Gallien Krueger Club. GK Rules !

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tunaman, Feb 20, 2014.

1. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I've noticed a lot of questions on using non GK speaker cabs with their GK amp heads. All I remember @rag saying is that his cabinets are optimized to work with their amp counterparts. Having said that, I do use my heads with a DNA DNS112 with my GK MB200, or 2 x Eden EX110's with my GK MB500. It's been my goal to sell those cabs and buy appropriate GK cabs. Since the pandemic shipping rates have quadrupled and the market is very slow. No money no gigs. A testament to how great GK amps is that even though I'm not using GK cabs the heads still sound incredible. But everyone has their own preference to equipment.

2. In my experience, GK heads sound great with any cabs. I'd had extensive use of a Hartke 410 and also my '80s SWR Goliath 410. Also Ampeg cabs a few times.

3. TinIndian

TinIndian Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    This

I was at Sam Ash over the weekend and played a Legacy 800 thru a Berg 210. Wow!

It stands to reason that the GK heads and Cabs are optimized to work with each other, I would expect that every manufacturer that builds both does the same. That doesn't preclude a given head from working well with another manufacturers cabinet. Heck back in the 80's my favorite setup was a GK head thru a Hartke cab. I've been using my same 212 cab for about 8 years now and I don't plan on switching anytime soon. Everything about this cab suits my needs perfectly, power handling, tone and form factor in general is ideal. Doesn't mean there arent better cabs out there, I am quite sure there are, but I have no interest in chasing that particular ghost.

And it doesn't help that none of the stores around me have GK cabs.

Andyman001, FlyingV73 and BlueTalon like this.
  4. I'm playing a gig at the Bowery Electric in NYC on July 2. One of the house bass amps listed is a 700RB (with Ampeg 410). Color me excited.

5. tindrum

tindrum Supporting Member

May 2, 2007
    Suffolk, VA
    Nice! I once did a gig in a very large theater and the back line rig was an 800RB and an Ampeg 8x10 SVT cab. Sounded HUGE.

6. groovaholic

groovaholic The louder the better. Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Mount Prospect, IL
    I can see how it would!

The 800RB and SVT-810 match-up is a real “punch through it” pairing.

They have compatible power ratings and both have LF response that drops off below 80Hz, so you aren’t wasting wattage on rumble that just makes trouble for FOH…

7. Interesting. Does this also go for the current amps? I've been reading up lately on high pass filters.

8. groovaholic

Sep 19, 2004
    Mount Prospect, IL
    I’m not sure about the CURRENT amps, but my 700RB-II has the same roll-off as the 800RB when the 4/5 String button is in the 4-String position

9. Thanks. The manuals don't mention this, do they? I don't see anything about it in my Legacy manual. Makes me wonder how useful something like a HPF would be with these heads.

@rag?

lizardking837 likes this.
  10. chazsundance

chazsundance Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2011
    Spokane, WA
    I've been using an early 90s 800RB and now an '87 800RB through the same Ampeg 610 cab, its an awesome sound. There is a sound difference between the two amps, the 90s is brighter and not as much lows when set exactly to the older '87.

Has anyone tried the new NEO IV 212 or 410 cabs yet?

Love45 and tindrum like this.
  11. groovaholic

Sep 19, 2004
    Mount Prospect, IL
    I’m not sure if there were changes to the 800RB throughout its production, but here’s one basic (but not obvious) thing that I found.

At one point, I owned two 700RB.
    When I got the 2nd one, I was kinda bummed, because when set the same, it just didn’t sound as “lively”.

Then I noticed that the minimum setting on my original amp corresponded to like 7 o’clock, while the new (to me) amp was pointing more toward 8…so with the knobs in the same visual position, everything in the new amp was down a notch, so to speak.

I can be a little “nit picky” about stuff like this, so I pulled all of the knobs off the new amp, set all of the potentiometers to minimum, and matched the knob orientations to my familiar 7 o’clock.

After that, the amps sounded the same when set the same.

12. TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    Could be on the older one the caps are a little more "tired".
    Or simply that the tolerances on the components are slightly different but enough of those in a circuit could make it behave differently. Different manufacturers of components spec'd slightly different.

13. rag

rag

Mar 24, 2003
    Robert A. Gallien, President Gallien-Krueger
    Every amp will sound a little different with the pots set the same. Pots have a 20% tolerance, the caps we use are +/- 5% and the resistors are +/-1%. So setting the amps side by side will require a slight adjustment of the controls to make them sound exactly the same. Every amp is computer measured at 200 different frequency points to be sure they fall with in a reasonable tolerance.
    RAG

14. rag

rag

Mar 24, 2003
    Robert A. Gallien, President Gallien-Krueger
    We pay very close attention to how the low end rolls off including amplitude and phase. How the amp behaves in this area is critical to how it sits in the mix on stage. The low end response is critical in satisfying the player and the guy running FOH. We are concerned with how the amplifier sits in the mix on stage not so much how it sounds in your living room.
    RAG

15. TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    So MIL-SPEC Resistors and Caps. There is more cost in that but you gain more consistency.

16. Love45

Love45

Dec 7, 2019
    Nashville
    I'm dying to get an 80s 800RB one day

17. chazsundance

chazsundance Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2011
    Spokane, WA
    I'm feeling pretty spoiled right now having the '87 (that's like NOS) at home, and the early 90s at the practice studio. I highly recommend getting one, even along side the newer stuff.

18. 1960jbass

1960jbass Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Berwick, PA
    Has anyone attached the feet to their Plex?? I just bought one from a fellow TB'er and there's nothing in the instructions on how to put them on.

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  19. I have done the same with pedals too!

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  20. FlyingV73

FlyingV73 Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2017
    U.S.A
    I'm going to try the New MB800 Fusion with the 2 of the full range Genzler Array 12" cabs. Anyone try a setup like that?
    The head will be here next week. I will report back..

alaskaleftybass and TinIndian like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021