Gallien-krueger MB150s

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by guitaron, Jun 4, 2003.

1. Here is a few questions about this amp;

Should I use the "direct out" or the "line out" to plug in the PA when I need more volume?

Do most of you use the "limiter level" and if so,
    what will the controle(volume)do?

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The direct out is best as it bypasses all the amp controls. If you tweak the dials during the gig it does NOT change what's heard through the PA.

The limiter control lets you adjust when the limiter kicks in. It's mostly useful at high volumes where you get amp clipping on the attack of your notes. I used to leave it OFF because it was fussy to set.
  3. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Hated it and sold it, but the direct out is good, I had the 150mbs, but would recommend the mbe over it.

I always would use the direct instead of the line out
  4. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I use the mb150e, and the "line out" is my preferred method. I want to send to the PA what I hear out of the amp's speaker. I recently got into a fight with a sound guy, he wanted direct from the pickup, and I wanted him to mike the amp. I won, and it sounded fine. Direct just annoys me, and maybe I'm stupid. But, this sound guy was terrible. He couldn't mix cake batter...

The limiter control- when it's turned on, the knob is reversed. That is, when the knob is turned all the way up, the limiter isn't limiting much. So, 10 o'clock works for me. It does change the sound, but I slap, and it helps even out the whole thing.
  5. Thanks for the comments!

I really like this amp with my DB. Light and easy to carry. I find the EQ very efficient and the line out is probably a good way to control
    the volume in the PA.

Is it the gain or the master volume (or both) that will change the sound in the PA?
    Also adding an ext.cabinet can make a real difference in the sound. At the last gig, I put
    the amp on a chair as usual but left the
    (Gallien mbx12) on the floor. A lot more bottom in the sound.
  6. sean p

sean p

Mar 7, 2002
    eugene, oregon

i believe that changing the 'volume' will have no effect on the signal to the line out, but that changing the 'output' will. check your manual to be sure - it addresses this specifically.

sean p
  7. The limiter does change the sound.
    I now like it better when it's on with the electric bass (fretless jazz style)
    I will try with the DB on a gig next. It's very strange that the knob works up side down with the limiter!!!

PS; can someone explain why there is a black dot on the enveloppe beside my thread

8. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    The black dot indicates a thread in which you have "materially participated". And speaking of materially participating, it would be helpful if you could fill out as much of your profile as you can stomach. :)
  9. Has anyone else experience a chronic failure of the input/socket/plug receptacle on this model amp?

It works fine for a while.
    Then,without my changing anything or touching anything, the amp decides to emit static, or no sound whatsoever

The power light stays a solid green. Sometimes changing the power cord restores order, but even a new cord doesn't eliminate the problem for long.

I've had it in the shop, replaced cables often, and sprayed cable tips with cleaner...and eventually, the problem returns:
    static or total failure of signal.

And of course, it always happens in the middle of a gig.

Vaguely recall a discussion of this issue years ago (of course, this amp was built over a decade ago, which is about when my memory began to flail). There was talk that GK used a plastic clip to hold the plug grabber in place.

Would like to keep the amp, but not worry about this recurring problem.

Your guidance is appreciated.
  10. Jefenator

Aug 22, 2008
    Sorry to hear about your issue.

I got mine used at a pawn shop and have been abusing it mercilessly for over a decade. No problems yet.

Maybe a good tech can help you figure out what's going on.
  11. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    Mine had a power supply problem that behaved like that. Usually I could wait it out, but eventually sent it back to the factory for repair. For $200 (plus shipping), I got a new power supply and a new cabinet.
  12. That sounds like a plan.

If GK is willing to fix the problem and also upgrade the innards, then it'll be worth the 2 Ben Franklins (plus shipping) and end up with essentially a new amp.

(I keep taking it in here locally and the problem keeps recurring while the components keeping getting older. I must've spent "a Wreath of Franklins" on her already....)
  13. tornadobass

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Note that a parallel thread just popped up on this topic here...
  14. kurt

Mar 15, 2004
    Edmonton A.B. Canada
    I have a GK mb150s and every soundguy I've worked with says the xlr out is way to hot so I have to turn the gain down on my fishman preamp before it gets to the amp. I've also noticed that when you plug the xlr in, the volume coming out of the speaker drops quite a bit, annoying.
  15. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    DO you have the Platinum Pro? If so why don't you just send an XLR from there?
  16. kurt

Mar 15, 2004
    Edmonton A.B. Canada
    Yeah, but I use a tuner pedal EQ pedal and a reverb pedal. I tried putting the platinum after the pedals in the signal chain and it sounded kind of funny. Would be good if it had an effects loop. What I need is a Preamp/D.I. which supplies 9v phantom power, footswitchable eq, HPF, notch filter, phase shifter, Built in reverb and tuner, ground lift, and maybe a bottle opener.

With the acoustic image heads can you send the HPF/notch filter to the board without giving them your EQ? I think it would be good to send the sound guy the signal running the High pass filter but not the EQ so you can EQ your cab for the stage. I like to roll off a lot of bass and boost the highs a bit on stage so i can hear my intonation, I usually hear a lot of bottom from the mains anyway. I wouldn't want that sound coming out of the front though.
  17. tornadobass

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    I'm doing well sending the Direct Out (pre-EQ) of my MB150E for recording (versus the Balanced Line Out that's post-EQ).

I probably doesn't hurt that the signal is going into an Avalon preamp/compressor before hitting the recorder input :)

On the AI Clarus, I'm pretty sure that it's all or nothing on the get EQ and HPF...everything up to the master...or just the input level and out. A decent sound board should have its own HPF filter button available.
  18. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    The AI has a pre or post eq switch.
  19. BCAlbin

Dec 7, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Sounds eerily similar to the problem I was having (see:"Props to GK Service" thread). I'd send it back to GK and see what they can find.
  20. bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    kurt, I think tornader's right. If you want to send the HPF/notch, they're gonna get the EQ too. But like he said, maybe they can inject a high pass at the board.