Gallien Krueger Backline

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Billyjoe3969, Jun 17, 2004.

1. Billyjoe3969

Nov 4, 2002
    I have been saeving up some money for a new amp, i have about 800 bucks and i really want a half stack. So my friend suggested that i get a Backline 250 Head and 410 BLX Cab Half Stack for 600 bucks. Is this a good half stack or should i just save up some more money and buy a different one. Any suggestion or comments?
  2. ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    As far as heads go, if you're set on GK, look for a used RB series head. They'll fall within your budget and you'll be happier in the long run.
  3. Yeah, I've been looking into some GK stuff too. They seem really nice, and look cool. Nice and small, but same size drivers as my current cabinet. I'm not sure if I should get a backline or save for the other half stack they've got. Whats the difference really?
  4. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Check out an Ashdown MAG 300 ($300) with the 410 cab ($299). I know you can get the whole setup for right at $600. I know if I don't find a Trace Elliot for much less than the price of the MAG, it will be my next head.
  5. Eh, I've heard bad things about the Backline series. I'd just save for the GK 700 RBII stack.

6. josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    Someone took the SATs :rolleyes: ;)

But in anycase, better could be had for cheaper if you look hard enough, especially in the used market. I just picked up a 2x15" cab and a 350w head for $450, sounds great too.
  7. Billyjoe3969

Nov 4, 2002
    does anyone know any ashdown, online dealers?
  8. josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    i think i saw some ashdown stuff on
  9. Peatroosio

Apr 24, 2000
    I've been looking into Ashdown on They look like they've got a good selection, and with 600 You should be able to set up a pretty good half stack with the MAG 410T and MAG 300H.
    I've also been looking into ashdown, but for their Electric Blue 180 15 Combo. Anybody have experience with these, or Ashdown's quality in general? I've heard of some problems with the VU meter, but overall it sounds like a good amp. Anyways, that's where I would look if you're interested in Ashdown.
  10. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    The differences between backline and RBH are in the wood materials of the actual cabinet, the porting design, tweeters, Bi-Ampability, speakon connectors, the material of the speaker cones, the weight of the speaker magnets, and the wattage that the speakers can handle. The RBH is the real deal. The Backline is not.

Sound, power handling, and resale value suffer with lower quality equipment. If you buy a good used cab on ebay this summer, you can sell it for the same next summer. If you buy cheap stuff new this summer, you can't give it away next year.

Do a lot of reading here and figure out the stuff to start looking for used. Buy it. Play it. Sell it next year. Keep trading up.

11. You could go the Behringer Bx300T + Avatar cab of choice route. I don't know how you feel about the Behringer stuff (copying and all), but it is a good head for $230. My Behringer/Avatar 115/210 setp up sounds pretty good and its pretty loud.
    But, if you're set on GK, save some more money or look for good used deals.
  12. Yep, I was in challenge in 5th grade. ;)