot of different genres and i dont want to fiddle around with 7+ different knobs, ive had EQ before on a Trace Elliot, and i found it too fiddley for my personal use, but im not condeming it.
    Yea the Gallien Krueger Backlines were really disappointing to be honest, i played on the GK backline 112 and it had no volume and didnt impress me when i played slap on it, the same went for the 250 head, didnt really float my boat.
    Im happy with the fender, went to rehearsal with it and the guys said it sounded really good, much better than the old bass players amp.
    stay safe!