Gallien Krueger Club. GK Rules !

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tunaman, Feb 20, 2014.

1. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois

+1!!!!!

That's the exact rig (800RB head with a SVT 810 cabinet) that was my main gigging set-up for 28 years!
    No matter what the job, size of stage, ect., it/I had it covered!

As a side note: I bought that 800RB new in 1984 (right after the SVT head toasted itself) sold the 800RB in 2012'ish, it was never in for any repairs and it's still going strong for the player I sold it to.
    (Wish I'd have kept it!)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  2. 9985

Mar 22, 2018
    My MB Fusion 500 is a practice/backup head, never used the XLR DI out on it until today, recording practice on a Zoom H8. I was surprised that the DI's pre/post switch appears to have no impact on the effects loop, which I'm not getting at all over the XLR. Signal passed fine, just dry. I have a 1x12 GK cabinet via speakon to speaker out of the MBF connected as well at the same time, getting the FX loop output clear as a day through the cabinet. Thoughts?

SwitchGear and alaskaleftybass like this.
  3. Snowglo

Snowglo Pro Aris et Focis

Nov 15, 2013
    Orygun
    U.S. Military endorsement since 1984
    Well GK folks, my Legacy 800 showed up today. Are GK watts more than other manufacturers watts?!?! Holy cow this thing packs a serious punch. Took me all of 2 minutes to find a sweet tone. It took me years to somewhat find the tone I was looking for my (now sold) Mesa D-800+. Rehearsal this Thursday, then an out show on the 21st. Can’t wait.

4. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    The Legacy series has a very powerful and legendary history. I think it's all the greatest elements of GK and I can hardly wait until I get mine. @rag has often stated that he believes in true accurate power measurements. I've found my GK amp heads are like steeds waiting to be released but even playing in a gymnasium I couldn't crank the MB500 past 2:00 with a full band and loud drummer. I have an MB200 and a DNA DNS112 400 watt cab and the pair could be used in nearly any club in town. Since the cab is a 4oHm cab the MB200 gets nice loud and growly. So yeah, GK watts will pretty much kick arse on most any other watts only in my opinion. That's why there's such a dedicated following for GK amps. Welcome to the club! :thumbsup:

5. TinIndian

TinIndian Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    I got my Legacy 500 about 6 weeks ago and it is amazing how much guts it has. I normally play a small to medium room without any PA support and Large or outdoor venues thru the PA. Thing is I am more than certain that I could use it in those larger venues without the PA as well. Now a large outdoor show would obviously be a different story.

Great heads!

bassdrummer, fgallien, DrMole and 3 others like this.
  6. lizardking837

lizardking837

Jan 28, 2009
    I wondered this too. My MB Fusion 800 through a 4 x 10 blows away my guitar player with 2 4 x 12s. My Legacy 500, running into my 8 ohm 2 x 12 is somehow even louder. Having both of them running clean and dirty reminded of standing behind the engine of a bulldozer while it was revving, in a good way :bassist:.

Both of my GKs are incredible machines. I couldn't be happier.

RevGroove, fgallien, DrMole and 4 others like this.
  7. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    I've owned or backlined most of GK's amp products over the last 30 + or so years. I have to agree that the Legacy pulls together some of their best elements and is definitely the state of the GK art IME/IMO. It's overdrive control set also allows you to dial up a number of RB-based overdriven sounds if that's your thing (though you'll still need pedals for the fuzzier stuff). I like to dial up my old "400RB set loud" sound for solos, for instance. Well-done!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021 at 1:40 PM
  8. FlyingV73

FlyingV73 Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2017
    U.S.A
    How do you like your Fusion 800? Is it the new one? I was upgrading my 400rb and id love to hear what you think compared to the Legacy..

landry.bass and Rich67 like this.
  9. Snowglo

Nov 15, 2013
    Orygun
    FWIW, I’ve only had my Legacy 800 for 2 days. OMG. Just pull the trigger. This is my first and only experience with GK, and I am extremely impressed. I like a little hair on a bright aggressive tone which the Legacy delivers in spades. So much so, that I’m going direct into the amp.....(after a Cali 76 comp). I will see how tomorrow’s rehearsal goes when I can move some air in a band setting, but my Darkglass VMTD and Omnicabsim my be in the classifieds soon. I have not ran without preamps in many, many years. Thanks again GK!

10. Snowglo

Nov 15, 2013
    Orygun
    Ooops, you were asking about the Fusion. Sorry. Well, still pull the trigger lol!

DrMole and FlyingV73 like this.
  11. Snowglo

Nov 15, 2013
    Orygun
    I believe it. I just have 1 of 2 of my Greenboy cabs at home, with the other at my drummers house. My 12/6 has never sounded and felt so alive and this is the 4th head in addition to a pre/power amp rig it’s seen. Tomorrow night I will be able to drive both the 12/6 and 15/6 during rehearsal. I can hardly stand the wait! I’m going to bury the guitarists for certain lol.

12. lizardking837

lizardking837

Jan 28, 2009
    I love my MB Fusion. I've played it extensively in the last year with no issues. The tone and flexibility is killer.

I don't think I can make a fair comparison to my Legacy for a few reasons. I just got my Legacy and I haven't had the chance to play it through my different cabs (both are at the rehearsal space), push the volume or dial in tones at volume. That said, using headphones and the DI into my laptop, I love the sound. It's not as "warm"/tubey as the Fusion (for obvious reasons), but it has its own voice. The Overdrive section is killer as well, it gives the amp a nice, solid state grind and fits the description that pops up around here of "not tube-like, yet still musical."

RevGroove, tindrum and FlyingV73 like this.
  13. FlyingV73

FlyingV73 Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2017
    U.S.A
    Thanks! I have been trying to figure out the way to go..

14. lizardking837

lizardking837

Jan 28, 2009
    To put it simply: If you want the GK grunt go with the Legacy, if you want the GK grunt with some additional tube tones, go with the Fusion.

I don't really consider one of mine better than the other, more like different flavors.

15. TinIndian

TinIndian Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    I watched a number of video comparisons (for what it's worth) and I came to pretty much that same conclusion. I thought they sounded very simliar but the Fusion had a little more warmth to it because of the tube section. Like you said not better or worse just a little different.

You really can't go wrong with either, or both!

16. Rich67

Rich67 Gold Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2019
    North of Austin, TX
    What I'm reading here is I cannot go one more minute and must order both. TB strikes again! :)

RevGroove, fgallien, kobass and 6 others like this.
  17. lizardking837

lizardking837

Jan 28, 2009
    I mean, that's why I have both :smug::bassist::hyper:

Rich67 and TinIndian like this.
  18. 9985

Mar 22, 2018
    Bump- anyone? I checked the output from the DI on my 700RB-II for comparison, and it passes the effects loop just fine, I cannot figure why the MBF doesn't.

19. rag

rag

Mar 24, 2003
    Robert A. Gallien, President Gallien-Krueger
    The early MB Fusion 500 had this issue and it was corrected early on. We can fix your unit if you want to send it back to us. Contact [email protected] to arrange an RA.
    RAG

20. 9985

Mar 22, 2018
    Thanks @rag! That kind of GK support is what keeps me a loyal customer!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021