Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gallien Krueger Backline series cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nuggierox, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Nuggierox

Nuggierox

Jun 29, 2003
    Has anyone ever used the GK backline series cabs? I am thinking about snatching 2 of those GK backline 8x10's but I am a little unsure of their sound and construction quality, anyone have anything either positive or negative to say about them?

2. Rat

Rat

Mar 15, 2005
    Boston Sewers
    all the backline stuff I played trou sounded good .....you must have a truck

3. Nuggierox

Nuggierox

Jun 29, 2003
    We carry all of our stuff in a trailer when we are on the road.

4. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    I find my 410 to be pretty good, though I've been thinking a lot about the yorkville 8x8 lately.
    I find the 410 sounds pretty well defined but it lacks a bit of low end punch. The 810 may make up for that with higher volume.

5. The 810 has a lower resonant speaker in it so it has a lower frequency response. The tradeoff is there is not as much high end.

6. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    *cough* backline 2x12 *cough* would rule *cough*

7. Spanky2112

Spanky2112

Aug 20, 2003
    Utica, NY
    I believe that the "backline series" has been upgraded. I recently bought an "artist series" mark IV 210 combo. I was looking at the backline 210 combo and it has has a new "sleeker" look to it, the GC guy said there was some new improvements to all backline stuff. Apparently the artist series has been d/c, which is way I got a FAT deal on it!!

8. PlayTheBass

PlayTheBass aka Mac Daddy

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    I play regularly with a drummer who works for GK, and he sometimes supplies the "backline", and in one case it was the 8x10. GK's not normally my cup of tea, but I thought it sounded great.

9. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Personally, I'd go for an Avatar before a GK Backline Series. About the same money, but the Avatar stuff is with out a doubt better and YES I have played both! :D