Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GALLIEN KRUEGER MB200 as a PREAMP?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by capalito, Sep 1, 2003.

1. capalito

capalito ----

Dec 27, 2002
    I am using a GK MB200 with my Tobias Basic 5 pre-Gibson. This combination sounds great for jazz gigs.
    I gave been trying to find a combination of cabinet/PA or amp head with similar a sound for louder gigs. I have tried Epifani 112+Stewart 1.2/Alembic F1X (It was to trebely and lacked the definition of the GK. I also tried the Walter woods amp with the Epifani. It was also too trebely(even with the tweeter off) and my bandmates told me to bring back the GKMB200.
    I tried my Epifani 8ohm cab with A GK400RB (125 watts) and it was not enough power for the Epifani. Nick Epifani recommends at least 500 watts.
    So now I don't know what to do. I see two alternatives. A)I read that someone was using the small GKMB200 as a preamp. Any thoughts about this? Could I use my Epifani (8ohm)112 with a PA and use the GK only as a Preamp? Could I damage my MB200? I love this little amp so much that I dont want to hurt it (LOL).
    B) I could use the GK 400RB that sounds almost as good as the MB200 (as far as tone) and get the right cabinet for it, it'd have to be an older 410 or a 115 maybe that would not suck so much power. Maybe the Nemesis 410. (lighter than the Hartke). The problem with the new cabs like Epifani and Aguilar is that they are meant to be used with high power amps (over 500w) The GK400RB is 200w(4ohm) and 125w(8ohm). This map head does not even tickle those speakers.
    PLEASE SOME ADVICE, THANK YOU
    -Juan
    juanprivera@hotmail.com

2. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I used to have a 200MB, they're great little amps.

Plan A will be the loudest. Use the fx out or line out to feed the power amp. I'd probably use the XLR out.

You could also get a more efficient 8 ohm cab to use as an extension speaker. I used a 1x15 w/ a nice JBL in it (sorry I forget the model #) and it did a good job.

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    200MB...nice sounding amps! Mine's for sale, btw...

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I love that little amp. I used to have a 200MB, and when my defective-as-hell 2000RB was back at GK for many months awaiting warranty repair, I used my 200MB at gigs, just plugged it through my 2x15 cab, and I was off. It would get hot as a campfire, but it kept pushing and sounded great.

If you really dig its preamp tone, consider going from the XLR out into a separate power amp, then into your favorite speakers. Should work fine.

5. You could get a GK 210SBX or 410SBX cabinet to go with your 400RB or as an extention cabinet for the 200MB. We also have the 112MBX that is essentially the same as the MB150 without the head. There's another option. The GK MB150 with an extension cabinet will put out 150 watts and has a much better preamp section than the 200MB.

6. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Les Claypool uses one for his NS designs electric standup, but he has disconected the speaker and runs the preamp out to the house. If its good for les, its good for anyone...

Alex

7. It has a button on the back that will turn off the internal speaker. You don't have to go to the trouble of disconnecting the speaker.

8. capalito

capalito ----

Dec 27, 2002
    OK, I have decided to get a Stewart World 1.2 (700w) PA and use it with an old Gallien Krueger 200RCB bass amp head (same as the small MB200 old combo but without the speaker) and use it as a preamp. This combination sounds really good with my 8 ohm Epifani 112.
    My only question is:
    Can I really use an amp head like the GK as a preamp?
    I mean, I will not be connecting any speakers directly to the GK so I could damage the GK, right? I always knew that if you use an amp without connecting the speaker you will blow the amp.
    ADVICE PLEASE
    -Juan
    juanprivera@hotmail.com

9. That's only true of tube amps. With a solid state amp like the GK 200RCB, there is no risk.

10. capalito

capalito ----

Dec 27, 2002
    Thanks a lot guys for all your insight.
    I will post again when I put my new bass rig together.
    -Capalito