1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gallien Krueger Club. GK Rules !

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tunaman, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Sub-Frequency

Sub-Frequency

Sep 19, 2017
    The VLE filter is supposed to emulate vintage speakers by cutting the highs, so that makes sense. I usually play with my tone knob 75% rolled off, so maybe I'm just not hearing it. Seems odd though. What kind of bass are you using? Any effects?

2. ICODA

ICODA

Jan 16, 2019
    Toronto Canada
    No effects (plugged straight into the amp) - -I play a Squire Jazz 60's and a Spector Legend 4 custom.

3. AstralBirth

AstralBirth Supporting Member

Could also be some ground issues involved with your basses. I thought the same with past rigs and ended up being my basses. It’s an easy fix.

4. Rickter

Rickter

Nov 30, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Congrats. I for one think that you'll be happy with that combo. It was a strong contender in my shopping as well. As for my typical settings used in a rock/metal context, I usually leave the treble and bass knobs at noon, maybe boost to 1oclock. Hi mid I run at about 2 oclock, low mid at about 11 oclock. Boost anywhere from 9oclock to noon.

ICODA likes this.
  5. AstralBirth

I was able to attempt this for a half hour on the CX and my initial reaction was “Holy S***” the CX difinitely felt all the lo mids being pushed to the cab and keeping it locked in for the extra warm punch. It reminded of the times I’ve owned an MB410-II combo!! Very reminiscent and was very happy with the outcome of the CX, up next I got the Neo 410 tonight.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    Rickter and bassdrummer like this.
  6. ICODA

ICODA

Jan 16, 2019
    Toronto Canada
    Thank you very much.. I'm looking forward to trying out those settings are rocking the crap out of this thing ;-)

Rickter likes this.
  7. hellfart

hellfart

Nov 18, 2008
    Belgium
    NEO412 is welcomed to the family... pairs pretty well with my Ampeg SVT7-Pro.

Attached Files:

jefff100, Rickter and bassdrummer like this.

8. Words Of Wisdom here. ^^^

I'm still working in the new combo and that brightness is real, but it is manageable and taming out as the break in happens. And @ICODA , beware of the high end "clank", it is annoying at first,I until you learn how to work around it. I only get it at gigging volume and I think it has a lot to do with speakers breaking in and somewhat the nature of these 12" speakers. It bugged me a lot until I learned how to EQ the room better. The GK EQ is way different than the Rumble. ANd there is a bit of Shoosh/hiss, but it seems to me that it is fading as time and play time go by.

This is my second time owning this combo. The fan has made a whirring noise noticeable through the speakers once. I thought that was odd and was hoping that wasn't the norm. Must not be, because I only heard it once. And keep your cell phone away from the amp! My guitar player laid his on my amp for a bit at rehearsal and I thought aliens were invading our practice space!

AstralBirth and keto like this.
  9. Clark Word

Clark Word

Aug 26, 2018
    Keep it out of your pocket too. I had mine in my right front pocket and the pickups, Ibanez PowerSpan Dual Coils, went nuts and sent it right into my MB210II.

Sub-Frequency and AstralBirth like this.
  10. AstralBirth

I thought I had responded to this. No my 212 was not the first model I had, it was the second version “212-ii”

11. AstralBirth

Pretty funny how a combo amp that offers an aux option can also be dangerous when using it, for example a phone. I’m hoping with the new GK combos they eliminate that from happening. Not everyone uses an “mp3 player in this modern day and age unless you’re over 40.

12. bassmike2010

bassmike2010

May 28, 2010
    Houston
    But most people under and over the age of 40 do keep their cell phones on them. Not to mention tablets that may have connection

13. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    My phone goes in my guitar case at gigs for those reasons

14. Rickter

Rickter

Nov 30, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    drooldrooldrool

15. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Airplane mode. Always before I step foot on stage.

16. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    This. Simple. Effective. Easily reset.

17. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    That would work yessir.
    I’m not taking calls on stage tho, so in the case works for me

Plutonium244 likes this.
  18. Sub-Frequency

Sub-Frequency

Sep 19, 2017
    My phone is usually connected to the board to play MP's between sets. Last time we gigged I forgot to set it to airplane mode.....and.....you guess it.......got a surprise phone call into the PA. :wideyed:

Fortunately the ringer volume was turned down pretty low.

Plutonium244 likes this.
  19. bassmike2010

bassmike2010

May 28, 2010
    Houston

20. bassmike2010

bassmike2010

May 28, 2010
    Houston
    Phone goes on silent and in my back pocket when on stage. The issue was whether or not the combo would pick up any FM interference. Best just to keep it away from the amp until they work that out