Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gallien-Krueger Factory Tour

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by justBrian, Apr 13, 2004.

1. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    My wife and I went to Sacramento this past weekend. While there I took a road trip down to Stockton for a tour of the GK facility. WOW! What a great time. I got to meet our own Dan Elliott-- in fact he walked me around the plant.
    We started in the assembly room where the amps and cabs are put together and tested. There was this rack there where each amp is plugged in and run at full power for 2 hours! They do this with every amp! I was quite impressed. Each circuit (about 3000 of them) is tested 3 different times to ensure product reliability.

2. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    That WOULD be cool...

3. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    OK-- I got some pix of the new Neo line (neodynium that is) cabinets too. Not only do they look badass, they sound great. I got a few close-ups of the Neo112-- it sounds HUGE. It's clear and punchy with some serious low end.

4. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I left the specs at home on the Neo cabs. Maybe Dan will come by later and add to these.

5. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    They showed me the 8X10 too. You wanna talk balls-- this is it. It was just incredible.

6. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    OK--here's the Neo 1x12 on a Neo 1x15. This was an excellent sound, and the cabs are really light. Focused, but with the with the lowend response you can only get with a 1x15

*edit* I wanted to add that the Neo line will include the 1x12, 1x15, 2x12 and a 4x12.

7. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    NONO!NONO! Why did you have to show me the post of that 8x10!

~Patrick

8. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Besides showing me all of this stuff, I got to play through it too! They had a Musicman and a Zon-- I played 'em both through almost everything in the lab. It was very, very cool.

9. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    This was one of the coolest things I've ever done. As a bass player, it was great to go to the place where my amp was made and see just what it went through before I got it. It was also awesome to get to play through some really great gear. And it was really cool to hang around with some other bass players-- people who know what you're talking about. I want to say thanks to Dan for making me feel welcome at GK. He's a great guy. Also thanks to Geno for the slap lessons-- and yes, I have been practicing. ;) (Sorry I didn't make the show man. We didn't get back into Davis until midnight.) :cool:
    You guys rock.

10. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Oh yeah! It was just freakin' LOUD!!! What a great sound. And loud-- did I already say that?

11. I'd love to do factory tours, like you're in a cool six flags, with very good attractions :bassist:

12. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Yeah--that's it. ;)

13. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Very cool. I've worked for a bunch of manufacturers, and factory tours are really fascinating. Thanks for posting!

And if you ever get down around Orange County and want to see another factory, just drop me a line.

14. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Thanks for the invite Bob. :) I'll see if we can get down that way next time.

15. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Sounds like you had a good time. Thanks for showing me that 8x10. I can feel the GAS coming...
    Also, unless you have family/friends there, why would you want to go to Sacramento? I used to live there for ten years and I thought it was the ugliest and most boring city in California. The polution is horrible. However, where did you stay? Other than the G-K tour, did you do anything else interesting? The Zon factory is also in that area (sort of), so if you are interested, you could probably check that out next time you venture out to northern CA.

16. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Great Post, BD.

Thanks for sharing!

17. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    We lived in West Sac for about 8 years so we know the area too. We stayed with friends in Davis-- they have a horse ranch west of town. On Saturday, we took off for San Fancisco-- spent all day. We walked along the Embarcadero, then up Broadway to Columbus-- I had to go to the City Lights Bookstore. From there we hiked up to Coit Tower-- what a great view of the city. On or way back to the car we found a brewpub and had a couple of cold ones before heading back to Davis. Later that night we went over to The Palms and caught a Maria Muldaur show-- very cool.

So, where is the Zon factory? I'd like to visit there next time.