1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gallien Krueger MB500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BeanzCorp, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Should I buy this? I've read reviews, some people love it but some people absolutely hate it because they break down. I Love GK but i'm a lil but unsure about this one. Help please :)

2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I own one of these. I love it. Great clean, solid-state tone. Lightweight, powerful and extremely compact.

The unit I received was in fact out of order. It would receive power, all the lights would light up...by no sound. I sent it back to GK, and within a couple weeks or so got it back in fine working order.

So yeah, the possibility of a bug does exist. But GK will take care of it for you. Although the fact you're in the UK may complicate matters. Best to see where the nearest GK service center is - just in case... :meh:

MM

3. Cool. Also, is this good for 25'000+ people outdoor venue? or is it not quite powerful enough?

4. Depends on the speaker cabs you pair it with and PA/no PA support? 25,000 people for any single amp is asking a lot!

5. With PA , Usually GK Neo Cabs on stage

6. I usually use GK 700RB II but i'm fed up of hiring and want to buy my own

7. Expect about the same from the MB500 as the 700RB II (the slight bump in wattage from the MB500 won't be noticeable) but no biamp on the MB500. :)

8. Will the lack of bi-amp make a huge difference? i've never really noticed it or known how to get the most of it :)

9. Only to keep high boost out of the tweeter horn. If you run into a nasty sound from the horn with high boost control, just use the cabs control to turn it down/off. :)

10. Igotsoul4u

Igotsoul4u

Nov 3, 2011
    Princeton
    If you need power get the MB800. I have a MB500 and love it. It's the newer build with speakon only outs so not sure if the old issue was resolved. Time will tell but you get 2 years of warranty coverage which should be enough time to spot a lemon. I have received lots of compliments on my tone since I got it so i guess that's a good sign. I personally love having 500 watts in my gigbag pocket.

11. depthman6

depthman6

Dec 21, 2011
    If this is the solid state one, it sucks don't buy it.... The first one I got the amp didn't connect to the speaker , ie no sound came out. Now I have a working one but the tweeter buzzed like a mofo and so I had to unscrew it and remove the cage. And what did this reveal? Nothing but how ****** the tone of this thing actually was.... Lol I hate this amp a waste of money.... I learned my lesson never go solid state on anything other than a 30 watt practice amplifier.... It distorts a he'll of a lot when you want to get loud enough to compete with even the quietest of drummers.... Tl, dr THIS AMP IS A P.O.S. do not buy

12. Yeah that post didn't even deserve a response.:rollno:

13. :bawl::bawl::rollno:
    Last time i checked, there are no tweeters in this head, yes its "solid state" but it weighs 10 pounds instead of 90 and does'nt need $300 in tubes every six months because its bouncing around in the back of the van.And YOU are the one that needs to connect the speaker! i have the mb800,i have , played everything from 300 ppl bars to 1500 ppl ballrooms, and have the fatest sound with absolutly no problems what so ever. And with the right cabs i dont see why i could'nt work for large out door venues . Yes the first mb5 units had issues like any new technology, but i know of people that have the mb5 with no issues , i could'nt be happier with my mb8 2/2x12 rig and the whole rig weighs less than 100 lbs, sorry you did'nt like yours! sound like you have more issues than just the amp, take chefs advice SMILE MORE OK!

14. rojo412

rojo412 Walnut is fun! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I absolutely love mine.
    Played an outdoor gig, no PA support for the bass. Just this head and an Aguilar 2x12...
    it sounded phenomenal and I had juice to spare.

15. I have one and recommend it. If you have a problem with it, at least it's very easy to send back.

16. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Have it. Love it.

25,000 people?

Get the mb800.

17. If you're playing before 25,000, hire a fully-equipped sound tech!

18. Or maybe 2 mb800 with 2 8x10 OH YEA! sign me up, I'll do it for free

19. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    These are superb heads at a very fair price point. There were some reliability issues with earliest versions that seem to have been resolved.

20. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    At that level you should consult your sound tech... you've got one... right? :scowl: