Gallien Krueger combo "shell" or light GK cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GallienUser, Feb 26, 2006.

1. GallienUser

Feb 26, 2006
    Hi guys!
    I am new to this forum (see my "Hi bass players" thread in the introduction forum). I have a GK 1001Rb2 which is a good amp but now, after about one year of owning it I'd rather had a GK combo. I think the horn Biamp system by GK is just great so I'd like to stick to GK with this idea: I'd like to turn my 1001 into a combo. The speaker combination doesn't even matter that much. So, do you know if GK sells "shells" that just need one of their heads to be inserted? Kind of like a rack with included speakers. Any ideas? I know that there is nothing like that on the GK website but I figured I'd ask anyway.

If this does not exist, do you think the SBXII cabs could handle my 1001? I heard that the SBX speakers tend to "fart out" on higher volume levels on the low B string. I definitely don't want this to happen. I was thinking of pairing a 2x10SBXII with a 212Neo cab in case a combo "hull" is not available. What do you think about that? Are there any guys here that have experience with 2x10SBXII cabs receiving that much power from a 1001? And do you think the SBX would be enough as a solo cab for smaller gigs?

I know, that's a lot of questions, but I appreciate every answer I get so, thank you in advance!