Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

gallien-krueger cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fenderbluesdude, Feb 21, 2005.

1. talk about gallien-krueger cabinets and if they are good or bad cabs, you can show pictures to.

2. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    had a couple RBH series cabs, they weren't bad. i liked 'em.

3. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    i'm looking into GK cabs myself. I've been trying to find info on their Neo 412, but I haven't had any luck with that so far. I can't even find a price online for it :(

4. Special_Ed

Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    Why go into GK cabs, since GK has relaibility issues. There is so many better options

Bag End

Ampeg

5. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Haha. I've never heard a single person complain about reliablitity issues with their speaker cabinets. Get your facts straight. GK has vastly improved their quality control and their customer service is top notch.

I personally love GK's cabs. They've got a great punch to them, and the highs are to die for. I really do miss my GK 410RBH.

~Patrick

6. xJasonSmithx

xJasonSmithx Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    I play the new GK 810 and love it, it goes really low especially for a sealed cab. I have never heard anything about people having issues w/ a GK cab.

-Jason

7. jasonc

jasonc

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I run through the GK 410sbx. Nice cab, no complaints at all. Works well, sounds top notch, and sturdy as hell. A+ in my book.

8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I've never heard a single instance of ANYONE having problems with a GK cab . . . ever . . .

9. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I am sure they are out there. The one RBH I had didn't like my B that much, but that was right when they came out with them. I wouldn't mind having one of newer NEO 212's.

10. The fact is that MOST reliability problems with GK has been with the older heads. This problem has been corrected and newer GK heads should not experience these problems.

There have been isolated problems with the GK SBX series cabs, however, here is what Daniel Elliott of Gallien-Krueger posted in regards to this problem:

I play GK cabs exclusivly and they all sound great. I have one rig with a 410RBH, and another with a Neo212. I have had problems with neither cab, and both has seen much road use.

Heres my Neo 212:
    [​IMG]

11. purpleacid

purpleacid

Mar 5, 2005
    I love every GK cab I've bought. Reliability issues? Thats the first and only time I think I'll ever hear anyone complain about GK's reliability. Owning 5 GK cabs, 2 GK heads, and planing to buy another cab and head, I think these are the best amps I've ever played. The sound on the 810sbx, amazing, and the amp has taken QUITE a beating. Do you think you could drop your average speaker down a flight of stairs and come home and play it like you just pulled it out of the box? I live on the 3rd floor of an apartment building, and I can testify that these amps will last through any beating you can throw at them, I've tried.

12. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    GK NEO dosen't suck at all. Mid priced, better than mid quality. Matter of fact, since I've been A-b'ing my GK with my Bergantino HT stuff, I think the tweeter in the GK goes a little higher. Or, its only apparently so, because the Berg Tweeter is cross=over at like 1500-2Khz, its more PA like in the upper mids. The GK system using the GK heads with the HMS (horn management system) crosses over at 5khz, more sizzle in the range that gives the "Hi-Fi" vibe IMHO. I wonder if maybe its the same horn that Epifani uses. I think so, looks the same from the front. Regardless, the GK NEO 2-12 would probably cover the area as my HT cabs with less weight to carry. Can't mess up too bad with the GK stuff, I'd say try it if you think you wanna.

13. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Guam
    My rig in the late 80s was a 800rb and a 4x10, 1x15 gk rig, I loved it! If I wouldn't have moved across country at the time I'd probably still have it.

I'm thinking about getting the small extension cab made for my gk mb150e, I think it's called 112MBX Extension Cab for Micro Bass, has anyone tried one of these?

14. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I'm a big GK fan myself, with 700RB and 700RB-II heads, and a Neo112 cab on the way, which is replacing one with a defective tweeter I returned. I think there's a difference between the occasional manufacturing defect -- which caused intermittent static and couldn't have been detected easily by quality control -- and long term reliability. Assuming it's perfect out of the box, I can't imagine any problems long term. The cab is great overall, which is why I requested a replacement instead of a refund. In fact, I might add a Neo115 for good measure!

Someone at Sam Ash told me that GK had a bad production run of heads in the 1999-2000 era, which he said unfairly tarnished the company's reputation for reliability. Most seem to think GK gear is bulletproof, and I've seen plenty of GK heads still crankin' after years of obvious abuse (scraped paint, bent panels, missing knobs, etc.).

15. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I once was taking all my gear downstairs, loading my car to goto a gig. I said my 1001RB-II down on its side to quickly reach and shut the upstairs door. Next thing I know, my rack is sliding down the stairs, and it comes to a dead stop once it reaches the bottom. I rushed down and pick my rack up. There is a hole the size of a huge first in my wall. I took my head to the gig, and not a thing was wrong with it. Worked fine and no damage. Built GK tough.

16. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    First sense I've heard from a Sam Ash clown. GK did have a bad bunch of problems but haven't really been unreliable before or after that period. Any other era, and they are truly bulletproof.

My current 400RB-III is three years old, been up and down the east coast, the rack still looks new because it's much newer than the head. And the tone is to die for.

The cabs are bulletproof and have taken quite a beating. Worst case scenario is I have to fill in paint chips on the grille, or reglue the carpet to the cab. I use RBS series cabinets (Older model - SBX cabs without horns) and they sound phenominal. Nice and punchy, response is quick, and they can really boom when dialed in right. They're currently in NYC with a buddy recording.

As far as GK goes, all my bassist buddies use my gear to record because it sounds so great. It's often borrowed for live use (to get me into shows free) and it sounds great in live situations as well.

17. Winemule

Winemule Guest

Feb 27, 2005
    I'm using a G-K Backline 410BLX. It's butt-ugly, but I don't really care about that. I get a nice warm sound, it seems to be reasonably well-constructed, it's relatively compact for what it is, and it cost me $250. Put it this way--I like it well enough that I'm thinking about adding a 115BLX for playing larger venues.

18. ravlin

ravlin

Oct 12, 2004
    gk had problems with the 1000 rb. ive only seen one of these heads and it was on ebay. i have had a 1001 rb for six years and it has been everywhere. i lived a block from the ocean with the windows open all year, no problems. there was also a problem with their backline cabs a while back, but that too was remedied. their customer service is the best ive seen. i was curious about a new cab and they told me to come out and play them all. i have never been so impressed. there are many a corporation i cant even get an email back from.
    ps the tone is great