Gallien-Krueger GMT-600B

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jongor, Aug 7, 2003.

1. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    I've got this GK that looked old when I bought it in '82. Back then I used it to drive a 2-15" Peavey Black widow cabinet, that thing cranked!

It's one of the first, or at least very old, bass amps made by GK.

It has this cool gritty, high, mid-high tone with controls that emphasize boosting or controling the high end of tone. I'd love to try a Rick throught it, probably would crank out some awesome 70's Chris Squier tones.

It also has a distortion knob, that has never worked. It also can carry a speaker load down to 2 ohms.

In it's history it's been used as a keyboard amp and to drive a PA!

I believe it's a '73, the serial number starts with 73, and the GK website, on the innovations page, says the line was introduced in '71.

Has anyone else ever seen one of these? Used one?
  2. ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Only seen pictures...crazy find man.:bassist:
  3. I acctually have one can't find much n em ... from what I have found there seriously ultra rare and one guy I taled to said GK acctually offered to buy it from him .. love the tone of this thing
  4. Blessing Sword

Blessing Sword

Dec 5, 2007
    I wonder why GK wanted to buy it from him. Maybe a higher up wanted one or maybe GK wanted to revive the line again or at least use some of the things from it for a new amp... Anyone have or can make some sound clips? I'm curious to hear this thing.
  5. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    I played through a 600B once, about ten years ago. More recently, I bought (then sold) a GMT 300B, which I believe to be similar, but with half the power. It's a nice head. It's one of those amplifiers that I wish I had bought when it was new -- could have saved me some trouble.

If I remember correctly, John Paul Jones had a 600B.

P.S. Perhaps Mr. Gallien could comment about this amplifier. He has been posting on the MB2 500 thread.
  6. rag

Mar 24, 2003
    Robert A. Gallien, President Gallien-Krueger
    You have the date right. You are also right about the artists. In fact a lot of artists from this period used this head. There were not many made in that we were a very small company then. Many of these were hand wired by me, all of them were turned on by me. I am looking for one for my museum.
  7. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

Wasn't JPJ from Led Zeppelin the first to use one of those amps?
  8. Blessing Sword

Blessing Sword

Dec 5, 2007
    So I was right about a higher up wanting one. Well, actually the highest up I guess. I wish you well in your search to find one of these amps for you museum.
  9. rag

Mar 24, 2003
    Robert A. Gallien, President Gallien-Krueger
    I'm not sure who was first but in those days it was a common sight on the concert stage, eventually replaced by the 800RB.
  10. You can't beat hand wired Robert Gallien.

OP, you found a gem.
  11. I would love for somethini owned to be in a museum of robert gallien I wish I had the fot switch for this head.. I thank you mr gallien for such a great head contact me further if you would like it would b an honor to talk with you
  12. Baz Cooper

Baz Cooper

Sep 7, 2009
    Hi Guys! I'm new to this forum but Love Old Gallien Krueger Bass amps and Old Gibson Thunderbirds! I just bought a GMT 600B last November. Sounded very good. Took it to my amp guy to have him check it out and clean it up. Said that someone had spilled something in it and had replaced a part of two. Well...that took 3 months and after that I picked it up, took it home and it sounded worse. Distorting, 1/2 power. I took it to another guy who also had it for about 4 months, dragged his ass and basically said that it would have to be totally rebuilt. I brought it home Friday, plugged it in and it sounded great again. Question...How can I get this properly repaired and restored that won't take 10 years to fix and cost me an arm and a leg. I live in the Chicago area. I am looking for another 600B if anyone has one. Up for sale is an Ampeg SVT II Pro rack mount all tube head and a 1070's SVT Cabinet.
  13. Prairie Dawg

Prairie Dawg

Jun 11, 2010
    I've gotten a commission to resurrect GMT 600B serial number 2769, and there's a bunch of toasted stuff on the power supply board.

Is there any chance that service information or a schematic is available? My friend has had this amp for a long time and is emotionally attached to it.

Thanks, all.
  14. Doogal123

Oct 14, 2009
    I used to own one back in 78, really strong head, and powerful fo r the time. Sun Coliseum and SVT were the only heads around with that kind of power. Used it back then with a Cerwin Vega B36 with an 18 horn and a front radiating 10, along with a 2x15 medium throw PA bin loaded with gauss woofers. It would hit the back of the club without the PA no problem. Great head. bought it and the CV new from Manny's in NYC.
  15. Doogal123

Oct 14, 2009
    BTW - the one I bought had a 'lifetime warranty' for the original owner, (which I was, got it at Manny's in NYC). Service later on (in the late 80's early 90's was denied by GK claiming I had to have my original receipt even though they had done service on it before in California (had it shipped back to them for repairs twice during it's lifetime)!

I took as bad record keeping on their part and a cop out (and maybe they didn't have techs that could fix it anymore).

I asked for the circuit diagrams so I could locate my own tech and get it fixed since it was 'not covered by the warranty'. They wouldn't give me the circuit diagrams either, and said they couldn't fix it themselves anymore. I thought, "great, that's it then for this head". I was sorry to have it end that way. I threw it in the trash, and moved on to other amps.

Maybe the two top guys didn't know this was how things worked in the lower levels of the company, but it's now come to light. Because of this history with them, I would never buy another one.