Gallien Krueger Club. GK Rules !

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tunaman, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Ductapeman

Ductapeman Ringmaster and Resident Geriatric Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2016
    The West Pole
    I started life as a drummer, but I got better
    I was looking for the "correct" extension speaker for the MB150E, but seems like they're awful thin on the ground-- It would be a decent small-club amp and drummer's monitor in a big one--so I'll probably end up with a 2x12 of current production, probably, maybe, Idunno--

2. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Back when the MB150E's were killing the scene, GK did have a matching cabinet called the MBX112. A lot of players said they got respectfully loud and the double stack was especially popular with upright bass players. You could probably find one in Musicians Friend or Guitar Center, or used.

MBX112:

mbx112.PNG

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
    DrMole, squarepeg, RevGroove and 6 others like this.
  3. lizardking837

lizardking837

Jan 28, 2009
    Added to the GAS list. I'd love to pick up a small cab for home playing/low volume gigs and jams.

I just bought the NEO IV 212 and am about to close on a house so it may be a bit of a wait. :thumbsup:

DrMole, squarepeg, Ductapeman and 2 others like this.
  4. Same. I've had my MB150S for ages and got tons of power for my use and sounds amazing. I've had it at a band practice space and also used it once for a gig. It was a little lacking in power at the practice space. I wonder how it would've sounded with the extension cab. But now I have the Legacy 800 and a 410 cab. Now to just get back to a dedicated space so I can use it....

squarepeg and J R Knots like this.
  5. bassdrummer

bassdrummer Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2006
    Visalia, California
    Here’s mine:
    7-F40128-A-F275-46-E0-B866-303-DA02175-EE.jpg

6. I have used mine in the past at gigs- they are nice where you don’t have to be real loud- with some drummers/guitarists this works well... others ....not so much.

I have played mine through a larger cabinet and shut off the internal speaker. You can hear that the internal speaker is much more efficient and perfectly matched.

On the other hand the amp has a lot of power and can easily power 2x12 or 4x10’s ...you just have to crank it up.

I was able to use mine in a few clubs where I could carry the amp, my basses and gig bag in one load- which was really beneficial in the Downtown environments (where you can’t park close and have slep your equipment a block or so).

I never owned the extension cabinet, that was designed for these, but I am sure the sound fantastic.

One other feature this amp has is a very cool chorus.

7. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Did you ever find them?

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  8. Snowglo

Snowglo Pro Aris et Focis

Nov 15, 2013
    Orygun
    U.S. Military endorsement since 1984

How’s the Neo IV 2x12 as far as response and actual power handling? I’ve been looking at these, but to new to have any solid reviews from the field. Probably the only cab right not that I would consider giving up one of my fEarfuls for.

9. lizardking837

lizardking837

Jan 28, 2009
    Very good question. My cab only has about 10 hours of play time and I haven't even been able to really push it (The guitar player is very uptight about volume). The sound is great, very clear very responsive, it tolerates my pedals very well.

10. Snowglo

Snowglo Pro Aris et Focis

Nov 15, 2013
    Orygun
    U.S. Military endorsement since 1984
    Thank you. May I ask where you purchased it? I see Sweetwater does not yet have any in stock. Only the “notify me” option appears.

11. lizardking837

lizardking837

Jan 28, 2009
    I got mine from Sweetwater when they were still on pre-order. It wasn't delivered until April.

alaskaleftybass and Snowglo like this.
  12. squarepeg

squarepeg

Dec 21, 2010
    Slovenia
    It sounds rather good. 20210605_202010.jpg

13. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    Which week were you referring too exactly? Seems you've lost track of what's going on.

14. alaskaleftybass likes this.
  15. squarepeg

squarepeg

Dec 21, 2010
    Slovenia
    No, that's how it came. I got it used here in Europe, so don't know how old it is, or what might have been done to it before I got it.

alaskaleftybass and BklynKen like this.
  16. squarepeg

squarepeg

Dec 21, 2010
    Slovenia
    With the extension cabinet it sounds louder and deeper.

Back in the late 80s - early 90s I gigged an MB150 running into 2x15" EVs in Thiele cabinets. It was loud enough onstage even with two guitarists using Fender Twins.

I had an MB150 combo and an MB150 head. I found I never had to use them both - one was enough.

17. Katoosie

Katoosie

Jun 12, 2020
    Sweden
    Hey so can someone explain to me the difference between the normal and full range twist selector on the back of my Neo?

Its currently set to normal at 12 and I can either turn it at - 12db or +12 but not to full range which is at 6.

Also the cab is set to full range mode, not bi amp.

Thank youuuu :)

18. Bi-amp requires a GK amp that has that functionality, AND the GK 4 pole Speakon conductor. It essentially lets you control the tweeter from the amp via the "tweeter" knob on those amps (instead of the tweeter control on the back of the cab). Most amps (even many GKs) do not have this function. Full range mode has the tweeter controlled from the back of the cab like usual. I'm sure there are more nuances, but that's the gist of it.

alaskaleftybass and Katoosie like this.
  19. takeout

takeout Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Kansas City area
    Without combing through all 700+ pages: were NEO-IVs going to come in a powered version at some point? ETA?

20. Solude

Solude

Sep 16, 2017
    I'd assume no since the combos don't have a chain out like the MBs did. And if I had to guess it's because the powered MBs didn't sell well.

alaskaleftybass and wave rider like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021