1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gallien-Krueger Backline Series

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sol92, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Sol92

Sol92

Apr 22, 2009
    Hey guys.

I'm looking into getting a Gallien-Krueger Backline 210.

I called up the local guitar store, and the guy talked about having a "Backline 210 II" as opposed to the "Backline 210."

Does anyone know if there is a major difference between the two models? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

2. Boogie.Man

Boogie.Man

Apr 9, 2009
    I had a Backline 210 for 1-1/2 years. It's a good amp. I think the II is the new version that is made in China. That's the only difference. The 210 puts out the volume and mine was very reliable. But it's a heavy beast.

3. Sol92

Sol92

Apr 22, 2009
    Thanks! Apparently the II is 100 bucks cheaper also. Think that'll effect the quality of the amp? Being made in China and all?

4. Boogie.Man

Boogie.Man

Apr 9, 2009
    The current ones don't look or sound any different to me. I even suspect that the USA made original probably had a lot of China component.

5. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    I thought the original was made outside of the U.S. as well?

The only real difference between the two is the appearance. The new Backline cabs have an "updated" design that reflects how all of their cabs have been updated (namely, with the new GK "badge").

I'm not all that fond of the Backline cabs, but they're not bad for the price. If I were you, though, I'd keep an eye on the used market for an SBX series cab, as they're now discontinued (they were replaced by the RBX series).

6. Sol92

Sol92

Apr 22, 2009
    Was the original not made in Germany? I'm not sure, but thanks for information! I'll keep the SBX in mind

7. The original BackLines were made in the US, made in China now by a Gallien-Krueger owned factory (not farmed out).

8. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    GK products were never manufactured in Germany. It's an American company, founded just half an hour away from my hometown.

9. gregoire1

gregoire1

Oct 19, 2008
    Nashville
    its a communist!

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I just sold my GK 410BLX. Not because it sounded bad (it actually sounded good) but because of the weight (93lbs) and I just have too many cabs. Had removable casters too. Very nice cab. I liked it.

11. Sol92

Sol92

Apr 22, 2009
    Alright, thanks for the info everyone. I really appreciate the help.