Gallien Krueger cable question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Konquest, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Konquest

Aug 26, 2003
    I just purchased a new 1001 rbII to go with my Aguilar gs212 (the rig of my dreams). One problem: the speakon cable supplied with the amp, according to the owner's manual, is a "four connector" cable(presumably for the biamp feature) and according to the manual could cause damage to the amplifier if connected to a non-GK cabinet. If this is the case, what type of connection should I use? Is speakon better than 1/4"? If so, which of the two speakon outputs should I use to connect the "standard" non-GK cable? Please, someone familiar with these products help me! this is my first non-combo amp rig, and I want it to sound it's best.
  2. I have a GK 700RB which is very similar to your amp. It shouldn't matter which speakon outlet you use to connect to your cab, as the bi-amping feature is only usable with Gallien Kreuger cabs that have a tweeter; and have a selector switch to choose between running full range or bi-amp. These are connected using the four conductor cable. You can therefore use the supplied cable, but refer to your owners manual to ensure that your cab is wired up in a compatible manner. Ring the manufacturer if you are still in doubt.

Speakon cables are far superior to jackplugs.

Congrats on your new rig, it should sound killer.
    Let us know how it sounds when you've got it goin'
  3. bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I use regular two-conductor Speakons with my GK1001RB-II and non-GK cabs. The ends on the GK cables are not real Speakons, anyway, and harder to insert and remove than they ought to be. If you use the GK cable, be sure to check that the wire terminal screws inside the imitation Speakons are tight - I have had a couple of GK cables that were loose as they came from the factory.

4. That happened to me too.
    The screws that hold the wires in the terminal clamps were not even tightened! GK needs to look at the quality control of whoever makes these cables.
  5. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Very timely thread, as I have a 700rb-II arriving tomorrow. As I understand it, you should only use the supplied cable with GK cabs in order to take advantage of the biamp feature. With any other cabs you should use regular speakons, and there are biamp bypass buttons on the front that need to be engaged in order to bridge the 480 watt and 50 watt amp sections.

There's a GK cat that hangs here on TB, and hopefully he'll stop by and hip us all to the facts.

I bought the GK to use for rehearsals, and will also be using it with one or two of my Aguilar GS112s. I've only played through a GK rig once (with a GK 4x10), but I was pretty impressed. My Aggie DB750 will always be the amp for gigs, but having a 16 pound amp for rehearsals will give my back a break, instead of breaking my dig? :cool:
  6. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Agreed... I liked my 1001rb so much (540 Watts in an 18 lb. package?!) that I traded for a used 700rb as a backup. My back thanks me every time I pick 'em up. The 4x10 'peg cab is another story....
  7. Konquest

Aug 26, 2003
    Connectivity is a b!tch. This reminds me of digital cameras (ie. sony cameras only take sony memory cards). When at the store I plugged it all together with 1/4" speaker cable and assumed that the speakon included would do the trick when I unpacked everything. I guess I will be off to the store tonight to buy the cable and rack screws (forgot those, too). My girlfriend is pissed off enough as it is. Oh well!
  8. amorosomolto

Sep 10, 2003
    I own a GK 2000RB and the connections were in the back of my mind. Im using a regular "stock" speakon to 1/4". do you all think that Im causing harm to my amp or cab? The manual says to use their cables but I didnt have the 80 Bucks then. I belive i purchased the cable from musicians friend. Should i get the "correct" cables? Isthe wiring really an issue with GK Amps?

Thank You All

9. This quote is from Dan Elliot's e-mail from the GK support website when I asked if I should use a speakon cable or 1/4" to connect to an SWR Goliath III:
    "There is no reason why you couldn't use a speakon cable, though you should use a standard two conductor speakon cable with non gk cabinets. The cable that is supplied with the head is a 4 conductor. Usually not a problem, but if another manufacturer decided to wire something to 2+ and 2- then it will interfere with that and potentially damage the amp or the cabinet."
    It bassically confirms what everyone is saying.
  10. Hi guys. Sorry to be so late to the party. AgonyFX has it right. I would like to point out a couple of things though. First, there is no way to bridge the 700W amp and the 50W amp. The 50W amp is dedicated to the tweeter. If you are not using a 4 conductor cable into a cabinet set up to receive the two seperate signals, then the 50W amp is not used at all.

