Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gallien-Krueger Backline Combo (1x15 125 watts) ??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pike66, Dec 22, 2001.

1. pike66

pike66

Apr 28, 2001
    Long Island NY
    Hi all!
    My band has been playing bars, and clubs for the
    past 6 months. And I'm tired of lugging my current rig,
    which is monsterously heavy. loud, but heavy.
    We play heavy alternative rock, grungey stuff.
    We're a three piece. Would a Gallien-Krueger Backline
    combo with a 15 inch speaker and 125 watts be powerful enough for loud club/bar gigs?
    thanks so much for any feedback!!
    --pike--

2. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    What are you currently using for gear? Also how many watts do your guitar players have?

3. pike66

pike66

Apr 28, 2001
    Long Island NY
    this is the wierd part. all of you will think that my band
    and I are stupid.
    My regular rig is an Ampeg SVT classic head, with a 4x10
    cabinet. But, it's so damn HEAVY, and a bitch to lug around. We've been gigging since June, and we've been moving my rig, plus my guitarist's marshall cabinet (4 12's) and a mosfet head.
    so, now, my guitarist is going to use his crate vintage club combo (50 tube watts, 2 12 inch speakers). He wants me to use my rig, but I want something light right now. If I don't have to use 150 pounds+ worth of gear from small bar gigs that aren't stadiums, I want something that is loud enough, but sounds decent.
    we're an original heavy alterna-rock band.
    anyway, that's my story :)
    thanks,
    -pike-

4. I think that makes a whole lot of sense actually, lugging around halfstacks is really tough to do all the time, plus a big bass amp, and drums, then if you use your own PA, thats a lot of stuff. Smaller amps make things a lot easier! And, about the GK, the head is great, but speakers are definantly not GK's strong point, but i guess that's a matter of opinion.
    Chris

5. pike66

pike66

Apr 28, 2001
    Long Island NY
    exactly.
    We did the lugging around, and playing with heavy equipment because that's what we have/had. I'm not a collector of amps. I've only been playing for 8 years, and my first rig was a roland combo.
    and I used that in bands till I was 20 in January 2001, when I bought the ampeg rig. I got into a band that is just amazing to me, and we've been doing tons of bars/clubs since June. Stopping to take a break at the end of this past November. And we are now saying "jesus, i don't want to keep lugging this stuff around" when we don't have to. So, it does make sense to tone down the gear, and save the big stuff for when we really need it.
    Small combos are a great idea. I've heard much more good things about the Ampeg BA115 than for the Gallien Krueger. And I think Ampegs sound damn great. even the lesser priced models.
    --pike--

6. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    The B-100R (with the diamond blue tolex) is even better than the BA-115, IMO.
    [​IMG]

7. pike66

pike66

Apr 28, 2001
    Long Island NY
    I am so vintage.
    Look at my cd collection and you'll know. lol
    I love the sound of those B100Rs, but is that blue diamond covering sturdy?
    The BA115 at least has the hard plastic like tolex.
    I wouldn't want to gig with the portaflex type amp.
    it's too nice looking for me to beat up. :)
    --pike--

8. My band has gigged with a bassist who uses the B100-R, that thing has lasted him a good 2-3 years now, and they gig a lot! the only problem he's ever had with it was that the Input actually fell into the amp, but, if he just would have watched out that wouldnt have happened. That B100R is really a cool amp especially for someone who likes vintage-looking gear!
    Chris

9. pike66

pike66

Apr 28, 2001
    Long Island NY
    o.k. so now here's the "low budget million dollar question". Which is better? The B100R or the BA115? (Ampeg)
    I dig the BA115 because it's more durable, possibly.
    But the B100R looks very vintage. i have no clue.
    -pike-

10. I honestly couldnt tell you which amp I like better, i just picked the BA-115 because of the tilt back feature and because it's a little bit bigger so my 2x10 would be stable on top of it. both are pretty durable from what I know. just go play them both and kind of see which one you really like better, which options you want more. if you want an XLR output the BA-115 is the way to go, if you want a 1/4 inch line out go for the B-100R. The Ultra-mid, Ultra-Bass, and Ultra-high buttons on the B100-R do pretty much the same thing as the "style selector" on the BA-115. it's really sort of a tough decision to make! good luck
    Chris

11. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    Trip from GK here! Turing up again. I would not recommend the Backline 115 for loud bar gigs. No sir. I would use our 400rb 115, 700, or 1001 in the 115 configs. That the straight dope! Thanks for you interest though! :) The backlines are a "student" level of amps. I cannot in good faith recommend them for jobs like that. Hope this helps.

12. Predictable me.......I would suggest a SWR Combo Amp, but that's me. Most of them have wheels built in so you can wheel them around...........the ampeg probably fit you well so I would just get a rock cart or possibly a caster set to help you move it.

if your lugging around your guitar players stuff have him help you! NO FREE LUNCH!! muah ha ha ha.......:)

Unfortinetly we basses all have to have a love hate relationship to get your sound. We are all slaves to our tone..............

If you get tired of the whole tone thing you can always just go punk........(kidding) :D

-insighted