1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gallien-Krueger Backline

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pedrodelawasp, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Hello folks, talking potential rigs here, and budget is a real issue.

I'm looking at a GK BL 600 head, brilliant head (I've used one) for the money (£199 from gak.co.uk). I'm looking for your opinions and experiences of cab combinations with this head. I'm thinking about sticking with GK, maybe getting a 115BLX and a 210BLX running them both at 8ohm (£149 each) (according to GK the BL600 runs 180 watts at 8ohm or 300 at 4). Alternatively I could go for a 4ohm cabinet of some sort, a 4 x 10 around £300? Suggestions please!

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The Backline heads are worthy amps for the money, but the matching cabs seem to be lacking. Maybe get the head, and shop around for a cab you like.

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

The cabs are a bit lacking but the heads are good to go. In fact a GK rep/forumite here mentioned that they have the same innards as their big brothers minus the bi amping features and 1/4" jacks only, IIRC. The cabs just use a cheaper speaker and aren't bi-amp capable.

4. Do you have Guitar Center branches there? If so, check the goldline cabs available there. they're a step up from the Backlines.

5. Afraid there aren't any guitar centre branches in my neck of the woods (Glasgow area, Scotland, UK). Looked for goldline cabs online and I think they're a little out of my price range...
    What do you think of something like a Marshall VBC-412? Or one of Hartke's 4 x 10s?

6. I purchased a GK BL600 (300W @ 4ohms), and in that price bracket - I would do it all over again knowing what I know now. It has a very nice tone to it. I am running it with a Carvin BR115 with horn (4ohm). The combination of the two have a real nice clean, clear sound together. It has an Overdrive function (distortion) I find completely useless on its 2nd channel, however the Contour, and Boost function are pretty nice features. The Contour controls the mid-scoop, and the Boost adds “growl”. Between the 4 band EQ, Contour, and Boost - you can get a vast array of tones, and extremely clean, clear sound (didn't I say that once before?), and fairly loud too!

7. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Look up TB member Fdeck and go to his personal website. At the bottom of the page there is a link about the BL600 head.

8. JSK5String

JSK5String

May 19, 2008
    Littleton, CO
    I just downsized my huge Trace rig and went with the Backline 210 combo. I run it with my Tech 21 VT Bass, chorus and Sonic Stomp and I flippin love the tone. Plenty of stage volume in a tilt back cab. It's awesome, go play one, you'll end up buying it...

9. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    You're probably better off buying something made in the UK if you can't afford a better quality speaker cabinet than a Backline cabinet. The heads are very good as you know. The cabinets not. Most of the good quality, lower priced stuff we know in North America either aren't available in the UK or cost way too much once imported.

Here in Canada we suffer some of the same conditions with USA made gear, like Avatar. Once the Canadian distributor adds on the Canadian taxes, the extra shipping and his profit the price on Avatar jumps up to closer to the price of other brands. The US brands that sell in large quantities in Canada, like GK, sell for a not too bad price.

We do have one Canadian company (Traynor) which makes very good amps and speaker cabinets and sells at a good price.

Maybe take your BL600 out to some stores and try out what's available. I know the better quality Hartke cabinets are pretty good. I haven't tried anything from Marshall for many years.

10. ashdown is UK,

So Is Marshall, the MB cabs don't have the best build quality though