1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gallien Krueger Club. GK Rules !

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tunaman, Feb 20, 2014.

1. groovaholic

groovaholic The louder the better.

Sep 19, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Output should be comparable to the MBF800 — probably over 1,000 watts; 700 is a conservative rating.

That said, the MBF800 IS an analog and solid-state amp; I think what you’re talking about is staying away from switch-mode power supplies.

Either way, the 1001RB is a monster of an amp.

svtb15 likes this.
  2. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    yes.. That is what i meant...
    And thank you.

3. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Well, they are GK watts, you see.

Meaning the amp will achieve the rated power with burst power well in excess.

Red Planet likes this.
  4. AstralBirth

AstralBirth Supporting Member

The ampwedge came through! Can’t wait for this weekends outdoor festivities.
    463244DC-FB44-4CC1-9C78-8248CF5399FD.

5. Catbuster

Catbuster

Aug 25, 2010
    Louisville, KY.
    I’ve bench tested the 1001RB-II.

It puts out around 1000 watts ran wide open. (968 continuous, if I remember correctly) These amps are generally very conservative on power rating.

Red Planet and svtb15 like this.
  6. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    yeah yeah yeah..

Probably the best person I should have asked was Tom Bowlus.. He actually does those tests on a wide variety of gear... @tombowlus may have knowledge or has done a bench test on the 1001 mkii amp .

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018 at 5:55 PM
  7. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    That is EXACTLY what i was wanting to know! THANK YOU.
    I have an MBF800 and it is a great amp.. Light, Small and Loud..
    I like that people say the 1001 mkii conservatively rated. That's good to know.

There was a famous boutique amp builder here years ago ( 15 years) that had a 450 watt amp but he called it a higher number. I asked him why. he said its because it sounds as loud as other amps that are that are higher wattage. :rollno: Nothing worse than HYPE...

So many that i come across seem to love their 1001 amp.. And they have had them for years too. Good sign

8. Stevorebob

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Sorry I offend you. It is the Bass Gear Magazine test bench report from which I learned this information. Excuse me.

9. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    No offence at all.. Im just a MEANIE in general. HA Its a NY thing
    I'm just trying to get to the meat of the matter.. I did an edit so i didn't sound so mean..

AstralBirth likes this.
  10. AstralBirth

You don’t spose you make a spicy meat-a bowl with that Brooklyn rage?!

Red Planet likes this.
  11. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    :D im so so on the meat a ball .. But uncle paulie and I are great on fittig concrete shoes

12. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I'm really surprised how powerfully my MBF500 is, not sure I can imagine the 800 version.
    The 1001 is a bad mammajamma full on analog amp and not that heavy.
    No doubt the GK amps will put out well over their rated power.
    Not sure I can name off any other manufacturer that does this, usually they are under rated or just barely almost at rating.

Kirk I'm surprised you don't have a GK endorsement as much as you play.
    BTW if your close by/anywhere in the vicinity we are having a huge GA Jam Saturday there will be well over 100 local musicians there from the North GA area, stop on in a bring a Bass.

svtb15 likes this.
  13. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    I have been using another amp company for years.. I am very happy where i am.
    I prefer to buy my gear too so i don't feel like i owe anyone ..

I have about 10 amps ( class D to SVTs and others) at home and like to swap them out from time to time and it don't have to feel guilty.

I'm doing a guest appearance with my ex pop star boss next week. She is going out on an arena tour next year . Not sure if I'm gonna be able to be on that just yet.. She just had a box set for 30 year anniversary come out. .She asked me. But we will see what happens . So if i so it and we get to GA. .i will let you know ..

I was selling my Fender TB1200 which is a beast of an amp.. And thinking of replacing that one with the 1001 mkii.. . I think it would be a nice Clean sounding amp

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018 at 6:50 PM
    Mohawk, Red Planet, Kro and 1 other person like this.
  14. AstralBirth

My personal summary of the two.

MBF500 well rounded amp, not too loud or harsh on the speakers in lower settings .

MBF800 with just a hair up the gain and master knobs it gets loud as hell and very harsh on the speakers. Be very cautious.

If I were to choose between the two, I’d go with MBF800 since it’s more output than the 500. Plus you can’t go wrong with the lit up knobs!!

15. Stevorebob

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Absolutely amusing. Funny guy.

svtb15 and Red Planet like this.
  16. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    We have not bench-tested the 1001RB or the 700RB, but in my head-to-head comparisons, I believe that they are both rated fairly, if not conservatively.

17. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    So here is my 700RB not racked on the small cabs.
    I love these cabs they have got to be from 80s.
    And my MBF500 racked with a big 4x10 cab.

18. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta

Definitely if you get to GA I will come see you guys or really in this region.

svtb15 likes this.
  19. El Spearo

El Spearo

Jun 12, 2012
    Wellington, NZ
    I'm going through the PA this weekend, so I told the band I was bringing my small rig (tonehammer 500 and Audiokinesis TC112). Both guitars told me I had to bring my GK rig because they love the sound and feel of it on stage. It's a Fusion 550 through a neo 410. I'll have to oblige... :bassist:

RevGroove, Treb, son_of_mogh and 2 others like this.
  20. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Hey Kirk,
    I was just watching the Sopranos for the 2nd time. Paulie Walnuts is still a favorite.

This is part of a conversation we had a year ago.

My final thoughts:

The Fender 800 (no tube front end like yours) is brutally powerful. I thought I wanted dead clean and a lot of EQ options.
    The tone is too clean and one of the best built in compressors I've used. EQ can be a little touchy and can suck you in for hours of tweaking.
    I know you liked the room balance but I could never get it to sound right. The GK contour control does a similar thing but much better.
    Summation: Too heavy, too clean, tons of power, too many EQ options

Rehearsals and very occasional gigs - Ampeg pre (CL) through big iron power; I know you can appreciate a clean tube pre with stupid amount of power and heavy transformers.

Main Amp - RB1001; It does everything I need.
    Tons of clean power. It hits as hard or harder than the MBF800 (although I have never really had a chance (or a reason) to push these two anywhere near distortion; probably very little if any compression too).
    I'm not a huge fan of lots of grind; the MBF is less grind inherently and you can dial it out OK on the 1001RB.

Now looking for but some kind of Ampeg sounding pre to maybe get an additional tone; just want the magic clean SVT EQ / voicing.

Ashdown ABM 500 - I still really like the tone of this amp.
    I just can't get enough power out of this one to get a 2x12 to clean stage volume.
    The lighted VU meter actually dims when pushed hard. If you don't need super power this thing sounds great.
    All of a sudden these have no value on the used market. Someday I'll sell this one with the flight case it came with for cheap.

SVT - Because we can. Even if it stays at home it kills.
    Honorable Mention: 400 RB for practice

Or, You could get your MacroTech out of storage...