You can use either speakon output. They are the same.

There are no buttons that you have to press to make it run in full range mode. The button next to the woofer control is nothing more than a high cut. It cuts signals above 5k from the main amplifier. The other button is a high cut for the tweeter amp. It cuts signals above 10K. Also, the tweeter amp only produces signals above 5K while the "woofer" is full range unless you press the woofer high cut.

Regarding the speakon cables. a while back, we discovered that some of the cables were not up to par. Since then, we have established a process where every cable is tested by us before it gets shipped. The ends are not defective or inferior. It was a workmanship issue by the company we contracted to make the cables for us. That issue has been resolved.

I frankly don't know why we ship a speakon cable with the heads. They should be included with the cabinets instead. I'm lobbying to have that changed.
  11. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    You wouldn't need to get as many leads made up this way (I'm assuming the heads outsell the cabs? Please slap me if I'm wrong).

Dan can I ask a question. Instead of driving tthe tweeter, can the 50w amp be used to run, say for example, a 1x10 at full range?
  12. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Thank you Daniel!

My new 700rb-II arrives this morning, and I'll use it at a small college gig tonight. It'll probably end up being a "paid rehearsal" though, as we're playing from 8:30 to 11, coinciding with Red Sox/Yankees game 7. Think anyone'll be there?

BTW Dan, I emailed my resume to Bob for the opening you have for a regional sales rep. C'mon man...gimme the gig! :hyper:

13. No. The crossover point is fixed at 5k. In other words, it only reproduces the signal from 5k and above.
  14. Konquest

Aug 26, 2003
    I picked up a two connector speakon cable and the rig is up and running. I don't get to blow it up until this weekend, since I live in an apartment complex. Sounds NIIICE at low volumes, though.
  15. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Thankyou. That's what I thought. I needed you in a thread a while ago where a bunch of people were convinced that it could be done. I was hopelessly outnumbered and it started to get a bit agro, so just let it go.........
  16. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Well, I tried out my new 700rb-II last night, and I am very, very pleased. :D

I highly recommend this amp to anyone looking for a lot of tone for a little money, especially if you're looking to go easy on your back.

With very little tweaking, I was off and running with some really fat tones, with crispy, modern-sounding highs that could be dialed in and out with ease. Great slap tones. With the full band playing, I lost a bit more of the mids on stage than I would have liked, but that will most likely be remedied with some more tweaking of the "voicing filters" (contour and presence knobs).

Of course my Aguilar GS112 cabs deserve their fare share of the tone credit, but all-in-all the GK 700rb-II is by far the best-sounding amp for the price I have ever used, or heard for that matter. The 700rb-II with two Aggie 112's comes in at just over 1300 bucks. That's a ton of "bang for the buck".

It won't replace my Aguilar DB750 by any means. But a direct comparison really isn't fair. I'm very pleased to have a small, light, great-sounding amp to use for those gigs in small clubs with killer load-ins, not to mention rehearsals.

Bravo GK...well done!
  17. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I have an aftermarket 4 conductor speakon cable that I use with my extension cab. Works great. It has the blue plastic collar on the end, just like the stock cable going down to my 2x10 (I have the 1001RB/210 combo). It is 50ft long so I can move it to the other side of the stage.
  18. The GK 1001RB II comes with a 4 connector cable. If you unscrew the blue ring and take a look at it closely, you will see that each wire is labelled 1+, 1-, 2+, 2-. I unscrewed and snipped the 2+ and 2- on each end and POW, I now have a 2-connector cable. Think of the cable as 2 regular positive-and-negative cable pairs wrapped into one, one pair carrying the signal for the left and one for the right (except in this case, one pair carries the signal for the 700 watt amp and 1 carries the signal for the 50 watt amp).

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    Originally posted by Daniel Elliott
    I frankly don't know why we ship a speakon cable with the heads. They should be included with the cabinets instead. I'm lobbying to have that changed.

I tried to lobby for that one when I was there!
    Good luck dear, dear Danny...