1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gallien Krueger Club. GK Rules !

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tunaman, Feb 20, 2014.

1. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    For me the 1001 sounds great and the 700 sound just right. I could happily gig either but the 700 just has that sweet spot you hit with the right setup. Plenty of power for me too.

I have considered getting another 1001 just because but will probably hold out for GK's new amp when they release it in 2021.

Al Kraft, wave rider and Andyman001 like this.
  2. AstralBirth

AstralBirth Supporting Member

All this talk on the 700 and never tried a damn one. I just might look into it to be on that hype train if I’m missing out!

Al Kraft and Wicked G like this.
  3. groovaholic

groovaholic The louder the better.

Sep 19, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI
    It’s a great amp, but this discussion just highlights how the range accommodates different tastes.

The 1001RB is better for those who want clean headroom, the 700RB gets into the grit more easily.

This is why I keep eyeballing the older 400RB...get into the “flavorful” portion of the power band at home volumes

4. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Not me, there wasn't enough headroom for my loud band, even with a GK NEO 412. I didn't upgrade to 1001, but straight to 2001RB (bridged power 1080W into 4 ohms). My tone is definitely NOT crystal clear, and I hardly consider RB amps to be super hi fi polished clean (MB D class amps do the hi fi thing better IMO), but the low end is much better, and the tone is overall rounder and smoother. It growls like mad when needed though.

My volume is usually at 9 o'clock, boost always at 11 and woofer at 11 - 1 depending on the room and loudness needed. Trust me when I say there's plenty of GK growl there. All that into 412 NEO (or sometimes 410 RBH for my quieter needs).

In comparison, I had to crank the 700RB with volume around 11, boost around 2 and woofer around 3. There was too much compression that way and the low end kind of fell apart. A huge difference with a more powerful RB amp like 2001RB.

So I'd take 1001RB over 700RB definitely.

5. aproud1

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Yeah. That has to be some serious volume.

6. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Lol, well, it's not quiet for sure xD We mostly play without PA support for the guitar and bass. We put our vocals, bass drum, snare and sometimes overhead through our PA. That's for clubs where we bring our own PA. Bigger clubs, bass tends to go through PA a bit (guitar almost never, it's just brutally loud 70s Marshall 412 and JMP amp). It's loud yeah.. but often times, surprisingly, people come up and say "you guys weren't that loud today!".

Red Planet and aproud1 like this.
  7. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    The 1001 can do everything the 700 can, including growl like a mad dog at moderate volume. Just work the volume, boost and woofer. But the 1001 does two things the 700 cannot: stay clean at higher volume and, well, higher volume — especially at 8 ohms.

8. aproud1

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Those must be the people who forgot their hear aids.

I no longer have cabs that can take that kind of power. I guess fortunately for my wallet. :)

mouthmw and Red Planet like this.
  9. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    I'm not surprised by that. Without PA support the volume on stage can be considerably louder than what people are hearing towards the back of the room. Also even at lower volume the Boost will add quite a bit of compression at 2:00. IMHO and IME.

mouthmw and Red Planet like this.
  10. Stevorebob

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    One more 1001-vs-700 add: For me, the 1001 at 8Ω and 700 at 4Ω are really similar (460 watts for the 1001 at 8Ω, 480 watts for the 700 at 4Ω). I mostly run one 8Ω cab, and for me, the 700 just does not have enough clean headroom at 8Ω. I’d rather carry the 1001 than another cab. YMMV.

11. aproud1

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    I'd probably be in the same boat if my cabs were less efficient.

Al Kraft likes this.
  12. groovaholic

groovaholic The louder the better.

Sep 19, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I used to gig with a pair of 8-ohm 410 cabs, but played a festival-type show (my sig pic, actually) where I only brought one, to simplify setup/tear-down.

Accordingly, I had to run the Woofer control on my 700RB higher than usual, and it was one of the best tones I ever got from that amp.

It taught me that I like the sound of the GK power section pushed a bit —while your descriptions suggest that you prefer the power section running clean.

Al Kraft likes this.
  13. Stevorebob

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I like to push the power section, let it do the work, but not overdrive it with the preamp or boost. I prefer the amp riding the rails, not overdriven. I run the woofer at 3 o’clock, tweeter at 9, boost at 10, and volume as needed.

Al Kraft likes this.
  14. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    My last rb amp was a 1001ii. I needed more power at 8ohms as well.

The MBF-800 does 560 at 8ohms.

Come to think of it. That may be why I dumped the Mesa Subway D-800+.

15. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    I’ve been going both ways with my MBF-800.

Sometimes I run the master at like 2 and the pre at 9/10.

Sometimes I put the pre to 2/3 and master at like 9.

Interesting results.

16. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Just a quick observation based on my experience with trying to run my RBs in a similar fashion: I’ve found that if minimizing distortion prior to the power section is the goal, it may make sense to set the preamp volume low, like at -2.5 or lower*, with a 3:00 woofer as you have noted, but then using boost as a volume control.

The reason for this is two-fold:

1. I’ve found that a preamp volume of -2.5 (clicks from noon) on my test amp will begin to show slight distortion when scoped (not audible) just after the input clip light is engaged, so in theory, anything that doesn’t trip the clip light shouldn’t clip the volume gain-stage whatsoever.

2. The preamp volume stage clips with very high frequency harmonics that the boost stage filters out when clipping, so if additional gain is needed, it’s arguably better to get it from boost than from the preamp volume stage.

Jim C and Stevorebob like this.
  17. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    The MB series has a limiter function.

Which to me seems to work like a compressor. But it eliminates clipping.

AstralBirth likes this.
  18. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Right, when the MB2s moved to the MBs they were given limiters, but I believe that only works on the power section. Any clipping from preamp gain-stages will still be amplified.

At any rate, I’ve come across fans of each gain stage’s distortion here, so it all comes down to personal preference. I actually have an MB2-500 among my stable of GK amps, but I prefer the feel of my RBs. For me personally, I’ve found that the power provided by my 1001RB with the Mk.1 transformer (540w@4ohm, 340w@8ohm) is what is “just right” for my needs. :thumbsup:

aproud1 and Mohawk like this.
  19. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    Im still thinking about getting a RB1001 mkii to round out my analog type amp line up..
    Is the mkii 700 watts a real 700 watts?
    I have a MBF800 and like it but want something SS

20. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Given that the full rating for a 1001RB-ii is: "POWER <1% THD: 700W@4ohm, 460W@8ohm, 1kHz", and that GK has a pretty excellent reputation for conservative ratings... yeah, I think you can trust it. :thumbsup: