Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gallien Krueger GK 150MBE Bass Combo Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fly, Sep 14, 2000.

1. Fly

Fly

Feb 18, 2000
    I'm considering a Gallien Krueger GK 150MBE Bass Combo Amp. Was wondering if anyone had experience with one of these. I have played through G/K amps for many years, but wonder about an amp this small and light. It seems like something important must be missing-hopefully not the sound. Any opinions???

2. I love my GK-150MBE, however it DID fail once with an intermittent fault. I contacted G&K, and although they weren't able to help me (well, I suppose I could have sent it back to them, but I would have been without it for a long time, and it might have got lost in transit), G&K did sent me a set of circuit diagrams (schematics) and I went to my local repairman, who not only fixed the amp (bad connection) but also did a number of recommended ECOs* which brought the amp up to spec. The performance of this tiny amp is incredible for one so small. It weighs only 24 lbs, and I've received many compliments on the its great sound. Most people are amazed when they see the size of it - er, um the amp that is... :>

- Wil

*Engineering Change Orders - most important to get an amp with these already done (great bargaining chip!), or get someone to do them - doing these ECOs will avoid some of the problems associated with these amps.

Hey, sorry it's so long-winded, but I hope you'll find it useful - Good Luck!

3. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I agree with Wil - sound and volume are amazing!!
    Of cause you can't compare it to a SVT w/8x10 cab...
    One thing about sound:
    IMHO it has a strong mid-hump at around 300-400Hz or so (due to cab design, the amp itself sounds wonderful).
    I dial that out with the EQ when I play at low volume, but run the EQ flat at loud rehearsals or gigs, because you need those mids to cut through anyway.

Concerning reliability I've heard both good and bad things on this and other forums, I've had no problems so far, but only have it for 5 months now.

Matthias

BTW: You can hook up a second cab (8Ohms) to get full amp power (it puts out 'only' 90W into the internal speaker) - I guess than you will have no problem at all being heard, unless you want to play in a real loud band (metal and the like)

[Edited by Matthias on 09-15-2000 at 05:08 AM]

4. jfsjbb

jfsjbb

Aug 29, 2000
    Fly,

if you have the chance to buy a gk MB combo, just do it! I bought mine more than 10 years ago, it never failed. The only thing that had to be done was to replace the handle with something a little sturdier. (That was after a couple of years filled with carrying and bouncing the amp around!)

The sound is just sweet, excellent amp even for a double bass or fretless. It has more than enough power for rehearsals with a big band, you can mount it onto a stand and bring it up to ear level.

You can't do anything wrong with that thing! :D :D :D :D :D

5. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    G-K did a great job here, nothing is missing, but you have to pay for this...

Just one more thought..
    Matthias

6. Fly

Fly

Feb 18, 2000
    Thanks for the insight guys. I play an Alembic fretless and a RIC that I bought many years ago. I usually play in small venues. I really don't need a lot of size, wattage, or extra weight, but the quality of the sound is important. Sounds like an amp worth trying out - now to find one near Orono, Maine!!!!!!

7. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    One word of caution. Check with your local repair man and see if he has ever worked on one. I owned a MB200 which is an earlier version of what you are thinking about buying. Simply replacing a speaker was a major pain in the butt. The whole amplifier had to be taken apart. I'm not the only one who has had this problem with them. I just walked in a local store last week and the repairman there was trying to replace the speaker and was having a big problem. Matter of fact the place that I bought mine from changed owners and the new owner refuses to work on them and he knows his stuff he used to work for Ampeg down in St.Louis so he's no beginer.

8. Eric M

Eric M

Aug 26, 2000
    I have one of the older versions, the 200MB. Picked it up used for $300 to use as a home practice amp. Best decision I ever made. Not only will it hold its own at a band rehearsal (provided your drummer can play low at rehearsal), but when my main amp was being repaired, I plugged it into a 2x15 cabinet at gigs and it sang. Great tone!

I highly recommend the purchase.

9. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    In such cases you can switch off the internal speaker and send all the power to an external cab. Very versatile thing...

Matthias

10. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    that is true, I have played mine, (when I had it) through other speaker cabs and it sounded great.

11. jfsjbb

jfsjbb

Aug 29, 2000
    Speaking of prices, I bought my GK 200 MB for app. 1000$ (brand new, more than 10 years ago in Germany). That seems a lot of money for what might be regarded as a practice amp.

At that time I had to work about 2-3 months go get 1000$.

Today my job pays a lot better. But: If i had to pay 2 months of work to get the GK200MB I would still buy it, no doubt about that.

That's how much I like that little thing.

12. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I would definitely not call it a practice amp, this is true professional bass gear!
    Of cause it is a great practice amp too, because it has got a stereo aux in and a headphone out - I really like that a lot because I can play along CD's or MD's in the middle of the night if I like.

Matthias

13. This amp has always been pretty highly regarded. I have the 200MB--the tragedy is that the input jack is all broken. Anybody know somebody in the Los Angeles area who can work on mine?
    funkyc

14. toms

toms

Aug 22, 2000
    G&K's have a good sound, alot of punch for a small package, however they are difficult to service. Several years ago someone brought one into my shop, he had let out the magic smoke(a little tech humor), anyway that amp was quite difficult to service. I had problems getting G&K to send info on this amp. I was able to fix the problem but after alot of head scratching.

Regarding a previous post, it's good to know G&K have changed their policy on field service.

toms

15. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I also have the GK 200MB. I really like it alot! I've had one problem that was when I blew the speaker about 11 years ago. It was a HUGE hassle to get repaired. I took it to a local shop and they did fix it, but had a difficult time getting the parts from GK.

The other thing is that I play a bass with a very hot output (18 volt EMGs) and the amp by itself cannot handle the lows if I boost them even the slightest bit. But, I have experimented by plugging it into an extension cabinet and that problem went away.

It has a really nice, warm sound. I don't know of too many amps out there that I'd like more, at least at this level of playing. Of course, my main rig is an EBS Fafner and 4x10...but, that's another story...