1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gallien Krueger Club. GK Rules !

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tunaman, Feb 20, 2014.

1. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    My friend has a used 1001 mkii.. I may buy it next week..

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018 at 2:57 PM
    Red Planet and Jim C like this.
  2. 841DF883-D5FF-4818-B72D-82F853AC3137.
    A couple of old friends I still use and love.
    I love those TL style GK112 cabs on the previous page..!

NDpeppers, alack, son_of_mogh and 4 others like this.
  3. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    I recently picked up a tech21 VT Bass pedal to put in front of my GK....it really does change the color of the tone and can get a quite convincing tubey fullness and edge.

Jim C, AstralBirth and Kro like this.
  4. The Fusion 550 was tested however. It can do 377 W @ 8 ohms / 568 W @ 4 ohms (GK specs it as 300/500W @ 8/4 ohms). Regardless of power output, this translates into a lot of oomph when you hookup two 8 ohms multi speaker cabinets.

5. AstralBirth

AstralBirth Supporting Member

I recently had a VT Bass pedal and gigged with it for a couple of gigs, the sound of the VT felt amazing and was very nice to me and the sound crew when I would lug around the MB212-II. Although a part of me felt it was taking over GK’s true sound and tone, (which the pedal was sounding more like an Ampeg amp than a GK amp) I sold mine. Didn’t want to do GK dirty like that lmao, guess I’m too much of a loyal customer to do something like that let alone a VT preamp pedal. I’d do it if it was a cheap bass amp (Hartke/peavey) but not to GK :oops:

madjazzbass and Jim C like this.
  6. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    MXR M80 play real nice with the GK tone.

son_of_mogh and AstralBirth like this.
  7. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    Yep...thats why its great to have a pedal vs a whole Ampeg/Tube rig...I can go straight GK, switch the VT off or on, take to some gigs and not to others, etc. A lot easier with that small pedal than lugging around a big tube head that your stuck with if its not a good fit for the room or gig. I haven't had my VT for that long yet so its too early to tell, but ill likely keep it and stick it in my gig bag...I like having options.

Jim C and AstralBirth like this.
  8. AstralBirth

AstralBirth Supporting Member

Good to know on that! Thank you. I’d figured if I was to sound like an ampeg I would just mess with DAW plugins and call it a night or simply go out and purchase an ampeg rig. Nothing wrong with VT’s or ampeg but ampeg isn’t my favorite type of sound or tone. At least I tried it though when it was hyped around my circle of friends.

9. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    The MXR is much cleaner. It just adds to the GK sounds. Doesn't change it.

son_of_mogh, Rickter and AstralBirth like this.
  10. Pocket4

Pocket4 Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2013
    New Hampshire
    These two go like "we was peas and carrots". I haven't separated the chain much, to try a pedalboard in front, but I like the pair as is. So pleased with these relics. P.S. run the GK drive high but modulate the Sansamp to no more than noon on blend. 20180421_184508.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018 at 7:14 PM
  11. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    The low blend is the secret but I think only the VT Bass DI has a blend. I dont believe the original VT Bass or the deluxe have one.

BrentSimons and Mohawk like this.
  12. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    I have no such qualms about that. My 1001RB is a tool. A reliable, flexible tool. If I want to use it essentially as nothing more than a power amp to amplify my VTDI, then so be it.

But what a power section it is though! No guilt.

13. groovaholic

groovaholic The louder the better.

Sep 19, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I tried the VTDI and found it too touchy and compressed.

I like the BDDI v2 (with mid control) better than the VTDI and much better than the BDDI v1, but when I compared the DI out of my Fusion 550 to the BDDI, I preferred the Fusion

14. Mpike

Mpike

Dec 10, 2016
    Florida
    I've been trying to fish through the thread to find any further recent info on the new fusion heads. I'm looking to join the GK community but haven't heard a peep on when they're coming out. All I've seen is the price go up on the fusion MB800 currently on the market.

15. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Haven't heard anything yet myself. Not that I have any insider info. I have been keeping an eye out for a few months now.

Mpike likes this.
  16. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Just go ahead and get the 2001 its something around 2,000 watts at 4 ohms. Yikes!:wideyed:

svtb15 likes this.
  17. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    So what I'm really loving about the 700 RB is that just on the edge of furry tone that I can get with the master and boost on about 1:00 and the gain right at the edge too. That's something that gets a lot louder with the 1001 to the point of pissing people off. I like a clean tone but right up to the edge of grind but not quite grind, if that makes any sense.

So I racked my MBF500 with my wireless ears so if I need my Eartechs I take it if not the 700 RB is going. :)

bassmike2010, Mohawk and BrentSimons like this.
  18. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Thank you these cabs are amazing they replaced a pair of Bergantino HT1X12ERs which were nice but fairly heavy. I swapped the stock EVM12Ls (which I still use) out for a set of Eminence Betas. They make these cabs so light, small, and portable its a no brainer. I picked the pair of them up in mint condition for $150.00 bucks.

19. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    It’s 1080W in bridged mode. I use it like that. Best amp I’ve ever used. Massive tone, growls as much as I want it to. The big headroom does wonders for the low end.

20. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta

Ah I see 540x2@ 2 ohms and 1080x1@ 4 ohms bridged.
    Yeah but those are GK watts they are bigger than everyone else's watts!:D

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 4:03 PM
    Catbuster and aproud1 like this.