1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gallien-Krueger MB212 Reliability

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Blade3dge, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Blade3dge

Blade3dge

May 19, 2009
    Thanks guys :)

2. Blade3dge

Blade3dge

May 19, 2009
    Also it's been a while since the original release, is there a chance that the issues may have been fixed?

3. miketallica315

miketallica315

Aug 16, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I haven't played or owned the 212 but I do own the 210 and the 115MBE cab and I haven't really had any problems with it. The hardest part is learning G-K's EQ as this is my first Gallien amp. My band plays pretty loud and it cuts through just fine and thus far has seemed to hold up fairly well. I would say that it would be a good purchase for you. I fell in love with mine once I tried it out at the store and am still in love with it today. If you go to their website somebody posted a review of the entire line. http://www.gallien-krueger.com/reviews/GK MB Series Combos.pdf

4. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I use an MB112 for all of my upright gigs. Never had even one issue with reliability. Its performed perfectly, and paid for itself many times over!

5. Blade3dge

Blade3dge

May 19, 2009
    But what do we think about the used ones from Musiciansfriend? Do they resell faulty products or send them back to the manufacturer? There is a surprising amount of used ones for sale.

6. nanookofnj

nanookofnj

Oct 21, 2010
    I bought a new MB212 a little more then a year ago. I absolutely love it and have had no problems to date using it regularly.

They appear to be $559 and change used from MF. IMO, for less then $100 more (I negotiated with RMC Audio)you can buy new and have a one year warranty from GK should anything happen to it rather then the 45 days you'd get rolling the dice used from MF.

7. Blade3dge

Blade3dge

May 19, 2009
    Being Australian limits what I can get from MF to used gear, locally the cheapest I could buy one is for around $1300 (yeowch). I'm a huge believer in importing to save money but it also means I need to run all my big buys past talkbass haha.

8. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    They sell so many units for GK that what seems like a lot of used ones really isn’t, percentage-wise.
    GK has a sound that isn’t for everybody. I like it and find it quite simple to get a variety of tones.

9. miketallica315

miketallica315

Aug 16, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I do not believe that they would accept, and sell a faulty unit. Guitar Center (at least here in Toledo) goes over every inch of a used piece before they put it on the floor, or even accept it as a trade for that matter. I truly believe that if you pick up a used piece from musician's friend (whom I believe is owned by Guitar Center) it would be a good unit. I would encourage you to maybe possibly get the extra insurance/warranty through MF if they happen to offer one. I think that you should be ok.

10. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    MF lists there used/returns with varying conditions. The lower condition ratings could require repair but they tell you that in the description, I bought a bass from them once that was a return and they said it was in "B" condition, "similiar to what you might find on the wall in a music store with light scratches". Well I got it and I'll be damned if I can find any scratches on it anywhere. Just make sure you read what the codes say.

11. miketallica315

miketallica315

Aug 16, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    +1 This is true. I have heard that if an individual returns an item that they bought new that wasn't defective, maybe returning it because they realized they truly couldn't afford it it, MF automatically puts it as B stock. This happened to me with my Warwick Corvette Standard Active 5 string. I still can't find any blemishes in it and I have had it since late August of 2011! I really think that if you buy the used model you will like it. Like he said before, make sure to clearly read its condition.

12. miketallica315

miketallica315

Aug 16, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I wanted to see for myself, so I just looked. These seem to be gently used, being only defective in their appearance. When are you looking to make your purchase?

13. miketallica315

miketallica315

Aug 16, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    If you go to the website and find the MB212 and click used, it will open up a menu for you to actually see the item listed. It gives photos that are specific to that actual amplifier. If you look even closer it states any problems that a particular amplifier may have. I looked pretty close and the only thing that I was able to find were simply cosmetic features. I still would recommend getting the extra insurance/warranty through MF just to cover your butt. You wouldn't buy a car or house without having it insured....

14. Blade3dge

Blade3dge

May 19, 2009
    I was hoping this was the case but the question was worth asking, thanks :)

15. nanookofnj

nanookofnj

Oct 21, 2010
    I know the OP is from Austrailia so this may be a moot point for him, but if someone in the US is considering spending 569 for a used MB212 and throwing in the extra money for a year waranty, wouldn't they be better suited getting a brand new one for the same price?

16. GRAHAM SG1

GRAHAM SG1

May 3, 2010
    I would avoid the MB212 based on personal experience and the number of faults reported by owners on this forum, I posted a poll for users who had suffered a fault with their MB212 and the ratio was about 50% fault rate which is not great, I had the MB210 as well and that was ok but the 212 seems failure prone :rollno:
    Its not cheap at £600 here in the UK .

17. Ken J

Ken J Hartford Hot Several Brass Band

Aug 19, 2011
    Middlefield, CT
    Just graduated from Behringer 1200 and 1800 to a GK. I picked up the GK115, 200 watt from GC for under $350.00. I don’t know why I didn’t do this sooner. Half the weight and twice the sound.

18. Blade3dge

Blade3dge

May 19, 2009
    New question, bump :)

19. Zapp

Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    this is the one i'm wanting to hear.
    what are you playing through it and how's the punch?

20. ialma

ialma Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2006
    South Italy
    Same problem here.
    Faulty speaker starting to distort without reasons on my MB212 and a customer service who does not care answering my mail.
    -1 for GK