1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gallien Krueger Club. GK Rules !

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tunaman, Feb 20, 2014.

1. bassmike2010

bassmike2010

May 28, 2010
    Houston
    grandpa.

2. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Thank you. Concerning the CX210s there is no issue there. The issue is with the two vintage GK 1X12 cabs that have a single 1/4" input jack. And the only issue is for my backup head for these cabs.

3. groovaholic

groovaholic The louder the better. Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Another option would be a splitter box with a Speakon input and two 1/4” outputs.

Cost you about $10 in parts to make...

Kro likes this.
  4. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Honestly, I would just add a second jack to each cab. Probably convert them to Speakon while I’m at it.

1960jbass and joel406 like this.
  5. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    You should of got in touch with me I would of sent you one.

6. groovaholic

Sep 19, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI
  7. Finally at a better living situation now and am looking to rebuying my GK gear. Don't think I'll need a 212 cab anymore due to space and weight since I'm not playing big venues anytime soon (lately we've been playing more art gallery shows/private parties that hold about 150 people). So I might go the 2x Neo 112 route paired with a 700rbii. I know a couple people in this thread that rock the GK rig and would like some stories/experience to further my GAS. Any one would like to share some first hand/past experiences with the set up?

Mohawk likes this.
  8. Mohawk

Mohawk Supporting Member

Oct 17, 2016
    That is exactly my favorite setup for that size gig. I've even used it in a couple of outdoor settings where the NEO 412 was going to be harder to get up on the stage and had plenty of volume/headroom. I find it's a great sounding and pretty convenient setup.

9. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    And it's switchable, isn't it? So I wonder if the switch was engaged so that it was in headphone mode...

10. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I ended up replacing mine with a Boss FS-5L...preferred the black backing with the red indicator light.

The only downside is that it requires a AA Battery to operate...but it lasts a good long while...

11. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta

Now remember this is for a backup amp option on the Gig (when I'm using these cabs) not a "using this every day" option. I will probably never use it other than to test. For sure on these cabs I could easily convert it to a different arrangement but there is no way I'm going to do that to them. I'm going to leave them as is.

I made this yesterday and it should work for my purposes.

12. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Looks good, but be sure and test it for phase.

13. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    New cab arrival!

14. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    So just had a few minutes to play the CX210 got to do a thing with my daughter.
    They sound great, I like the tweeter switch in the low position.
    Lots of low end, much more that I expected.

Also of special note these cabs are just gorgeous, very pretty and very high quality look and feel.
    The factory boxes make me think GK is planning on being around after a nuclear blast.

15. groovaholic

Sep 19, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Ha! I was just asking how they sound...
    (Like LITERALLY typing when you posted)

Rickter and Red Planet like this.
  16. Let me know @Red Planet on that 700rb pairing with those two CX 210’s. I might just consider getting a pair of those than the NEO 112’s if they’re almost around the same weight and dimensions.

TonyP-, Al Kraft and Red Planet like this.
  17. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Will do I'll be using this rig at an outside gig this weekend.

Rickter, Al Kraft and AstralBirth like this.
  18. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I did play for about an hour after I got home and was able to sus out a little bit more. Its almost hard to put my finger on the frequencies I'm hearing but these cabs have a punch to them, and almost 3d like immediacy that is hard (for me to define well). This is kind of weird but they sound like they look if that makes any sense at all. They have this forward kick you in the teeth somewhere in the midrange punch. I'm really liking that so far.

So let me preface by saying I'm playing a G&L LB-100 Empress (P Bass), straight in, and I have everything straight up at noon except the master and boost master 3:00 oclock and the gain on 11:00 oclock.

I think I saw someone say these cabs are mid scooped and that is definitely not the case with this setup. If I turn the Contour down all the way they are way too many mids for my liking.

I cannot believe I have missed out on these cabs for this long, just great cabs. I may end up getting a set of the 15's too.
    I have a gig this weekend so I hope my covers come in they are too pretty to scratch up.

Rickter, joel406 and AstralBirth like this.
  19. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    NAD. I just got bought a GK MB150SIII because it's a convection cooled head with a headphone out I can use at home in the middle of the night. Wow, what lovely tone I get out of this and my Hartke Hydrive 12. I'm now a GK believer. Hope I am welcome to join the club here.

Red Planet, AstralBirth and lucas303 like this.
  20. I’ve only had experienced the 4x10 CX cab and while it was very heavy in weight, the tone made up for it when I had an MBF500. Good times, I honestly just might consider a CX210 cab since they’re cheaper and more accessible to demo in stores in my area.

Also, do you know what’s the height of the stacked 210 CX cabs?

Red Planet likes this.