1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gallien Krueger Club. GK Rules !

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tunaman, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    My guess is they're using a circuit for distortion like boost as opposed to the riding the rails power amp distortion that's harder to control.

The boost on the existing models already does this to some extent, but I wouldn't be surprised if they've just tailored the distortion to stay under 5kHz in the greater signal.

No power section distortion = IMO no need for HMS.

2. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Bi-amp. Separate 50-watt amp to drive the horn. RB amp grit happens after the separation.

What you’re getting at, I assume, is OD and distortion introduced before the RB from pedals. This obviously goes to both the RB high and low amps, so it’s in the high-end.

I’ve found the bi-amp feature of the RB to be superfluous — what, with FOH providing what the audience hears, at best I can keep RB grit out of my “monitor” tweeter. But my pedal OD, distortion and fuzz go right to the Neo tweeter and to the FOH speakers.

My guess is GK came to the conclusion the bi-amp provided little advantage, and have moved away from it with the new amps.

3. AstralBirth

AstralBirth Supporting Member

Last night I received my CX 410 from fedex and was able to compare the Neo 410 this morning by myself. Honestly heard nothing different between the two but the true test will happen this weekend :bassist:

4. That description of the Darkglass head is exactly why I stayed away - I already had my 700RB-II! Why would I pay all that money for a tone I already have. Also, the onboard distortion just wasn’t as good to my ears as the pedal.

yeldarb69 (Brad) and AstralBirth like this.
  5. AstralBirth

I know this is a GK thread but I have to agree with the Darkglass heads being subpar and not really good to the ears when it came to the onboard distortion. For it’s price , it deserves to be scoffed at for me.

6. You have to push them a bit. Unless they changed the way the CX cabinets were insulated. Boost your low mids on both and you should hear a difference. The CX should stay tighter longer, whereas the NEO will open up and push out more low-mids.

7. Andyman001

Andyman001 moderation must be taken with a grain of salt

Feb 11, 2010
    Idaho
    Ask and ye shall receive :)

#1175 – pht2356

pht2356 likes this.
  8. AstralBirth

Thanks! I’ll do that tonight. Any other suggestions?

9. Not really. See what you think when its pushed. I personally prefer it. Don't forget to add a little grind, too.

10. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Because it does that and ultra clean.

I think sub par is going a little far. I don't care for a lot of amps and their features out there but that is because I'm picky. Doesn't mean the amp is sub standard in any way. I'd be happy with the Darkglass just for the clean side. The bonus is I can make it sound a lot like my 700. It is an extremely well built and functioning amp IMO. Though I admittedly didn't buy it for the distortion.

11. ICODA

ICODA

Jan 16, 2019
    Toronto Canada
    Hi all,
    After reading a lot of this forum, and other areas on the interweb ;-), I just returned my Fender Rumble Stage 800 and purchased a Gk MB212ii.. Should arrive in 2 weeks .. Looking forward to it.
    Never played with 12" before, and there are none in my local stores (it's coming straight from GK), so I have no idea what I'm getting into here. lol.

Anyway, I'm excited for the arrival. Any suggestions on dial settings? I'm in a 90's - Modern rock cover band.. ;)

RevGroove, Rickter and AstralBirth like this.
  12. pht2356

pht2356

Apr 28, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Thank you

13. keto

keto

Mar 3, 2016
    Edmonton
    Should be perfect. I don’t see this talked about much here, but the speakers should break in some from what you first hear, if you use it regularly. Might find it over bright crisp with ‘normal’ EQ, use your ears, the amp has lots of adjustments. Over time, or once you get in a mix even, you might like it brighter than you thought. They take pedals great too.

14. AstralBirth

What he said although be cautious when pushing the speakers hard and if you hear a loud hissing noise, it’s just the combo doing it’s GK thing..

15. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    Thanks !
    Well, here is where "flat" is supposed to be....
    MB500.
    "I couldn't resist hooking my GK MB200 head up to an analyzer. The amp has the characteristic "scooped" voicing of GK heads, which I consider to be problematic for DB. On the other hand, I discovered that the MB200 can be dialed to within a dB of flat with the following settings:

Contour = Off
    Treble = 10:00
    Hi Mid = 2:00
    Low Mid = 1:00
    Bass = 10:00"

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    Nowyn likes this.
  16. ICODA

ICODA

Jan 16, 2019
    Toronto Canada
    Thanks Guys,
    I thought these combo's ran quiet without a hiss?

17. AstralBirth

IME when I owned the 212 combo, mine was loud in a practice session but of course in a gigging situation you’d hardly hear it. The combos do run quiet but not the 212 for me, I no longer own a 212 because of the fan hiss problem that sweetwater was kind enough to refund me the combo. I do admit that it was a great easy carrying combo for what it is and may have potentially owned a lemon as these problems do occur in the 212’s.

18. ICODA

ICODA

Jan 16, 2019
    Toronto Canada

was yours the newer 212-ii model? I've heard of issues such as this in the older 1st round 212..
    I had a markbass 102p which I got rid of because of the hiss - drove me mad... so i hope this one doesn't have it, or I'm gonna have to return it. :(

Sub-Frequency likes this.
  19. Sub-Frequency

Sub-Frequency

Sep 19, 2017
    Odd, I currently own the MB 102p and it's dead quiet.

20. ICODA

ICODA

Jan 16, 2019
    Toronto Canada
    Oh not mine.. I had to put the VPF or was it the VLE -- The yellow dial to the right ;-), about 12'oclock to stop the hiss.. then it was dead silent, but the tone was muddied IMO.