1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gallien Krueger MB200 hum/chorus problems?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by EthanTheHeathen, Mar 23, 2009.

1. I recently bought a GK MB200 combo. It's old but works and sounds great. A couple possible issues though: As soon as I plug it in I can hear it humming, even before I turn it on. Anyone know what this could be or if it's the beginning of a problem? My father in law (who knows nothing about bass amps) thought it might be a problem with the power supply in the amp, or just that this amp has a loud power supply.

Secondly, the chorus effect doesn't seem to do much at all. Is this effect REALLY subtle (I can hear just a slight difference in tone), or is mine broken?

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    East Bay, CA
    Hi Ethan. I've had two 200MBs and they both hum when plugged in, even with the power off. I was told by a GK dealer that that's just the way the transformer works on these amps.

Chorus effect should be noticeable--it's thick, rich, and swirly in a very '80s way.

3. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I had that same issue with my old faithful 200mb. It had to
    be sent in to GK for another issue, but while it was there,
    they fixed the hum. I think the tech said something about
    biasing the amp. (I think) Bottom line....its fixable.

4. Thanks for the input, guys. You think it's worth fixing the chorus? Sounds like it would be pretty cool . . .