1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gallien Krueger Club. GK Rules !

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tunaman, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    So believe it or not when I post here I make a great deal off effort to be as correct as I can. Please understand that for me spelling, punctuation, and grammatical are abilities I do not posses. For some reason I'm not wired that way. In college English, not sure I ever turned in a paper that wasn't red-lined from beginning to end. The thing that is bothersome is how people that have no trouble with this stuff have absolutely no clue or understanding for folks that struggle with it.

My best advice for avoiding confusion in my posts would be don't read them. IMO people who criticize others about there spelling and grammatical are just way too anal retentive and perhaps could use some humility YMMV.

Datsgor, bobomatic, ctmullins and 4 others like this.
  2. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I think it's shocking people don't lightning up.

Episodic event, after episodic event... we take ourselves way too series.

That's all I got.

Duder, ctmullins, Red Planet and 3 others like this.
  3. That man seriously needs a spankin from his momma!

Spidey2112 likes this.
  4. Mohawk

Mohawk Supporting Member

Oct 17, 2016
    Good thing there's no auto punctuation cause already auto correct is my worst enema.

5. There’s one actually used at GC, how small are they and how much do they weigh? Might consider trying them out if they’re that small and portable than the current Neo 112’s.

Red Planet likes this.
  6. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta

I measured they are 15" tall x 16.5" wide x 13" deep

They go fairly low for their size.

The nitty gritty:

These GK Thiele cabs that I know of came stock (I think) with an EVM 12L speaker. With EVM 12L are around 35 to 40 pounds (I do not have a scale) with an Eminence Beta they are around 22 to 25 pounds.

I have a pair so I went with a Whizzy cone on top speaker (for the extra highs) Eminence Beta 12LTA 8 ohm and an Eminence Beta 12A 8 ohm on bottom.

ctmullins likes this.
  7. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta

That is something I desperately need!

Mohawk likes this.
  8. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Went right over my head - as usual! Maybe something similar to this would work: www.newark.com/stellar-labs/555-15275/speakon-splitter-1-to-2-nl4mp/dp/73T6064?ICID=mcm-redirect-product . I saw it in another TB post some time back, but have no experience with it myself. I'm guessing a custom cable may be the easy answer though.

9. groovaholic

groovaholic The louder the better. Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI
    If there’s one of the cabs that you ONLY use as a second cab you could modify it to have an input plate with two Speakons on it.

If not, put dual Speakon plates on both.

bassmike2010 likes this.
  10. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I made a cable yesterday from some cheapo cables Guitar Center through in when I purchased 4 Yamaha monitor cabs. This stuff is I think like 12 or 14 gauge zip cord but it's easier to use. I ran two lines into one speak on then out to two 1/4" TS plugs. So that gets me on that one. I still need a better solution for my TE Elf head and those two cabs as this would require 1/4 to 1/4 to 1/4. I should preface this by saying this is only for a backup head situation when using those cabs. I normally run either a 700RB OR MBF500 with these two cabs but if I needed a backup either of those little heads would do (TE Elf or MB200). Perhaps I just need to only use the MB200 for that purpose.

11. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Tracking number says my two CX210 cabs will be here tomorrow.

Yippy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. 9985

Mar 22, 2018
    Anyone have a recommendation for a cheap replacement 1 button footswitch with a channel indicator light for a GK MB500 Fusion? I bought a used head that came w/o a foot switch - digging around old posts on TB & elsewhere, I understand that any simple latching TS switch will work, but I was hoping for one wired properly to light up indicating channels. found one vendor making custom replacement switches specifically for MB series (with a channel light) but they want 70 bucks, which seems nuts; I'll live without the channel light if I have to - suggestions?

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  13. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    AstralBirth and Kro like this.
  14. 9985

Mar 22, 2018
    thanks- talking to seller now (listing was 14+ months old, pleasantly surprised it is still available). For the record, does anyone have info about the wiring requirements to make the LED with work on other foot switches? I found a cheapo Neewer NW-201 switch that reviews say work (including LED) with Marshall JCM2000 heads.

ctmullins likes this.
  15. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    If you were close to me I have two. I would give you one for free.

16. 9985

Mar 22, 2018
    @Joe406- that's very kind of you, I bounce between MD & PA - I am only in FL a few times a year for work. I just bought the one linked above for a reasonable price for a well-built one with the LED.

Red Planet likes this.
  17. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    I would of shipped it to ya.

I got two of the. One came with my MB-800 fusion and the other from my MB-500.

So it's the same GK switch.

Glad you found one.

Red Planet and Kro like this.
  18. 9985

Mar 22, 2018
    appreciate it, all set now. Good karma for the offer!

ctmullins and Kro like this.
  19. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    So while we are asking I'm looking for a Micro Channel Switch with LED for my MBF500 anyone got any suggestions?

Edit: I found one at Saturn Works Pedals Micro Latching with Internal Powered LED. Just pulled the trigger on it.

This little guy.

Switches for Amps & Other Devices - Saturnworks Pedals

Have to choose Micro Latching with LED internal power option to see it.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  20. bumperbass

bumperbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2012
    It looks like the CX 210 cabs have a Speakon AND a 1/4" paralleled, so you could run a Speakon from an amp to one cab and run a 1/4" out to the next cab. You could also run a 1/4" from an amp into one cab, and run a Speakon to the other cab. Easy-peasy.

If I misunderstood you, you could do it the hard way:

Get a plastic box like a Hammond 1591XXTFLBK. This one's 4.8L x 3.2w x 2.2d.
    On one end, put a Speakon and 1/4" connector (chassis connectors). This is where you'll plug in either of your amp's output.
    Pick another spot and mount two 1/4" Switchcraft #11 jacks. These will be the output to your cabs. Yeah, you'll need more speaker cables (1-Speakon cable to box, 1-1/4" to box, and 2-1/4" to each cab), but it will be easier to troubleshoot should you have a future problem. While you're at it, mount 2-Speakon outputs in the box so you'll be ready for any situation.
    Do not use a metal box, because the amp outputs are not ground-referenced.

Red Planet and ctmullins like this.