Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

gallien-krueger feed back plese

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassist286, Jan 21, 2003.

1. bassist286

bassist286

Nov 22, 2001
    rhode island
    i wnat to buy either a 1001rb or a 2001rb if any one owns any of theies please give me some feed back on anything. thanks

2. tonru

tonru

Mar 15, 2002
    hey,did you try a search?
    also check out Harmony Central reviews;they'd be found under guitar amps,as the site has no specific bass amp category.
    some have been accused of being snobs around here,but it's just that these questions pop up alot.tons of good information,and very knowledgable forumites.
    good luck.- ;)

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    i have a 1001 also. It rocks. I couldn't ask for more

4. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    I have a 1001RB but only because I couldn't afford a 2001RB at the time.

I can't think of anything bad to say about it.

5. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I currently own a 2001RB and previously owned a 1001RB.They are both great amps.They are both very punchy,articulate/fast and loud.They never get mushy and cut through at high volumes very well.It depends on what features and how much power you need.The new 1001RB puts out 700 watts @4 ohms and is a very straight forward and loud amp with a great tone.If you want 1080 watts,the ability to drive more cabs,a good distortion/OD channel,ability to mute the tweets at will,a tuning mute,great tone and you don't mind carrying a 40 lb. amp,get the 2001RB like I did.Either way you'll be happy.I am.

6. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have the 1001rb and I've been running it for over two years. It is a great head. The GK specs state that it's 18 lbs and puts out 540 watts at 4 ohms and 340 watts at 8 ohms. It's small, light weight, and does a great job with my two Eden 2-10XLT cabs.

The 2001rb will give you significantly more head room with more than double the weight.

While these heads won't rival a high-end preamp coupled with a class A power amp, both GK heads do a great job depending on your personal needs as far as head room and additional features.

A search of this forum for for "GK" or "gallien krueger" will yield more info for you to consider.

7. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    I have a 1001rb too. It's great:) 340/540w and a kick-ass tone. It works great for just about any gig. And it has a very good direct out for going to the house. I love mine:D

8. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I let a friend play through my 1001rb recently, and I cracked up when he asked "this sounds good, nice tone, does it have tubes?"

I've played through heads by SWR, Eden, and even high-end tube preamps coupled with great power amps. My buddy's comment says it all. GKs sound good, maybe not the bonafide "high-end preamp and class A power amp", but they do sound pretty good!

9. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Cantstandsya
    Did GK put out a new 1001RB? Any other info on it? Where/When are they available?

10. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Yes, the RB line has been reworked a bit. More power, more sound, same $$$. I've known for a while now but was sworn to secrecy until NAMM, so I'm assuming it's alright to talk about them now. The RBH cabs have also been reworked. They'll have a conventional box shape and more low end response. That's the changes in a nutshell. Wait until Trip is back and then ask him. He should be able to give you the skinny... later---

11. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Also, you won't see these new heads/cabs out for some time. It will probably be sometime in March that you'll see them first start to appear in stores.

12. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002

I'm about to buy a 400rb combo. Should I wait till march for the new cabs to come out?

13. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    The cab shape hasn't changed on the combos or the RBH series cabs.The RBS series now have a horn,are bi-ampable and are now called the SBX series.

14. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    should I wait for the 400RB???
    :confused:

a couple of months could mean the difference.

I was going to originally go for the 700RB but I tried it out and I thought the horns made me sound way too honky. I tried out the 400RB 210 and I was turning heads.

the only fuss that me and the 400RB got into is the amount of power for an add on cab.

SBX???:eek:
    what are they supposed to sound like?

are they going up in price?

15. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    The SBX sounds great and nothing is going up in price.

16. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Trip or Chennutts44

Do you guys have any details on the new 1001rb besides the power increase? Any preamp, size/weight differences etc. Thanks

17. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    trip!

do they sound more like the current 700RB or the 400RB?

are they still using the same speakers and what's the horn?

Also what's the power ratings?

18. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    I guess they canned the idea on the cabs then, but I'm just passing on what I heard from a certain someone... ;)

19. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    You guys ever play Epifani cabs? Did that horn sound honky? I'll let you ponder that one...

20. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    Across the board everything is 10db quieter. Hiss is almost non-existent. Tone is a bit deeper too. New look too. The SBX cabs blew my mind. I used those for my Bass Bash show. New Combos have more space in the cabs so the tone is deeper as well. I sold one at the show to a stick player who tried everything at the show and came back to the GK unit. I even told him to try EVERYTHING before he did the GK thing. Pretty cool...nice day for me.:)