Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gallien Krueger combo "shell" or light GK cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GallienUser, Feb 26, 2006.

1. GallienUser

GallienUser

Feb 26, 2006
    Hi guys!
    I am new to this forum (see my "Hi bass players" thread in the introduction forum). I have a GK 1001Rb2 which is a good amp but now, after about one year of owning it I'd rather had a GK combo. I think the horn Biamp system by GK is just great so I'd like to stick to GK with this idea: I'd like to turn my 1001 into a combo. The speaker combination doesn't even matter that much. So, do you know if GK sells "shells" that just need one of their heads to be inserted? Kind of like a rack with included speakers. Any ideas? I know that there is nothing like that on the GK website but I figured I'd ask anyway.

If this does not exist, do you think the SBXII cabs could handle my 1001? I heard that the SBX speakers tend to "fart out" on higher volume levels on the low B string. I definitely don't want this to happen. I was thinking of pairing a 2x10SBXII with a 212Neo cab in case a combo "hull" is not available. What do you think about that? Are there any guys here that have experience with 2x10SBXII cabs receiving that much power from a 1001? And do you think the SBX would be enough as a solo cab for smaller gigs?

I know, that's a lot of questions, but I appreciate every answer I get so, thank you in advance!
    GallienUser