1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gallien Krueger MB150 differences between the series

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ValmiX, Sep 19, 2008.

1. ValmiX

ValmiX

Jan 27, 2003
    Hi everyone, i need a nice small combo for some "light" gigs with the upright and why not, with the electric bass.

I was looking for the MB150 (second hand) s or e, doesn't matter.

I noticed that there are different series of this combo. Do you know the differences between the series?

I found this one (2nd series???)

[​IMG]

(i've also found a MB200, is it better than the MB150?)

thanks and ciao

Matteo

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Your older one looks axactly like mine which I bought new 6 months ago. I'm not positive but I think the different series just represent some upgrades. The brand new one I think is designed to run cooler and I think a little quieter (although preamp noise was already pretty low). Mine is the S model combo and I've compared it with an older one in a store. I can't hear any difference in sound between mine and the older series now that the speaker in mine has loosened up from being played a while.

The 200 is an older amp, that predated the 150. I believe it has less power and slightly less bass response. On my new one there is a switch to give you the option of getting the MB200 tone.

It's a great little amp, the 150. In fact, I was just practicing for the last hour and really enjoying the sound. My P bass sounded just like a P bass should and my Artcore had its own distinctive sound, all without changing the tone controls.

3. The original 'series I' from 15+ years ago is quite different (diffent amp design, etc.). The Series III seems to be just a minor tweak on the Series II. As long as the look of the amp is like your picture (i.e., not a series I), then you are good to go.

K