Gallien-Krueger MB150

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by liverbird, Jan 17, 2004.

1. liverbird

Mar 22, 2003
    I'm thinking about buying a GK MB150. I do mostly theatre stuff in a pit. So I would use the amp as a monitor. Can that small thing cut it with a drummer in a rock band setting?

What would be good alternatives? Any input welcome!

2. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I have had an MB150 for 10+years. I have only had one problem with it.(imput jack) Other than that, it has been a great practice/small gig amp.

As far as being loud enough. It depends on the band setting.(volume, esp drummer) For a theater pit monitor, I think it would do fine. You can also run a larger cab off of it. I use to sometimes run a 4x10 off of mine. But the last several years, I have only used it for upright bass or practice.

hope this helps
  3. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    This amp is great for low volume jazz gigs or as a practice amp, but you'll be very disappointed in any other situation. I've got better results with a Polytone Mini Brute than the MB150. If you find the head version of the MB150 and put it with a better cab that'll probably do the job.

Alternatives depends on your budget. The EA Wizzy Combo is supposed to be an excellent amp, but my favorite small rig is the Bergantino HT112 with a Acoustic Image Clarus head. For the money it's the best sounding small rig there is. The head only weighs 5 lbs and the cab is very easy to handle. The only that would make it better would be a Walter Woods.

Also the EA Wizzy extension cab with the Clarus may work well, very light weight.
  4. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I did use my MB150 for band practice with a (pop) rock band, but only at very moderate volume - if you don't dial in too much bass it can go surprisingly loud for it's size.
    Together with an extension cab (112 in my case) the results are much better and I actually get a very good sound and we can play at reasonable volume - even the drummer is happy.

Encouraged by these results I tried this setup in my other band which is louder and where I usually play a 400W amp w/ 212 cab. Well, you could not even hear the bass, it was completely drowned out, no chance at all.

Bottom line: As always, it depends...

5. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I've got one - At 24 lbs., it's suprising loud and has good EQ (4 band) capabilities.

It's probably one of the loudest "practice amps" out there, but it will get lost in the mix pretty quickly with a drummer unless (s)he's using brushes.

If you can place the amp close to your noggin, and you truly don't need others to hear you via your amp, it would work very nicely. Note the option stand which you could use to place the thing conveniently and off the floor.

I tell you what - the new Mesa Scout would be worth checking out. It's got serious volume and sound great, but it's twice the weight.
  6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I used its brother, the older 200MB for awhile for live blues band coverage when my GK 2000RB was taking a "lengthy" warranty trip. Alone it can't cover a moderately loud rehearsal, but I plugged it into a 2x15 live, and it covered the loud gig fine, though it got pretty darned hot.

Well built, to say the least. Great for a practice amp, would probably cover as a theater pit monitor just fine. If not, adding a 2x10 or a 1x12 would definitely do the trick for you.