1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gallien Krueger MB212 - reliability?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Mar 4, 2010.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I'm in the market for a powerful but lightweight amp. I've been comparing the Carvin BR515N with the GK MB212. The Carvin has many more features, is made in the US, and the head is removable - but it weighs 52 lbs. The GK is made in China, has a simpler preamp (not necessarily a bad thing), and it can only be used as a combo amp - but it weighs 39 lbs.

I think I'd prefer the Carvin, but my concern is that they've had a lot of BX500 heads in these combos fail.

How's the reliability on the MB212? I know it's new but are you folks hearing of them fail?

2. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Anybody?

3. Sparkdog

Sparkdog Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2006
    Burbank, CA
    A couple of things to consider:

1. The Carvin BX500 had some issues when they were first released (like most everything else that's electronic) but you'll probably find that's all been sorted out. I base this on the fact that my friend is the manager of the Hollywood store and he gets firsthand knowledge about what's working and what's coming back for repair or replacement.

I bought a BX500 about 6 months after they came out (as I do with ALL things electronic for the reason noted above) and it's been flawless.

2. The GK MB212 does not exist. If you don't believe me just try to buy one, anywhere. I did, for months after they were announced. Finally gave up.

Happy hunting.

4. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    As far as I know there are guys on TB that have MB212's. They're out of stock at GC, Musician's Friend, and Music123.com, but they've got them at Amazon.com.

Good to hear that you've heard of and have had success with an BX500, though! That's encouraging!

5. Sparkdog

Sep 18, 2006
    Burbank, CA
    Amazon doesn't have them either. They will take an order, but tell you it's out of stock and "usually ships within 3 - 6 weeks".

GK apparently released a batch of these after they were announced and has yet to ever ship any more after that.

I don't know what the problem is, but advertising a product that is unavailable is a bit bogus if you ask me.

Too bad...sounds like a winner.

6. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Well, that settles it - looks like it's the BR515N that I'm getting. I guess I could get one of the MB210's, though...

7. Sparkdog

Sep 18, 2006
    Burbank, CA
    Here in LA, GC has the MB210 and once in a while the MB115.

The MB212 and MB112 are both magical fairy amps that only exist in dreams!

:)

8. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Pixy dust and all that...

9. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    I hugged a MB212 in the Lewisville, TX GC on Jan 2nd of this year. I say i hugged it because it was sitting on top of another cab and I wanted to see how light it really was so i bear-hugged it and picked it up. I couldn't believe how light it was. i got to lift the MB210 in the N Houston GC last week. At only 33 lbs it was unbelievably light.

10. Govier966

Govier966

Apr 28, 2009
    New York
    The microbass series is a great idea but i would not consider it reliable one died on me in GC after 2 minutes of joy through a goldline 115 and 2x10

11. rag

rag

Mar 24, 2003
    Robert A. Gallien, President Gallien-Krueger
    The MB combos are far more popular than we were prepared for. We are shipping most back orders next week on the MB115, MB210 and MB212.
    Bob

12. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    Hi Bob,

What about the MB112 any confirmed ship date,
    looking foreward to this one.:)

13. Sooooo.... Any word on the reliability of the MB212?? I'm reading both praises and horror stories on the web... Some people returning their MB212 3 times till they get one that works or doesn't rattle.

Would love to purchase one of these this week but am scared about the reviews...

Bob, any chance you'd share some RMA data with us?? (Yeah, I know, I'm crazy)

I've been a GK user for ~25 years and love the stuff...

Thanks! Willy

14. PSPookie

PSPookie Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    Honestly, I don't think the MB212 has been market long enough to get any sort of idea about reliability.

I would expect that initial quality is on-par with GKs other products once you get the bugs associated with the initial roll-out sorted.

15. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    I had one that rattled, and instead of taking it back, i took it to a local authorized service center first. I contacted GK and they were ready to send me a UPS label so I could ship it to them for repair, but I felt that I could at least check locally first. It turned out to be a really easy fix as it was just missing a few screws in the back.

I know that it sucks to have to get your new amp repaired, but given GK customer support, their track record and Bob's presence on this forum, I felt that I really didn't have anything to worry about as I knew one way or another the issue would be resolved.

I am in the praise category.

16. Sparkdog

Sep 18, 2006
    Burbank, CA
    I don't know if anyone is still following this thread, but under the heading of "credit where credit is due" I will update and say that I finally managed to find an MB212 (in stock at Musicians Friend) and I am mighty glad I did.

It's everything I had hoped for and then some. Tone, volume, and low end for days in a compact, lightweight package.

I sold my BX500 and 210 neo cab because it was too redundant with the GK, plus the GK is much lighter and much easier to dial in for me. I also sold my 410 cab because I honestly couldn't hear much of a difference output-wise between that and the 2x12's in the combo (I know someone will chime in and tell me how much more powerful the 410 "should" be, but I hear what I hear)

The MB212 now covers all my indoor gigs and I've yet to really push it even when it gets loud. I've used it outdoors too with good results, but you lose so much bass outdoors I now have a Schroeder BMF 412 powered by a Carvin B1500 for those gigs (MONSTER rig). That obviously is much louder than the GK, but totally overkill in small-medium clubs.

As far as reliability, only time will tell, but I have probably 15 gigs under my belt with this combo and no issues at all so far.

I hope this helps.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2020