1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gallien-Krueger Neo 212 Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by toniwonkanobi, Aug 31, 2008.

1. toniwonkanobi

toniwonkanobi Supporting Member

May 23, 2008
    Northern California
    Endorsing 1964 Ears, LLC.
    I was just curious if anyone knows the best way to get a hold of a GK neo 212 cab (new or used). I've checked ebay, craigslist, TB classifieds, Harmony central classifieds, and randomly on google, but other than paying like $800+ retail on some obscure [sometimes overseas] sites, i've had no luck. Any suggestions?

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Get an Avatar. I have owned both. The GK is a very small form factor and I think because of that it doesn't produce the low end it should.

Check Ebay, here, craigslist etc. They aren't 800.00 from RMC Audio.

3. toniwonkanobi

May 23, 2008
    Northern California
    I've heard that the avatar saves on weight and sacrifices some sound quality because if its lack of bracing. They seem like a backline company to me? No? Maybe i'm wrong..
    Anyways, i appreciate your post. thanks.

4. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Sacrifices sound quality???????

Wow. This Avatar 212 I have is one of the best cabs I have ever heard and I have owned in the tens of thousands of dollars in different high end and low end gear.

I wonder if someone that actually played that cab made that remark or someone that just looks at specs made that assumption.

5. toniwonkanobi

May 23, 2008
    Northern California
    I couldn't tell you who told that small bit about avatar quality. I suppose it makes sense, though: how could a $339 212 be the same quality as a GK 212 that cost $800? or an epifani 212 that costs $900, or an ebs 212 that costs the same? Again, there are plenty of examples of cheap stuff doing well compared to expensive stuff -- but the ol' saying is usually right.

Also, i guess i was drawing from a comparison made between the GK neo 410 and the markbass neo 410/avatar neo 410 and some other companies. it is this: the GK one has separate chambers for each of the four speakers to eliminate standing waves. This makes GK heavier than the other companies neo cabs, but supposedly it sounds better. who knows. I'm not sure, but i don't think think SUPER lightweight neo cab companies' are doing that in their 410's, at least. Maybe that comparison doesn't apply to 212 cabs, but i thought it spoke the relative values of various cabinets.
    Thanks for posting.

6. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Price does not = sound quality. Ever.

7. toniwonkanobi

May 23, 2008
    Northern California
    Does anyone have any insight as to how i can get a GK neo 212 cab?

8. JFace

JFace

Apr 17, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    rmcaudio.com

Best GK prices anywhere, and great people.

9. toniwonkanobi

May 23, 2008
    Northern California
    last time i checked, it was the venerable "19-20 days" wait. sigh. i'll check back. Thanks for your post.

10. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    You might have trouble finding one now because G-K is revising its Neo 112 and 212 to be able to stack with the newer Neo cabs with tens. That might be the issue.

As for Avatar, they're less expensive partly because they sell direct, so there's no dealer markup. They are excellent cabs, and incredible bargains.

11. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    +1

12. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    I have owned and played both. The GK 212 is a decent cab but has a very noisy tweeter and no matter how you EQ it, the tweeter is very harsh and brittle (at least with the GK heads). The Avatar cab has more lo mid punch and bottom end presence than the GK and the tweeter is a lot more pleasant. Plus with the nice Line X coating the Avatar is more durable IMO. I unloaded my GK after using the Avatar 212. You just can't go wrong with it for the money. In terms of build, quality, Avatars are rock solid. In fact, many TB'ers complain that they are unnecessarily overbuilt adding extra unneeded weight. Unless you are really into GK and want a matching rig or something, I would highly recommend the Avatar cab over the GK. Heck, for $800 you could nearly get an Epifani 212 which I guarantee is better than the GK anytime, anyplace.

13. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    I own and use a GK Neo 212. Great cab. I'm also looking a second one and the reality is, GK has redesigned both the 112 and 212 cabs. Changed the dimensions to make their whole Neo line stack compatible. I hear the new cabs won't be available for 1-2 months, and finding one of the older ones will be challenging as it's not a cab most retailers would have kept stock on. That's all I know....

14. toytech

toytech

Mar 22, 2004
    San Leandro
    Where are you located, I have one in northern cal I might part with.

15. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY

I have no such issue with my tweeters.

16. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    Ditto..... especially using the HMS on the GK heads.

Granted, the Avatars are a smokin' deal. And if you think it delivers, especially when compared to the price, then it's an incredible value.

Myself..... I did not like the Avatar 212. In fact, I thought it lacked in low mid punch, was a bit "mushy" on the bottom (I hate loose booty), and didn't have quite the full range tone of the GK 212.... but to each their own. You'll just have to try one out and see if it delivers. (edit... the avatar I tried was used, so there could have been a problem, but I don't think so)

Ljazz

17. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    The following is a post from one of the tech people over at the Gallien Krueger forum:

"KILLING ALL RUMORS-
    The current NEO112 & NEO212 is still available(I have seen them here in our wherehouse).
    They are both being redesigned so that you can stack them on the NEO410 & NEO115. They will be available within 60 days."

FWIW, I just purchased another (old style) GK Neo 212 cabinet from rmcaudio earlier today... so the old style cabinets are still available.

18. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
  19. D-Man VanKrill

D-Man VanKrill

Dec 4, 2007
    Alaska
    Gallien-Krueger Just redesigned all the Neo cabinets 2x12s, 1x15s and, I believe, the 1x12 and 4x12s. This is excluding the newer 4x10 because they are redesigning them to all be stackable with eachother. Also the 1x15 has been improved to take 400watt rms instead of the previous 300watts (a real improvment if you ask me).
    But aside from dimensions, a new logo and, in the case of the 1x15, 100 extra watts, I don't believe anything else is different. The only thing is that GK is just taking their time in getting the new product to the dealers. My guess is that the bass cabs will be all restocked in a month or two form now.
    Also if you want to buy new I would rcommend RMC Audio @ rmcaudio.com for the absolute best deal I could find for new Gallien-Krueger products.

Best Wishes,
    -Dillon