1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gallien krueger mb150 combo w/ power amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassist22, Apr 24, 2010.

1. bassist22

bassist22

Mar 16, 2007
    Hi

I'm thinking about getting a gk mb150 combo, only problem being it isn't as loud as I'd want it to be. Can I get say a Stewart power amp and make the gk combo louder?

Thanks

2. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    You can, but you'll also need more speakers. :)

Have you tried just hooking up another cab to it? It does get quite a bit louder by just adding another 8 ohm cab.

3. bassist22

bassist22

Mar 16, 2007
    Hmmm not yet, I'm on the fence as to whether I should purchase the gk mb150.... So there are no mods you can make or anything?

4. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    The power section of this amp is pretty beefy and does a decent job of powering a larger cabinet. You would need a bigger cabinet before you'd need a power amp to get more volume.

5. ric stave

ric stave

May 6, 2006
    Buffalo, NY
    I have one, and the thing rocks when you plug it into another cab - I've used it with a 1-15 extension, and it really opens up.

But no, you can't really change the internal power amp - it is what it is.

6. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    At one time, I had one with and used it to power a hartke 410. I did these for years (in the 90s) with an R&B band

7. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    why not just get an mbx to go with the combo?

8. +1 to the above. Adding a full range 112 to that combo results in a very nice, warm, full tone. That combo with, for example, the little GK Neo112 should be good enough for a moderate volume gig, and will look and sound great.

One word of warning to the OP. For some reason, many of the MB150's have their internal speaker wired 'backwards' (i.e., the positive wire attached to ground and vice versa). This is not an issue when using the combo without an extension speaker. However, if you have a unit that is wired backwards, when you hook up an extension cab, the speakers will be out of phase.

This is easy to identify, since the volume and the low end of the combo will actually decrease when you add an extension speaker that is 'out of phase'. It's a very easy fix if this happens to you. Just switch the wires on one of the speakers and you will be good to go.

9. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I own one and love it for its sound and light weight. As the others have said, try it with an extension cab-that might just do the trick. Not much point in the MB150 though if the extension cabinet is big and heavy. I'd look for a lightweight 8 ohm 1x12 that's more efficient than the matching extension cab that GK sells for this combo. The matching cab does increase the volume some and is ridiculously light, but there are other cabs much more efficient. Unfortunately they're also heavier.

10. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 to all the above suggestions. Alot of players think that adding more watts will get them more volume, when in fact, adding more speakers is the best way to get louder.

11. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    I owned both the MB150S and MB extension cab. The MB150 is a terrific little combo. Both together sound great!

12. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I have the older MB200 and if I hook it up to a little Epi UL110, it really gets loud and full. It also sounds great hooked up to a Bag End S15-D. :D