Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

gallien krueger GK 700RB II & GK 410SBX cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by matito, Oct 13, 2005.

1. i've found a good GK bass rig deal that i'm planning on trying out.
    i just thought i'd post, and get people's opinions on this head and cab.

anyone had any good or bad experience's with them?

thanks

2. Luke Sheridan

Luke Sheridan Commercial User

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I build guitars and sell them. Strings, too
    I can't comment on those GK cabs, as I only tried the 115 with a 700RB. Nice, but loose. I'm always skeptical about proprietary designs such as GK's biamp solution, or anything proprietary, FTM.
    Anyway, I just got a 1001RB with a Schroeder 410. It sounds fantastic. (The Schroeder is an entirely different thread.)
    What I can say about the GK is I thought it sounded great with lots of control. Then I got a DBX 160a on top of it. NOW it sounds Incredible. So much more focused and I can dial in more from my bass, rather than the head.
    Compare, compare. Buy.
    2 cents

3. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    GK rocks!

Well, their amps do anyway...and I hear that their cabs have improved dramatically.

Wich ones were you looking at?

:D

Joe.

4. 700RB II head & 410SBX cab

5. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Just checked out a 1001rbII and both the rbh and the
    sbx 4x10 boxes. Loved the rbh box, not so much the
    sbx. Big sound difference. Good head, but if you can't
    get the rbh, I wouldn't get the sbx. JMHO

6. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    The head you are looking at is awesome, I have one myself. I haven't heard either cab so I can't help you there but what B String said about the sbx is what I have heard from others also.

If you can get a great deal on both of them AND you like the tone from the cab I think you should get it. But if getting the head and possibly a better cab is an option I would go for that instead.

Ultimately though, if you like both the head & cab and the price, get them. YOU are the one that needs to be satisfied.

:D

Joe.

7. thanks for your opinion!

they do have the rbh on there website, so i'll try that out when i go to the store! :cool:

8. very true! i don't need a 4x10 cab though, so i'm thinking of looking at other brands for the cab, maybe just get a 1x15 or 2x10.
    thanks for your tips aswell!

9. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    The 410 sbx is a sealed box. Therefore it sounds quite different from most other 4x10s. I would characterize it as tight, and mid-focused. The lows are well defined but not nearly as abundant as from most ported 4x10s. I happen to like that but for a lot of people it might not cut it. If you like lots of low end you might have to pair it with a 15. I haven't heard the GK 15 sbx but understand that it is not ported and so would probably not sound like the 410 desribed above.

Sealed cabinets are not all that common. The Bergantino NV series and the ampeg 410he and 810he are the only other ones that come to mind.

10. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    I have a 115SBX, and it IS ported, although the port is in the back . . . .

- Tim

11. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    Sorry - that's what I meant. The 4x10 isn't ported but the 15 is ported so I wouldn't expect them to sound similar. They are probably meant to be complementary i.e. the 4x10 carries the mids and the 15 is all about the low end.

12. Vinpaul

Vinpaul

Aug 24, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hey thats the rig Im getting, just waiting another monthy for schroeder to arrive, will prob get the GK before then. How u finding it, what music u play?