1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gallien Krueger Club. GK Rules !

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tunaman, Feb 20, 2014.

1. If it is not to much trouble, is there any way i can talk you into stacking them vertically and giving us a report on the sound ?

2. groovaholic

groovaholic The louder the better. Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Great minds, etc...

Rickter and BrentSimons like this.
  3. lucas303

lucas303

Mar 11, 2019
    Colorado
    Does anyone know if the MB Fusion 800 has any sort of integrated HPF? In searching I came across a thread about a different GK amp that apparently has sort of a built in HPF, so I'm wondering about this one.

4. With the diagonal arrangement of the speakers...how would stacking them vertically work? Wouldn't the speakers be in essentially the same configuration as they are now? Not being a smart arse. Maybe I'm not seeing it?
    Best wishes,
    Brent

Kro likes this.
  5. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    By my calculations it'd sacrifice 4" in width for 8" in height - given that individually they're naturally a little wider than they are tall by default.

Will anybody be able to hear a difference from that minor of a change? Potentially if they really listen for it, but odds are it won't be noticeable in a mix - unlike the Neo 112-ii that drastically changes dimensions.

Just conjecture, but I'd be surprised if there's a huge difference. I look forward to real world experience on this front though.

Rickter, AstralBirth and BrentSimons like this.
  6. Gotcha! Thank you.
    Yes I agree! I used to have some Neo 112's. Night and day difference stacking them vertically.
    Best wishes,
    Brent

7. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Speaking of baffles, I just read this article. I'm not sure how authoritative it is, but I found it pretty fascinating. Particularly this bullet:
    • Baffle step is addressed in the crossover design. It is called baffle step compensation (BSC) and lowers the output of the frequencies above the baffle step.
    I'd bet that not many MI cab makers incorporate this though (would love to have a pro confirm), as frequently cabs are stacked and arranged in ways that might alter the baffle dimensions and would probably be pretty hard to control for. Very interesting.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    Mohawk likes this.
  8. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Technical considerations from the home hi-fI world are not always applicable to the pro audio/live sound world. To us, operating efficiency is a prime concern, whereas home audiophiles are all about flat response and phase coherency. Additionally, for MI cabinets, some coloration of the sound is actually beneficial and sought after. Any response variations from what is desired (which is rarely “flat”) are usually dealt with in EQ.

Mohawk and Kro like this.
  9. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Sure be glad to it might be next week after my gear comes back from the gig. I have it stacked by the studio door ready for loading. If I get time I can set it up, just depends on what kind of time I have between now and this next gig. My day job is severely interfering with my bass playing time, owning a company as a time sucker.

More bass playing and less work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hyper::bassist::bassist::hyper:

Rickter and bassmike2010 like this.
  10. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta

I can tell you the whole vertical alignment deal I don't think makes that much difference. If it was that big a deal the 4x10 cabs would become extinct IMO. I agree with vertical alignment until you fill the room with people.

11. Count me in on that report as well!!

Red Planet likes this.
  12. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    IMO it’s not about vertical alignment per se as much as it’s about improved and more uniform dispersion. That matters to me, but individuals' mileage may vary. Sure it’s one variable among many (not least of which is the room), but I’ll take any improvement than I can get.

4x10 cabs are still around because people buy them – simple as that. They get the job done, that much is true – I probably play more shows through backlined 410s than any other format, and I’m never unhappy to see one. Sometimes they even have four of the same drivers in them!

Still, as a point of preference, I wouldn’t mind having improved dispersion from them – just like I wouldn’t mind having four of the same drivers. Wants vs. needs though, right? :p

Red Planet, Mohawk and ctmullins like this.
  13. lucas303

lucas303

Mar 11, 2019
    Colorado
    I contacted GK about this and here's the response:

Yes, we have a HPF in the MB Fusion 800 as well as all out amplifiers and I would assume most amps on the market do as well. The deep switch just moves that HPF down a little lower, letting more of the sub freq. through. I would estimate its around a normal 50hz roll off and maybe moves that down to 40hz or so.

son_of_mogh, TomB, Al Kraft and 3 others like this.
  14. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta

Well if you can hide from the sound coming out of these two CX210 cabs I'll give you 50 bucks. :laugh:

Rickter and Kro like this.
  15. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Ha! Don't get me wrong, I'd rock that rig in a heartbeat! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

This is more of what I had top of mind when I wrote my previous post...
    [​IMG]

16. The price keeps dropping on this RBH.. FDBB2F2D-74D0-4B3C-B35F-C445964B5BB2.

17. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    If they think it's a combo, they probably think it's broken.

18. The price keeps dropping on this RBH..
    Played it at the store. It’s definitely not broken..

I think it’s just sleeping until someone’s worthy to pick it up :laugh:

BrentSimons and Kro like this.
  19. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    (It's also definitely not a combo ;))

20. The price keeps dropping on this RBH..
    *Woosh*