Gallien Krueger Head & Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stinky_UK, Feb 17, 2005.

1. stinky_UK

Feb 3, 2005
    Hi just bought a new 700 RBHII along with a used RBH115 cab. On the cab, the tweeter is very noisy (hiss), it seems to work fine and can be rolled off via the attenuator so its quiet. Is this normal or is it faulty? I have a few days left to return it if faulty so any help appreciated.

Also, i never got a bi-amp speakon cable with the head as they are now shipped with cabs. I never got one with my used cab though. Will any generic 4 pole speakon cable do or will only the GK one work to bi-amp? i want to try this but the GK cable is double the price here in the UK of a 'ordinary' 4pole speakon cable?
    Oh one other thing, what do people do with the head? Do they rack mount it or keep/transport it another way? It looks so nice i want to keep it pristine! :p

Many thanks.
  2. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Hey man, you need a specially wired cable, I believe it has to be +2/-2 but don't quote me on that. Email GK and ask them what it has to be wired as but no standard cable will work for this application. Good call on the head and cab though, GK rocks.
  3. stinky_UK

Feb 3, 2005
    I am very impressed by what i heard playing around with yesterday. its better than the ampeg i had and i am liking it more than my all valve marshall VBA rig i had to sell due to space/divorce! Love the fact its so small! I have a feeling i may need a couple of tens though but my gig next week will confirm that, or not! Then the need may be want!!! Ok i'll ask GK about the speakon thing! How do you keep the heads - rack (but that wil increase the size somewhat, especially if you have to leave the fan area open so you need at least a 3 rack case!?
  4. Very good call on the head and cab, indeed. I got my 1001-RBII and 410RBH rig some months ago and it sure rocks.

The tweeter does produce quite some hiss at high settings, but I guess that's normal for tweeters (?... haven't had much experience with this). Depending on your sound-preferences, the tweeter-high-cut decreases hiss significantly.
    Another thing I've found is that the mute-switch produces an audible "pop" when pressed. Does it do that on your head? I'm not sure if this is normal...

I'm not sure about the speakon cable. I would guess any 4-conductor cable will work, but as Ralphdaddy said, better mail/call GK about that.

I mounted the head in a 3-space rack. The manual says to keep at least 1/2" free space above the unit, so you'll be fine with one empty rack-space.
    GK heads seem solidly built and a rack does add some to the weight and the size of the rig, but I still feel a lot safer this way.
  5. stinky_UK

Feb 3, 2005
    thanks. i shall try the mute switch tonight and report back!!