1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gallien Krueger Club. GK Rules !

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tunaman, Feb 20, 2014.

1. ToneMonkey

ToneMonkey

Sep 27, 2003
    Newberg, OR
    Two things usually argue against a combo for me: volume and weight. The Legacy 112 combo just destroys both those objections. Wicked loud 800 watts through a speaker that can handle it and hold together. I was only able to test at ~75% volume because it's THAT loud. At 32 lbs (feels even lighter than that when you heft it), it's lighter than a lot of cabs. It's the first combo I've played that didn't feel like a compromise.

2. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    400, but still more than adequate. ;)

The extension options are honestly pretty great though.
    Screenshot_20210404-101032.png

3. I am a separates guy too.

I’ve own both combos and separates.

On one of my combo amps -I had to replace the speakers ( about 7 yrs after I got it new)

To me the separates give you so many options if you don’t mind owning a few cabs.

I own a Legacy 500 and find I can get enough of an overdrive for what I like. ( I am not wanting much distortion- just the bare minimum most of the time).

I also own Fusion 550 for rooms that require a louder amp.

I can select between a bunch of options for the speaker cabs.

Again, I think the combos have their place but the speakers tend to fail quicker than the amps.

Having said all this one my favorite amps of all time is a GK MBE 150. 110DD40E-0250-4518-9A1B-0ACF483BCB92.jpeg

4. ToneMonkey

ToneMonkey

Sep 27, 2003
    Newberg, OR
    Right. Scary to think of doubling that by adding an extension cab. It just goes to show that maximizing clean SPL air movement is much more about great engineering than it is raw wattage. At 400w through a single 12, it feels more than twice as loud as my Aggie TH500 head through a pair of 210AV cabs.

Jason Hollar, jefff100 and J R Knots like this.
  5. Yeah, my MBS is still my home practice amp. It's been gigged once or twice and been used in a practice space.

6. lizardking837

lizardking837

Jan 28, 2009
    Got my 2 x 12 Neo IV delivered today! I can't wait to get my Fusion head back and make some noise :bassist:

7. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    Get my Fusion S 1200 today !

And welcome back !

8. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT

And welcome back !

lizardking837 likes this.
  9. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT

And welcome back !

10. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Gold Supporting Member

You'll dig it. I have the 800 S and it slams pretty hard. Make sure your cables have NL2 on the amp side, NL4's will not work. Enjoy!!!

20210403_155615.jpg

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    bdplaid, DrMole, Turtle71 and 3 others like this.
  11. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    I will lose it if my brand new Mogamis don't fit. Lol

12. 1bassplayinfool

nl2.png nl4.png

13. lizardking837

lizardking837

Jan 28, 2009
    Feels good to be back! Also, I got to test out my Neo IV 2 x 12 at my last band rehearsal. It sounds incredible and loud.

I couldn't be happier with my purchase and I'm gonna use some birthday cash to buy a Legacy 500 in a few weeks :bassist:

Medbo_BassBoy and shoot-r like this.
  14. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    Not home to look. Worst case I'll be pissed off while I wait to to good ends to come to swap out. Screenshot_20210409-123434_Sweetwater.jpg

15. 1bassplayinfool

Those look like NL4 to me. Back of my amp says 2 pole keyed on the outputs.

20210321_222043.jpg

16. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    Yeah me too. I may have another cable or 2 though.

1bassplayinfool likes this.
  17. rag

rag

Mar 24, 2003
    Robert A. Gallien, President Gallien-Krueger
    The trim is a variable pad and is designed to allow you to perfectly match you bass and playing style to the amplifier.
    RAG

18. 1960jbass

1960jbass Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Berwick, PA
    Just finished converting my speaker cables to NL2's. Never knew there was a difference with the NL4's until it was brought up in this forum. Now I can switch cables between my Legacy 500 and my 700RB.

1bassplayinfool likes this.
  19. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    Yup, my $100 mogami cables do not fit. My $25 Pro Co does.

20. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    It's sounds glorious 20210409_194709.jpg

21. ToneMonkey

ToneMonkey

Sep 27, 2003
    Newberg, OR
    I love Mogami stuff... for signal connections. I use it almost everywhere in the studio. But honestly, I'm not sure short speaker cables are worth the coin. It's a short run (not much series resistance). You don't have to worry about noise either. Any sufficiently heavy cable would likely function just as well as Mogami. I used to use Carvin cables when I ran head+cabs. ProCo is my go-to brand for live mic and patch cables (no one can tell the difference at a gig), and Sweetwater almost always has the best price. I think they have some sort of volume private branding arrangement with ProCo.

bassmike2010 and J R Knots like this.
  22. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    I ordered some NL2 connectors to swap out.

23. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 8, 2021