1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GALLIEN KRUEGER GT700RB head any good for death metal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BrutalPigeon, Apr 13, 2010.

1. BrutalPigeon

BrutalPigeon

Mar 21, 2010
    Hello!

I'm planning to get GK GT700RB head this summer, now i have 4x10' Ashdown box and Hartke HA2500. And i really need more power. Box can hadle 450watts by factory info.

Soooo, is this GT700RB any good for metal? I like drived sound, with lots of lows and highs.

Thank you!

Bye

2. The Lowe Down

The Lowe Down

Feb 28, 2010
    Isanti, MN
    I like mine a ton, but don't play death metal. There is a 1001RB on the classifieds right now. It is beefier than the 700 with all the same functionality and sound. It has a distinctive "growl" sound to it when you crank up the boost. If I hadn't bought my 700, I would be jumping on the 1001, it is a good deal if it is in good condition.

3. rag

rag

Mar 24, 2003
    Robert A. Gallien, President Gallien-Krueger

Dude!!!

aigman likes this.

4. To be honest, I think the 700RB is easily the most underrated amp in the industry. I have the first series, so I'm short 100W from the newer models, but you can't beat the tone. This amp defines grind. I play in everything from punk to reggae to blues to thrash to modern country, and this handles everything: from crystal clear upper register parts to chunky low C# jamming. It also sounds great with my Music Man Stingray 5.

It's aggressive, it's punchy, and it brings you out in front of the mix while still allowing you to hold down the low end. I don't play much death metal, but I am into metalcore and speed metal and it does a fine job there. It also takes pedals nicely (with a great effects loop) so if you want some extra dirt, hook up an EHX Bass Muff or Boss ODB.

5. +1
    errr....just how many types of metal are there? (showing my age :))

6. Anywho... yes. The 700rb will be awesome.

I've use the 400rb in an ampient/proggy black metal band and a death/thrash band... the GK tone is tremendous.

7. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    I have had the 800rb, the 700rb, the 1001rb, and the 1001rb mkII.... And been always very very and might i ad another VERY Happy with All Of the heads!!!.... I will have to say like sooo many other people on here the GK Heads Are by far the loudest Head for their Rating of any head i have played... Right now i am using the 1001rb Mk II with an 810 stack....And wow it makes most 1000 watt amps out there shake with fear!!!... everyone that has heard it has Loved it and wanted to rob,pillage and plunder it From Me!!! The 700 is an awesome head... i just use the 1001 even though i may not need all that power most the time, Atleast I got it When and if i need it...It's easier to turn down i find then to turn up an amp that is at the max ;) Best of luck Mate Will Not regret it in the least Bit!!! When I die in 50 or hopefully more years from now. My Head is getting buried With me... LOL.. Yes I am Die Hard GK Heads Fan!!!

8. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    HA!!!