1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gallien Krueger Club. GK Rules !

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tunaman, Feb 20, 2014.

1. PeaveyPlayer

PeaveyPlayer Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Waiting for the new led sled

I had two
    2001 RBS I sold way to cheap...

I’ve been using an Aguilar pre with poweramp and a TC bh800 live

I tried the legacy and it sounded great but the lack of a pad did it for me

my Emg JX and 18 volts with Aguilar pre
    Distorts it even with trim at 0

So... please put a pad !!

BrentSimons and alaskaleftybass like this.
  2. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    That's what Trim is if I'm not mistaken. Variable pad in knob form. I wonder if a pad wouldn't also still distort...?

Can always turn down the volume on the bass. :D

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
  3. You could probably wire an internal trim pot between the Aguilar pre and output jack on the bass inside of the control cavity. I know that the Aguilar preamps don't have this, but some preamp boards even have a build on output trim pot.

4. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    At my age I'm beginning to feel the true impact of "The Circle of Life." When I was young, I could heft around an SVT with an 810 cab (with a little help from my friends) but as I've gotten older and the bands more moderate level volume I'm now yearning for small but best performance. I'm glad the younger players like the big stuff, I hope they enjoy their gear as much as I did when I was their age. Us old timers will enjoy our new Class D stuff and look back fondly at the Lead Sled days. Room for both in the bass world. Rock on, GK users! :thumbsup:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    madjazzbass, shoot-r, FARBass and 8 others like this.
  5. Yes. As Kro mentioned the Trim knob serves the same purpose as the Pad.

It’s got a fairly wide band of variance hopefully this will work for you.

ToneMonkey and BrentSimons like this.
  6. BigBrownBass

BigBrownBass

Jan 26, 2020
    UK

Totally get you, but there's just something about non class d amplification. The solidness & non brittle vibe you get just for the convenience of a few pounds of weight seems a good reason not to use it for me lol.
    Most modern cabs are much lighter than the legacy days of bass gear so an amp head weighing in about 15kg with modern cabinets is totally cool with me. Valve stuff is different again but a good amp with a good analogue power supply delivering actual real world current to a speaker is a thing the class d stuff so far i've never felt yet. Looking forward to the new RB replacements : )

alaskaleftybass and bassmike2010 like this.
  7. fgallien

fgallien

Mar 3, 2014
    Seems like a couple people answered this, but the Trim is the pad! If your bass still overdrives the input trim with the trim at zero, then you might honestly just need to turn the volume down on the bass

8. fgallien

fgallien

Mar 3, 2014
    New demo with the Legacy 410 and NEO IV 410, dialed in some grit!

9. ToneMonkey

ToneMonkey

Sep 27, 2003
    Newberg, OR
    What good is an 18V pre if it sounds like doodoo into most amps. smh

PeaveyPlayer likes this.
  10. PeaveyPlayer

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Well don’t you want the hottest single going into your amp before clip?

unless your looking for a specific sound?

I mean even when I ran it at 75% it was still to hot on my low e

plus when I start boosting then it’ll clip again

11. bassmike2010

bassmike2010

May 28, 2010
    Houston
    Supposedly 18v simply offers more headroom. Which, as you say is an unfortunate combination
    if you can't toggle between that and 9v from the pre. If the trim is too sensitive to the voltage
    output the only other option is to back down and lose optimal PU output. Necessitating a variable
    active DI in the chain?

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  12. ToneMonkey

ToneMonkey

Sep 27, 2003
    Newberg, OR
    I get it. But since the vast majority of bassists use some amount of compression or limiting, it would seem all too easy to have too much headroom/dynamic range.

Still smh. But I’m a passive pickup guy these days.

13. bassmike2010

bassmike2010

May 28, 2010
    Houston
    All my 5'ers are active 9v and even the two vintage stingrays. Into a 700 RB I have no issues with gain structure so my suggestions are from logic. It would seem that compression, effects, or any tone modification would obviously need to be set then run to a DI or other tube preamp Etc to control output to the Head. Otherwise I'm glad I can spend time honing my craft, learning tunes , booking shows, and wrestling with a PA. In my experience when you're playing out live bass is a different animal from recording. Less is more. Life is too short to spend that much time with something the average crowd is oblivious to.

alaskaleftybass and jefff100 like this.
  14. PeaveyPlayer

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    The pad is a huge saver it’s on all my heads
    From Aguilar to peavey and old GK heads?

output is output
    The amp should have a pad to reduce
    There’s tons of super hot instruments
    The new stringays
    G&L MFD
    My peaveys are 18 volt
    My jazz bass with Emg is

Not only that my jazz is volume volume
    Not volume balance

so now finding the equall center of both pickups is harder now that I have to reduce it to around 50% volume to accommodate for the amp

15. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    The trim is a variable pad. It attenuates the input signal.

alaskaleftybass, J R Knots and kobass like this.
  16. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    They key part of that is before clipping. ;)

Are you using any pedals or just bass into amp?

I also have to ask just to be sure: the distortion isn't from low batteries, right?

17. PeaveyPlayer

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    No it was clean no pedals

It’s just seriously hot

18. fgallien

fgallien

Mar 3, 2014
    Again, the Trim on the Legacy is the pad! It is just variable, but all the way up and all the way down is the same as the pad button on/off on our older models. We have tested tons of "hot" basses without problem, for example the Zon I use in a lot of the demos is a really hot active bass, but I still set the trim at 50 percent. I would suggest maybe putting some sort of limiter or compression in front of the amp to control the output of your bass if you can't turn down the output volume on the bass itself. I also read that some basses have a trim that can be accessed inside the electronics of the bass? There are a couple great threads I've seen here on TB that have addressed similar issues with super hot basses that you could check out as well.

19. Solude

Solude

Sep 16, 2017
    I'm trying to decide between a 500 Legacy head with a 2x10 CX cabinet or the MB210 combo. How is the overdrive section on the head? Is it the Boost circuit with better control or can it get into distortion like say a RAT? Any videos of the overdrive from off to dimed would be great.

20. I can't advise you to go with the separates over the combo - I sometimes would like the simplicity of a combo, but in general I've become a separates guy.

I don't have the 500 but my primary amp for now is the Legacy 800. I like the overdrive as its not too far into the world of distortion, but it does add some definite edge, and its controllable.
    For me, this most often gets used for example I'm playing my Fender P/J Aerodyne - classic tones kind of bass, but perhaps when the band gets cranked if the mids from having 2 guitars and several singers, the mix is a little muddy, I'll back off the upper mids on the amp and engage the overdrive and set the drive knob to around 1 o'clock, level taste.
    FWIW - the cabinet being used is primarily an Epifani T-210.

No demo recordings at this point. Its on my to-do list, along with 1000 other things.

Andyman001, J R Knots and Solude like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 8, 2021