Gallien Krueger MB500 Bass and Treble knobs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Clemouze, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Clemouze

Clemouze

Sep 1, 2016
    Paris - France
    Salut all

Just curious, how do you set your Bass and treble knobs ? Do you find them easy to dial ? What cab are you using ?

I fiund them very STRONG, without HPF/LPF I only achieved to get a usable tone with bass knob at less than 11 o'clock and treble less than 10' o'clock.

I use Gallien Krueger NEO 410 and NEO 112

More bass knob and it was boom town and more treble knob and the cling clang metallic tone makes me lose some dB of hearings in the highs.

I'd like to know if someone use them at natural without filtres and how !

Now with HPF at 70/80Hz I use bass knob (60Hz ) at 1 or 2 o'clock, nice deep no boom
    With LPF at 3.5 KHz my treble knob (7 KHz) is at 10 or 11 o'clock

But still my high mid (1K) and low mid (250) stay at 1 o'clock . I only play with mids by touching contour knob at MAXIMUM 11 o'clock, my usual tone at 10 o'clock

Very happy with the tone !

2. nikgilbe

nikgilbe

Jun 3, 2017
    Hi, had no issues using mine with 2x Neo 112

Bass and low mids tend to be around 11 o'clock, and high mids/treble probably 12/1 o'clock.

Spidey2112 and Clemouze like this.
  3. Flat setting for MB500 is 10:30 treble, 1:00 hi-mid, 1:30 lo-mid and 10:30 bass knobs. Probably a good starting point. You could see how someone thinking all knobs at noon would get a pretty scooped tone.

Spidey2112, Clemouze and RattleSnack like this.
  4. RattleSnack

RattleSnack

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    I had MB500, now have MB115 combo (has MB200 head inside), and always put little cut on bass and treble, and boost on mids, just like you said.

Spidey2112 and Clemouze like this.
  5. Clemouze

Clemouze

Sep 1, 2016
    Paris - France
    Thanks for the answers

So it seems I like ( without filters ) my GK tone "flat" !

6. RattleSnack

RattleSnack

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    Another thing is what is cabs freq response. Generaly speaking and IME, 4x10 cabs can be boomy, so it's ok to cut bass if it sounds cleaner.
    BTW MB500 has inbuilt HPF set on 40Hz.

eriky4003 and Spidey2112 like this.
  7. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I have an MB500 I couple with either one or two GK Neo 212's... the best compliments I've had were when I didn't stray too far from GK's suggested 'rock' setting (the high mid and low mid settings increased by 1 hour, I think). The bass I used was a Highway One Jazz, with Pressurewounds on it... I'm happy with that particular combination, as well.

Clemouze likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2022